• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

2022 MG 5 Trophy not fast-charging

chrismg

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi! I just bought the MG 5 Trophy and it charges fine at home with the 3 pin slow charger but not with the public fast chargers.

I have tried 3 fast chargers at 2 locations from 3 providers and none worked. I even had a 30min call with gridserve that rebooted the chargers and manually tried delivering a charge but nothing worked.

The error in the car was: electric grid unstable. The chargers go from starting to stopped and grid serve said “the charger detected an internal problem”.

Any ideas? It’s a new car so I’ll phone MG next week and report back here.

Not very helpful I’m afraid but you could just be having bad luck with the chargers. A few people on here, myself included, have had issues getting Gridserve chargers to play ball.

For clarity. Are you using public AC (fast) or DC (rapid) chargers and having an issue?

Your home 3-pin granny charger uses the AC charger in the car and proves it works. If you've having trouble with public DC it may imply there's a fault with this system on your car and I would get it back to the dealer to be checked.

Can you confirm you had shut the car down before attempting to charge? ,

Have you tried any type2 EVSE charge points out and about?
As above the DC CCS rapid chargers work slightly differently to the type2.

For clarity. Are you using public AC (fast) or DC (rapid) chargers and having an issue?

Your home 3-pin granny charger uses the AC charger in the car and proves it works. If you've having trouble with public DC it may imply there's a fault with this system on your car and I would get it back to the dealer to be checked.

Can you confirm you had shut the car down before attempting to charge? ,
Thanks. Yes the car was off and locked before charging. Issue is with DC rapid but I haven’t tried AC fast yet - just got a cable to see if that works and will report back.

Have you tried any type2 EVSE charge points out and about?
As above the DC CCS rapid chargers work slightly differently to the type2.
Thanks. Haven’t tried EVSE yet but I’ve just got a cable and I’ll report back once I’ve tried.

Hi! I just bought the MG 5 Trophy and it charges fine at home with the 3 pin slow charger but not with the public fast chargers.

I have tried 3 fast chargers at 2 locations from 3 providers and none worked. I even had a 30min call with gridserve that rebooted the chargers and manually tried delivering a charge but nothing worked.

The error in the car was: electric grid unstable. The chargers go from starting to stopped and grid serve said “the charger detected an internal problem”.

Any ideas? It’s a new car so I’ll phone MG next week and report back here.
Update: Garage has found a fault when they plugged into laptop. They’re going to get it up on a ramp to check cables and fuses after they get permission from MG. I’m pretty angry because this is a brand new car.

Anger won't help, be annoyed but not angry. Many cars of all makes and models and sizes have an early fault, it's just the way it is. Unfortunately this time it's your turn. It will be fixed and then you can enjoy the car.

Finally fixed - it took 2 months because the parts were in China and two parts had to be replaced (one ultimately needed).

CCU first (charging control unit) 1.2k GBP (covered by warranty.. brand new car). Didn’t fix, wasn’t the issue. The dealer knew it wasn’t the issue but they had to follow MG’s advice.

Power supply unit replaced which fixed the issue (not sure how much it cost). Dealer thought this was the issue all along. I think the actual power port is part of this since it looks like that has come out.

Fast charging now works. Hopefully this was just a quality control miss and there won’t be further issues.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom