• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

1st service cost on an MG HS PHEV

ColinB

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
My car is due for its first service at the end of next month (July ). The mileage by then will be circa 7500/8000 and the car hasn’t and doesn’t have any issues so the service should just be basic. I propose to have the service carried out by the MG garage where I purchased the car and who are quoting £214.60. I would be grateful if other owners of the same car would advise if this is the going rate. I’ve been pleased with the car. It’s comfortable, attractive in Farringdon Red, goes well and at 65.4 mpg is economical. Like most drivers I’m guessing, for all my local driving I put it into EV mode and the mpg figure reflects this and several ” normal “ longer journeys where I let the car sort out the modes Itself. I had the windows tinted almost immediately after I purchased it because it was a real hot house in the sun, and it’s better now. Had locking wheel nuts, car mats, and a rubber boot mat fitted. No real dislikes. The interior mirror does obstruct my forward left view even after adjusting it. I wish the mirrors would stay folded up to 30mph rather than 10mph so that I could drive along country lanes without dreading the sight of an oncoming vehicle. Early on the lapse in gear change in EV mode did catch me out at c50mph but now I allow for it. Overall I consider it to be a good PHEV and excellent value.

Hi
my exclusive is next month as well I did take out a service plan and the service is fixed at £168 and my car will be around 7000 mile. Price would gone up from then would think it be around the price you say, I will ask at the service,

Have you tried to disable auto fold on the mirrors. I find that then allows you to fold them when seeing on coming traffic on country lane. This also works on the MG5 I had.

Hi Colin,

I have copied my post re servicing and service packs below. As you caan see it pays to shop around. It seems to me that the service packs, if priced correctly are good value.

Paul

"It does all seem to be a bit of a muddle. Here is a brief synopsis of my experience:

I went direct to the company that actually provide the service plan to the dealers. They were quite rude and difficult to deal with, including denying ever receiving an e-mail enquiry from me. Basically telling me to go through the dealer, who has constantly told me there is no Service Plan.

Dealer 1)
"Your car is due to be serviced next Month, so cannot be included in plan, So I will quote for service 1 on its own , then a 4 year (service 2-5) as a service plan. "
£250 service 1 and:

Service 2 £370
Service 3 £490
Service 4 £475
Service 5 £250

Year 2-5 total cost £1640

So £250 plus £35 per Month for 5 years.

Me: We are a 7,000 miles per year owner - is there a low mileage plan?
Dealer - No
Me: Here is a screen shot from MG website detailing the "low Mileage" service schedule.
Dealer - I have double checked and your car has to be serviced every year, there is no low mileage schedule.

Dealer 2

"You cannot pay for service 1 on its own, it has to be in the service Plan but you have to pay in advance for it. You can only have a 3 year plan. You can add on more years once it is running "

Service 1/2/3

Pay £199 up front, then £26 per Month for 12 Months - then nothing for next 12 Months (I have checked twice this is correct)

Total for first 3 years £511.62 (against £250+£370+£490 = £1,110 from garage 1) So less than half price.

Amazingly these are both backed by the same Service Plan Company, so clearly the dealers just make the rules up.
I look forward to hearing how you all get on. Clearly, please do not share my user name with any dealer!"

Hi
I do not think there is a dealer wide fix price service cost like with so makes, I had sercive plan for my peugeot And could be serviced at any Peugeot garage. My dealer is a small family run garage so has its own service cost set.

Hi JTO,

Quote from above:

"Amazingly these are both backed by the same Service Plan Company"

I have the paperwork and the service plan company for both quotes is the same one.

Below is from my paperwor.

Standard Services

1st £164.36
2nd £296.75
3rd £287.06
1x MOT £54.85

I had mine serviced last week at MG Leeds. Was just under £190 including vat. This was the 1st service. Bizarrely it needs new rear discs and pads at under 5000 miles. Apparantly the discs are corroded badly and have damaged the pads. Covered under a 12 month warranty for brakes. I was told it's quite common.

I had mine serviced last week at MG Leeds. Was just under £190 including vat. This was the 1st service. Bizarrely it needs new rear discs and pads at under 5000 miles. Apparantly the discs are corroded badly and have damaged the pads. Covered under a 12 month warranty for brakes. I was told it's quite common.

I had my first service with Luscombe MG Leeds too at the back end of May. Nothing reported and the car has done just over 5000 miles. I’m on a service plan with them but now I know how much it actually costs.

Did not opt for a monthly DD service plan when I bought my HS PHEV. I learned that they actually charge an 'admin/management fee' for the DD of a quid or two per month for absolutely nothing which annoyed me!

The first service (~just over 11 months old and 10,400miles) cost me £184 at local dealership.

From reading above it sounds like there are a lot of cowboy dealers out there with extremely variable fixed plan and pay as you go charges. So shop around I guess!

A work colleague had a Nissan juke, he was quoted £367 for his first service circa 5000 miles covered from the nissan dealer he bought the car from
He told them no way and politely ended the call, mumbling I'll think about it.
They called him back 2 days later and said a new guy had quoted him wrong, now £240.
Moral of the story is most dealers are out to get what they can as most people will grumble but still pay up.

Have you tried to disable auto fold on the mirrors. I find that then allows you to fold them when seeing on coming traffic on country lane. This also works on the MG5 I had.
Hi C6MFC Re; MG HS
My MG dealer insists the folding mirrors cannot be reprogrammed. That they can only be folded in below 12mph and automatically fold out above 12mph is very annoying.
Can you or anyone shed any light on how to disable this function? Thanks

Last edited:
When I ordered my HS PHEV I asked about a service agreement, at the time none was offered by MG. However the dealer promised to let me know as soon as this was reintroduced. I collected my car in March 22 and again asked about a service agreement, again this was not available but again I was promised that as soon as it was I would be informed, The other day I was trying to find something on the infotainment and noticed an option to find when service was due, funnily enough it was the day before. I thought the car would tell me a service was due, it often tells me my wheels are not straight so I can only assume servicing is less of a priority than having your wheels straight!
Phoned the dealer's service section and was told no one was available to help and could they phone me back in 30 min. Needless to say 30 min came and went and no call the following day either. I then had to phone them back and got the same response, no one was available and could they phone me back in about 10 minutes. I said No, that's what you said last time. After some faffing about I did book it in but am apprehensive about standard of the dealers customer service, There was also a problem the mats they fitted, as they did not fit. MG agreed to credit the dealer and the dealer agreed to refund me with cost of mats that did fit. I also inquired about getting the software up dated, again I was promised a call back once they had spoken to MG. No call was received. I telephoned the salesman 3 more times each time I was promised a call back, no call received.
Now a year later I have to pay the non service agreement price because the dealer could not be bothered to let me know it had been reintroduced. As regards the mats I have no idea, no confirmation whatsoever.
My wife picked up her new Kona MH around the same time I picked up the MG. A few weeks ago the Kona's dash advised the service was due, the dealer did likewise and could not have been more helpful. After the service she got a letter from the dealers MD thanking her for her custom.

With my other car (Ford), I still get a good old fashioned letter through the post telling me the service is due!

Hi C6MFC Re; MG HS
My MG dealer insists the folding mirrors cannot be reprogrammed. That they can only be folded in below 12mph and automatically fold out above 12mph is very annoying.
Can you or anyone shed any light on how to disable this function? Thanks
The dealer is wrong. go to car settings "other" and switch off AUTO fold. you can then fold them on the move I can do it on a country lane a 50mph. Mirrors can be a bit prone to needing lub for effective folding it was the same on my MG5.

Fortunately, when I bought the car, there was a special campaign from the seller that week. From 3 options I chose a 3 year free service deal. It has had its second now. After its 3rd I plan to get a new car.

My car is due for its first service at the end of next month (July ). The mileage by then will be circa 7500/8000 and the car hasn’t and doesn’t have any issues so the service should just be basic. I propose to have the service carried out by the MG garage where I purchased the car and who are quoting £214.60. I would be grateful if other owners of the same car would advise if this is the going rate. I’ve been pleased with the car. It’s comfortable, attractive in Farringdon Red, goes well and at 65.4 mpg is economical. Like most drivers I’m guessing, for all my local driving I put it into EV mode and the mpg figure reflects this and several ” normal “ longer journeys where I let the car sort out the modes Itself. I had the windows tinted almost immediately after I purchased it because it was a real hot house in the sun, and it’s better now. Had locking wheel nuts, car mats, and a rubber boot mat fitted. No real dislikes. The interior mirror does obstruct my forward left view even after adjusting it. I wish the mirrors would stay folded up to 30mph rather than 10mph so that I could drive along country lanes without dreading the sight of an oncoming vehicle. Early on the lapse in gear change in EV mode did catch me out at c50mph but now I allow for it. Overall I consider it to be a good PHEV and excellent value.
£218 is the standard rate for an MG dealer service. Don’t be lulled by the 3 year dealer service plan at <>£800 and paid monthly. It means you pay around £400 in the first year for a £200 service. My advice - pay as you go.

Hi Paul BJ,

Below is my experience of dealers and service packs. I think the best idea is to shop around:

I have copied my post re servicing and service packs below. As you can see it pays to shop around. It seems to me that the service packs, if priced correctly are good value.

Paul

"It does all seem to be a bit of a muddle. Here is a brief synopsis of my experience:

I went direct to the company that actually provide the service plan to the dealers. They were quite rude and difficult to deal with, including denying ever receiving an e-mail enquiry from me. Basically telling me to go through the dealer, who has constantly told me there is no Service Plan.

Dealer 1)
"Your car is due to be serviced next Month, so cannot be included in plan, So I will quote for service 1 on its own , then a 4 year (service 2-5) as a service plan. "
£250 service 1 and:

Service 2 £370
Service 3 £490
Service 4 £475
Service 5 £250

Year 2-5 total cost £1640

So £250 plus £35 per Month for 5 years.

Me: We are a 7,000 miles per year owner - is there a low mileage plan?
Dealer - No
Me: Here is a screen shot from MG website detailing the "low Mileage" service schedule.
Dealer - I have double checked and your car has to be serviced every year, there is no low mileage schedule.

Dealer 2

"You cannot pay for service 1 on its own, it has to be in the service Plan but you have to pay in advance for it. You can only have a 3 year plan. You can add on more years once it is running "

Service 1/2/3

Pay £199 up front, then £26 per Month for 12 Months - then nothing for next 12 Months (I have checked twice this is correct)

Total for first 3 years £511.62 (against £250+£370+£490 = £1,110 from garage 1) So less than half price.

Amazingly these are both backed by the same Service Plan Company, so clearly the dealers just make the rules up.
I look forward to hearing how you all get on. Clearly, please do not share my user name with any dealer!"

£218 is the standard rate for an MG dealer service.
It might be on a ZS EV, but not on the HS PHEV.

My first service was £199 (in Essex).

It's just coming up to the second service and within the Esses/Herts/East London area I have been quoted between £312 and £424 incl VAT. The price variation does not correspond with geographical areas. The quote in East London is one of the cheaper quotes and their premises and running costs must be higher than the two dealers in Essex who are the dearest.

Basically, the dealers just make it up. It's about time MG brought in menu servicing to ensure some consistency. As it stands it doesn't promote a professional image of their dealer organisation or them as a company - it's like the wild west, every man for himself.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom