1100 Miles and in the garage - engine management light

Rob Healy

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I’m spurring this off as it is now a separate issue from the bit I’d mentioned in the Radio Module Initialising post.

In a nutshell, I was driving on the M11 on Wednesday when the yellow engine management light came on, with a warning message for me to check the handbook.

Once I’d parked safely, I checked the book and it recommended calling the MG dealership.

I was taking the car in anyway for the radio issue, and I knew that it wouldn’t be a quick turnaround as they were busy.

I received a call about an hour ago, and was told that they had to order various parts including valves and pipes and although this is a common thing (on such a new car?), they were on back order and they don’t know when they’ll be in.

In the meantime, I’m due to receive a hire car -probably not until Monday, because today is Friday (!) until the repairs have been made under warranty.

I’m a bit bemused because it’s obviously nothing I’ve done, but for such a new car to have issues such as this is a bit worrisome. There’s also a recall for some kind of update that I wouldn’t have known about without taking my car to the service centre.

I haven’t read of any similar issues on the forum yet so I’m guessing it’s just bad luck. I’ve had the car since the end of May and have covered about 1100 miles from new.

Because I still haven’t moved, I have to rely on supermarket charging, so I’m roughly thinking 700 ICE vs 400 EV.
I did followed the advice to keep it slow for first 1000 miles especially when using engine though I think I’ve it used it for under 300 miles. Sounds a bit scary - worse than it probably is. Most annoying thing though is that MG do not have stock of parts - even glass had to be ordered from China at present

I did followed the advice to keep it slow for first 1000 miles especially when using engine though I think I’ve it used it for under 300 miles. Sounds a bit scary - worse than it probably is. Most annoying thing though is that MG do not have stock of parts - even glass had to be ordered from China at present
I have also taken it easy, I haven’t been on any excessively long drives. Will wait and see what happens I guess.

Wow really sorry to hear it my friend, hope they will fix it asap.

1. What was the yellow sign issue? They explained it?
2. They fix the radio?
3. Which update is part of the recall?

They were a bit vague as to exactly what was wrong.
1. Haven’t explained in great detail. On the phone they didn’t seem too phased, but I think it’s more than they first thought.
2. Not sure yet
3. Again, I’m not sure.
Will contact them again on Monday and make some notes. They caught me off guard when they called me earlier. I was in the middle of something and unable to write things down.

They were a bit vague as to exactly what was wrong.
1. Haven’t explained in great detail. On the phone they didn’t seem too phased, but I think it’s more than they first thought.
2. Not sure yet
3. Again, I’m not sure.
Will contact them again on Monday and make some notes. They caught me off guard when they called me earlier. I was in the middle of something and unable to write things down.
Another user in MG5 forum had some work done on his car under warranty. He received a printed report with a brief of work carried out.

Another user in MG5 forum had some work done on his car under warranty. He received a printed report with a brief of work carried out.
Thanks, that’s handy to know. I’ll see about getting a copy when I get my car back 🙂

Well here’s a bit of an update…

I received a Vauxhall Mokka as a hire/courtesy car on 19th July, and having not heard anything from MG about my car, I called them yesterday to see what was going on. I was told that parts are still on back order, coming from China.

I queried the hire car as it is supposed to go back on Friday 30th. I was told to ring Europcar. Europcar told me to speak to MG so I called the dealership back. They told me I have to speak to MG head office. I then rang head office but despite leaving a message, I didn’t get a call back.

I rang again this morning and spoke to a very helpful lady who first tried telling me that I need to speak to the dealership about extending the hire car but I managed to explain what had happened. I told her how frustrated I was with the whole situation with my now 8-week old car being at the dealership for 13 days, and that I’m seriously considering handing the car back and cancelling.

I received an email from customer services earlier, apologising about the hire car situation (nothing else) and telling me I should go through the dealership (er, I have been) in future, rather than head office.

I will see how things go in the next week or so, but I am far from happy.

Well here’s a bit of an update…

I received a Vauxhall Mokka as a hire/courtesy car on 19th July, and having not heard anything from MG about my car, I called them yesterday to see what was going on. I was told that parts are still on back order, coming from China.

I queried the hire car as it is supposed to go back on Friday 30th. I was told to ring Europcar. Europcar told me to speak to MG so I called the dealership back. They told me I have to speak to MG head office. I then rang head office but despite leaving a message, I didn’t get a call back.

I rang again this morning and spoke to a very helpful lady who first tried telling me that I need to speak to the dealership about extending the hire car but I managed to explain what had happened. I told her how frustrated I was with the whole situation with my now 8-week old car being at the dealership for 13 days, and that I’m seriously considering handing the car back and cancelling.

I received an email from customer services earlier, apologising about the hire car situation (nothing else) and telling me I should go through the dealership (er, I have been) in future, rather than head office.

I will see how things go in the next week or so, but I am far from happy.
They didn't fixed your issues? With radio etc?

Lots of car manufacturers are struggling to get parts, have heard of Beemers off the road for weeks.
Yes, that might be separate issue( logistics hold up due to lack of drivers or supply issues caused by semiconductor shortages). With MG, they seem to stock frequently needed parts in UK(which I assume are bought in bulk from China). When not in stock they seem to take forever to arrive.
A fellow member had charging relays on order and it took a couple of weeks to arrive. Maybe MG should look at improving their inventory management process. I am sure you would agree that MG UK seem to be rather poor when it comes to processes.

I can only speculate but few of the items I have ordered in past from India do get stuck at ports for several weeks ( Southampton if by sea, Heathrow for air). It is possible items arriving from China struggle to get quick clearence on ports. Post Brexit, I suppose even spare parts arriving from EU struggle to move quickly across the border...

Nothing to do with Brexit. China is sucking up all the containers to ensure their goods get to markets before anyone else’s. Container prices have risen 10 fold in 18 months ($3000 to $30000). And Covid isn’t helping either, causing transport labour shortages and so on. Just the same in Germany and elsewhere. MG have probably been caught by the surprising sales surge in the UK in the past year, and the parts are not keeping up. It does concern me about buying one if parts are a problem.

Nothing to do with Brexit. China is sucking up all the containers to ensure their goods get to markets before anyone else’s. Container prices have risen 10 fold in 18 months ($3000 to $30000). And Covid isn’t helping either, causing transport labour shortages and so on. Just the same in Germany and elsewhere. MG have probably been caught by the surprising sales surge in the UK in the past year, and the parts are not keeping up. It does concern me about buying one if parts are a problem.
I suppose it is the same case for Kia and Hyundai, No? As you mentioned, this might affect every automobile manufacturer.

It affects any sector that imports goods from anywhere. Try and get imported building materials, try and get goods (such toys, clothes) out of Bangladesh or Vietnam. This is also affecting Europe and US too.

Three weeks have now passed since my car had the engine management light (and radio) troubles. Three weeks since my car has been in the garage.
Parts have finally arrived but one of them didn't work, so more parts are on order from China. Not a happy bunny now. But nobody at MG seems to care.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom