MG5 review after covering 120,000 miles.

It is true that there is a switch to turn HVAC on or off, which is good. However, this is only good if you have it set correctly in the first place. Even then, if you turn it off, you have to go back into settings to turn off recirculation. Turning on the heated seats requires you to use the screen and if moving, one finds the button to be very small and difficult to hit. This is a significant step back from the pre-facelift.
I Agree, having to set anything that is frequently used by delving into screens with eyes off the road and hand off the wheel is not an advance in common sense or practicality. I also believe most consumers will agree judging from comments by reviewers and consumers alike.
However manufacturers want to show off their software capabilities, plus it's cheaper to make without switches and buttons.

Long live buttons and switches.

A lot of this here is a matter of personal choice I was one of the first to have the MG5 it was a SR exclusive as the LR did not arrive here for many months after I got my SR and I was very happy with that car most of the time I had it, only did the swop to the new FL because I made money on the old one and the trophy I have now as a few bits on it the the SR didn’t the main ones being bigger battery with hopefully more range no it hasn’t really but more on that later, better headlights by some way yes, better interior lighting yes,and it appears a little quieter on the road perhaps at times, the seats or firmer so for me not quite as comfortable as my old one was, the range even on the bigger battery is no better than my SR was in fact in winter a little worse I would say, this is believed by some to be due to the bigger wheels, but I have driven the SR 225 miles in summer from south wales to home serval times up the center of wales without touching a motorway and the FL is no better at doing that same drive at all.

The touch screen I agree is not the best and very hit or miss the HVAC is easy enough for me set it and forget it and use the on off buttons and demist button when needed having windows open only a tiny amount allows water to drip in when its raining so you need the demist on the SR was the same but the recirculating button and seat heaters in the screen is poor that I do agree with Paul on.

The NCAP I have said many times is not worth the paper it’s written on and on all cars not only MG having to reset driving controls every time you start the cars is ridiculous but it was explained to me that car rental companies for example need this to happen to make sure every driver has the same set up so that I can understand, but the should be away to switch it on or off which there isn’t madness for me. My old SR had cruise control no issues with that set your speed it stays there until you turn it of or touch the brake, this ACC on the new one I did not like at all and don’t use it much LKA a joke on the all models and no need for it, we can go on all day but it is what it is and you learn to live with it, well it’s a case of having to once you own any car or change it, which at this currant time means losing a lot of money.
Les

I agree with you. Strangely enough, I find the ACC better than normal cruise and use it all the time. In London traffic, I have driven quite long distances, nearly all at 20 mph, without touching the accelerator. MG Pilot on motorway journeys is equally useful. Unlike most people, I have had no problems with LKA or EBA, although both are set low. I forgot to mention the rear courtesy lights; especially now I have changed them to LED, they are so much better. I didn't realise how much I missed them.

Ok Paul maybe we have different set ups or something is wrong with my car, but on roads around me sometimes when approaching a manhole cover the car will brake or pull to one side more so at slow speeds 20 mph, on motorways at say 60 mph more than once when I get closer to something in front its brakes and as I pull out to overtake it doesn’t want to go fir a short time or until I press the accelerator.
No don’t like it most of the time just turn it off
Les

Considering that EV cars using public (rapid) chargers are considerable more expensive to run than cheap petrol cars, I think not.
It depends on a few things. If you start your day with a full battery charged at home and only top up using a rapid charger to get home again that will make a huge difference. If you use the Tesla superchargers wherever you can theyre half the price of most of the others, so maybe not quite so clear cut.

Ok Paul maybe we have different set ups or something is wrong with my car, but on roads around me sometimes when approaching a manhole cover the car will brake or pull to one side more so at slow speeds 20 mph, on motorways at say 60 mph more than once when I get closer to something in front its brakes and as I pull out to overtake it doesn’t want to go fir a short time or until I press the accelerator.
No don’t like it most of the time just turn it off
Les
I get the occasional stab of the brakes on the motorway. Don’t know why it does it. It not as if I’m close to anything - car gets spooked, I swear at it, and then it’s fine.

Whilst I have to concede that the Trophy is an upgrade on the SR I had before, the HVAC controls are a step back. Placing any vehicle related interaction on a touchscreen, let alone essential controls, is a serious safety issue and can potentially leave many drivers unfairly at risk of driving without due care and attention
Agreed... I've driven a 73 plate ZS EV a coupe of time whilst my MG5 was being serviced/repaired, and found the heating controls way better than the screen based version. Two controls, both easily found by touch, each with up and down settings. So the fan speed and temp can be adjusted without taking your eyes off the road at all. IMHO all essential setting should be made via easily learnt physical buttons, so the NCAP changes are welcome.

Don't anybody get too excited about the NCAP changes requiring buttons. They don't apply to any of the things we would want, just the basics we already have (apart from Tesla and possibly others I don't know about).

The European New Car Assessment Programme (NCAP) is revamping its rating system starting Jan. 1, 2026 to mandate that five of a car's primary controls — its horn, windshield wipers, turn signals, hazard warning lights and SOS features — will need physical buttons or switches.

I just bought a pre-loved 52kWh MG5 2021 model, waiting for the day I can go and pick it up later this week. Reading through this forum gives me fabulous "confirmation bias"! 🙃We are getting rid of our last fossil-fueled car, and I'm passing my Nissan Leaf to my wife. I am stoked that we won't have to go to a fuel pump again, hopefully forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom