• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

2022 ZS - Top/Dashcam USB port

Hotlush

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Anyone with a 2022 ZS able to give me a rough idea of the length of cable I would need to connect a dashcam to the top USB port?
I position my dashcam on the passenger side, but the port is on the drivers side(?) so would need to go around the "hump".

Also, do you think would it be practical to tuck the cable away at the point where the hump meets the trim?

Last edited:
Anyone with a 2022 ZS able to give me a rough idea of the length of cable I would need to connect a dashcam to the top USB port?
I position my dashcam on the passenger side, but the port is on the drivers side(?) so would need to go around the "hump".

Also, do you think would it be practical to tuck the cable away at the point where the hump meets the trim?
The usb power port for the DashCam on the 2022 Facelift I would think depending on your DashCam's power entry point wouldn't need to be more than 20-30cm I would imagine if placed to the left of the mirror and camera bump. I'd always put any DashCam of mine to the passenger side of the rearview mirror so that there could be no question of it being in my line of sight there being a legal requirement that the DashCDam Screen showing the camera view should not be visible to the driver. If you wanted to place the camera centrally and just below the review mirror then I guess the USB lead could be half that length since the USB Power is on the driver's side of the bump or whatever it is called.

Does anyone know if the USB socket in the rear view mirror is live all the time, or switches off a short time after turning the car off?

TIA

I have mounted a front and rear dashcam with parking surveillance function on my 2022 ZS. The cables provided were very long but it was easy to just stuff them behind the head lining. The most difficult bit was working with the fuse box which is in a really difficult position. From memory you can't positon the dashcam behind the rear view mirror or even very close to it because of a deep black tint on the windscreen near the rearview mirror

I’ve mounted mine in the centre of the screen as close to the top as possible. I had a 2m cable and just tucked it in under the roof lining.

I tried a 20cm cable and it was far too short so ended up with a 1 meter one and I just folded it neatly so it sits on top of the rear view mirror. 50cm would probably do the job though, any shorter would be tough.

I mounted my Dash Cam just to the passenger side of the central dark zone sud that it is completely obscured from the driver's line of sight behind the rearview mirror. That way it neither reduces my visibility nor an I see the camera's display screen since it is illegal so I understand for the screen to display to the driver what the camera can see while driving in control of a moving vehichle.

B87DC376-C167-450F-99DE-D1FCCCEB1688.jpeg

In that case is the upper USB port on the wrong side for right hand drive cars and on the correct side for left hand drive cars?

A design oversight or not bothered to change it for such a relatively small market and because it would cost MG to move it.

In that case is the upper USB port on the wrong side for right hand drive cars and on the correct side for left hand drive cars?

A design oversight or not bothered to change it for such a relatively small market and because it would cost MG to move it.
Yea I agree, but to be fair I doubt it is that easy to find a 100mm USB power lead you'd probably need if they were both on the same side of the hump. You can likely as not route one of the more readily available short USB cables from one side of the hump to the other while keeping it out of sight tucked into the gap along the front edge of the headlining.

I went for the Garmin Dash Cam 57. Connects to WiFi when I get home and automatically uploads videos to the internet. Has an App for the phone.

No issues with powering it from the USB by the mirror.

Last edited:
I have a next base 522GW. I contacted them to ask about connecting on the above mentioned mirror usb fitting. There reply was that there is insufficient power in the usb to power the camera and that is why they only supply cigarette lighter or direct feed from fuse box.
My brother has a ZS EV LR on order, he current uses a blackvue and he got the same response from them.

I have a next base 522GW. I contacted them to ask about connecting on the above mentioned mirror usb fitting. There reply was that there is insufficient power in the usb to power the camera and that is why they only supply cigarette lighter or direct feed from fuse box.
My brother has a ZS EV LR on order, he current uses a blackvue and he got the same response from them.
We put a next base 522gw with rear camera in our sons car and are happy with it so was hoping we could just use the USB in the MG but I'd seen a similar comment about power requirements. Talking to the dealer they say having someone other than MG hardwire the camera would apparently invalidate the warranty and our dealer won't install one.

We have a next base and plug it into the mirror USB on our trophy SR and it works perfectly so not sure what they’re on about 🤷🏼‍♂️

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom