• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

2022 LR Battery

JimB

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Isn't it a bit odd that the 2022 facelift ZS and the Marvel R are both being launched with 70kwh batteries yet the announcement that the 2022 facelift 5 LR will be in European showrooms in Q1 2022 "initially" with its current 60.1kwh battery then eventually with a lower capacity battery as an alternative.

Surely it must be a racing certainty that as soon as MG have used up their pile of 60.1kwh batteries the 5LR will appear with now common 70kwh battery?

I'm deeply suspicious that the word "initially" covers both the smaller battery and the replacement of the current LR battery with the 70kwh one.

Don't you just hate it when you're that old that you really don't want to risk waiting even longer.

😥

Isn't it a bit odd that the 2022 facelift ZS and the Marvel R are both being launched with 70kwh batteries yet the announcement that the 2022 facelift 5 LR will be in European showrooms in Q1 2022 "initially" with its current 60.1kwh battery then eventually with a lower capacity battery as an alternative.

Surely it must be a racing certainty that as soon as MG have used up their pile of 60.1kwh batteries the 5LR will appear with now common 70kwh battery?

I'm deeply suspicious that the word "initially" covers both the smaller battery and the replacement of the current LR battery with the 70kwh one.

Don't you just hate it when you're that old that you really don't want to risk waiting even longer.

😥
:ROFLMAO: I know what you mean by not wanting to wait.
In fairness though the Marvel R and ZS have the aerodynamics of a brick so need the bigger battery.

You have to look at it in terms of the value at the time of purchase. When I bought my SR MG5, the price was the best I'd seen a > 50kWh EV for. The LR offers even better value.

But the utility of the extra range diminishes. I've only driven beyond the range of my SR on 3 occasions. I guess I could become a bit less obsessed with maximising my efficiency with a bigger buffer, but it would cost more to run and create more emissions...

A 70kWh battery would cover the vast majority of journeys without charging. And a single rapid charge could get you somewhere around that 500 mile mark which would be beyond the comfort range of all but the most extreme drivers.

I'm more interested in the development of the associated technology than the additional range. V2L and then V2H will be game-changing.

Most of that is either rowlocks or fails the 'so what?' test, and at least the facelift has V2L, of course a bigger battery would be an advantage if V2H, or V2G was available.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom