• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

12v battery charging when driving ZS Gen 2 only

What voltage do you get on 12v battery when driving?

• Lower then 13.8v

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 13.8v

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • 14.1v

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Higher than 14.1

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

N2STY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Been look at gen2/mk2/facelift posts and it looks like people that got the car a bit earlier it charges at 14.1 when ready/driving but my Sept car is charging at 13.8 I did wounder if this is one of the updates?
If you get the 14.1v does the unlock car release the charge cable and restart if you don't remove it?

Last edited:
I have the MG5 and the 12v battery shows as either 13.8V or 14.1V while driving.

I've seen anything from 13.7-14.5 Volts.
In the poll, I'd have to tick all of the boxes!

My 2020 is always at 6 bars on the 12v gauge, which I guess is 14v.
Occasionally in Winter, when I have lights, rear demister and heated seats on, it starts at 5 bars then goes up to 6 after a couple minutes.

No, an MG5 in my case but the underlying functionality will be the same.
You would think so but like regn on cruise control the cars have different setups I am just going on posts where I have seen people say there gen2 is 14.1 and others say 13.8 and as mine has been a fixed number was wondering if the update was reason don't really need mg5 and gen1 in the mix it will just muddy the water

On our ZS EV Trophy LR ( collected in March 22 ) the 12 volt battery voltage does shift around a little, but I guess this is to be expected, given what charge rate is being demanded to satisfy the required SOC at that required time ?.
Parked and at rest, according to the App - It alternates from 13.1 - 13 .3 volts.
This slowly increases to around 14 .1 volts, with the car is in READY mode and therefore receiving a charge from the inverter / HV pack ( with car at a standing still ).
On the move, it is around 14.1 - 14.5 volts.
Too be totally honest, because the 12 volt battery status is not the default screen on the ZS EV Gen 2 - I am not checking it as often as I should do !.
On the Gen 1 - The 12 voltage battery status gauge was permanent displayed in the dash panel, so very difficult to disregard really.

The highest voltage I have even seen it report was when it was pulling a charge from our wall box and it achieved 14.8 Volts according to the App ( See photo below ).
But we know that these figures can be a little different to what we actually seen inside of the car.
E.G. - If I check the predicted range after charging to 80% overnight, the App will display a range of 212 miles.
If I enter the car, it actually predicts a range of 211 miles, this is a regular feature.
As when the App reports that the sky roof is some times open when it is clearly is not and omits to report the either the ambient temp or the temp inside of the cabin on the first pass of the health check.
Rerunning the health check for the second time usually corrects this information.
The electric window status was removed I believe, because it gave too many incorrect status reports on their open / closed condition.

IMG_7895.jpg

@Lovemyev and can you confirm you have the up date that let's you unlock your car to pause the charge?
@N2STY - Sorry, I forgot to include that info for you !.
I am fairly sure that my car has NOT received any updates ( unless any where applied at the time of the PDI by the Chorley lads ).
If the car is charging from our A/C wall box and I unlock the car with the fob, it still continue's to charge and does not allow you to release the charging cable from the charging port.
It has not been back into a dealer yet ( phew ! ) since collection day and we have covered about 6,000 miles in about six months.
As I side note - It has not thrown up the service request light yet either.
It's first service is due in Feb 2023 when it will make the 200 mile around trip to the Chorley lads.
I expect it will receive any updates then.
I am more than happy to leave things as they are at present, we had some problems with our Gen 1 so I do not want to repeat that exercise in a hurry !.

If the car is charging from our A/C wall box and I unlock the car with the fob, it still continue's to charge and does not allow you to release the charging cable from the charging port.
OK thank you that the sort of info I wanted and suspected for 14.1v in ready

I am just popping out to collect the grand children from school, I will bring up the 12 volt battery screen and promise to get back to you on its readings, latter ! (y) .
P.S. - Car has been out this morning ( HVAC running ) and has sat on the drive for about four hours.
The weather is terrible and I have just checked the 12 volt battery SOC.
It is displaying the expected 13.1 volts, it usually reports around 13.1 - 13.3 volts in that ball park.

Quick update @N2STY .
Voltage displaying 13.1 volts as we left, quickly it started to rise to 14.1 volts.
We have the HVAC running and the dash panel reports a steady 14.1 volts, no different if I turn the HVAC on or off !.
Still 14.1 volts.
Regarding the difference of results between the car and the App.
At this very minute, the car reports 14.1 volts, the App reports 14.7 volts !.
Even after refreshing the App a number of times.

A7D14198-7F06-415F-9056-190EBAA2B9F0.jpeg

E277D4FD-CD12-4850-8951-644283716264.jpeg

So far the easy way to look at in ready mode only 14.1v older software 13.8v newer software ie unlock will pause charge so you can remove cable on AC

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom