• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

2nd MG4 - 2nd Seat issue!

Jester27

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Well,
here we are again.....

As most of you probably know, my 1st MG4 was rejected due to a bad drivers seat, among other issues.

I luckily managed to find another one, only now to find that after 250 miles that this one also has a seat issue.

Driver seat Base again.
Along the middle stitched section to the right hand side of the seat base, there is a definite lump on the seam.

I have this week even started to wonder if its me that has some sort of issue (skin tenderness / Fibromyalgia or the like).
I have researched the crap out of it, thinking that surely I can't be that unlucky to find 2 MG4's with the same seat issue.

But after taking it to my local dealer today (Cars 2 Wakefield) and getting him to find/feel it with a little guidance, rather than actually point it out totally.
He found it and agrees that it definitely shouldn't be there.

His diagnosis is that he thinks its a Hog ring ?, that holds the seam in place that is either upside down or mis-shaped, causing the small lump on the seam.

Its like being sat with a frozen pea in your back pocket.

I asked whether its a seat replacement (which is not ideal as mine have been treated as part of the protection package) or whether it can be sorted.

He said should be able to be done no problem, remove the seat cover, sort out the offending Hog Ring, check all the others too etc and put it back together.

Which I'm happier about as I really don't want to have to reject this one too !!

So its getting sorted when it goes in for the breather and software updates.
I have actually bought a memory foam seat base cover as I was expecting a seat to have to be ordered, so at least I could still use the car in some comfort until the replacement
arrived.
And to be fair its amazing and is like sitting on a cloud, it may actually stay on once the seat has been repaired anyway

We had a good chat about how I could have ended up with 2 cars with the same issue.
As we are aware MG make cars in batches, Red ones, then blue ones, then whatever over a space of time.

My original was a Red SE SR, this is also a Red SE SR
Both from the first batch.
So they could have actually been made one after the other or at least on the same run ??
Who knows for sure.

Maybe the Seat section had a tool issue and ended with a few bad Hog rings and didn't notice straight away.
And both drivers seat covers got through..
Who knows.

He did say if I had got a different colour it may have been totally fine as it would probably be from a different run/day for the seat covers.

So as of now, 2 red SE SR both with same seat issue.
How many others may be out there ???

MG really need to up their quality control.

I'm trying to be positive here as I do love the car and will hold my breath until 1st Dec when everything gets done hopefully.

But if you have a Red SE, maybe run your thumb along the seams and see if you can feel anything.

Lets hope its just a One...
sorry Two OFF.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi Jester27 you don’t appear to be having any luck do you, well the wife’s car is a red SE SR and she has not said anything to me about the drivers seat other that she is a little worried about what they might be like in a year or so as the bolster are quite soft on the sides of the seat base but tomorrow I will do what you have said and run my thumb along the seams now are we talking from front to back or across from side to side?
Les

You don't happen to know the VINs of both cars, do you? Are they close?
I wondered that myself, wish I'd have taken a copy of the certificate of conformity from the first one.
Manufacture date would have helped.
Sadly dont have the Vin for the first one.
Typically I just sent the V5 back to them about 2 days ago, otherwise I could have had a look.

Hi Jester27 you don’t appear to be having any luck do you, well the wife’s car is a red SE SR and she has not said anything to me about the drivers seat other that she is a little worried about what they might be like in a year or so as the bolster are quite soft on the sides of the seat base but tomorrow I will do what you have said and run my thumb along the seams now are we talking from front to back or across from side to side?
Les
Hi Les,
hopefully yours is ok.

its the centre seam
left to right across the seat
My little lump is about 1.5 inches from the right hand bolster, you do have to push down a bit to feel it.
1000001714.jpg

The joys of being about 16 stone I guess :rolleyes: makes it easier for me to feel it when sat.

Hi Les,
hopefully yours is ok.

its the centre seam
My little lump is about 1.5 inches from the right hand bolster, you do have to push down a bit to feel it.
View attachment 12747

The joys of being about 16 stone I guess :rolleyes: makes it easier for me to feel it when sat.
Great will have a gander tomorrow just one thing that springs to mind probably nothing to do with it but, inside or under that seat somewhere there has got to be some kind of pressure switch because when you get in the car it turns on without you touching anything as soon as you sit on the seat, actually couple of times when I have just been sat in the car drivers side while waiting for the wife stopped turn off the car wait a bit then decide to to reposition ones bum after just sitting there for a while and when you move in the seat the car restarts and is waiting for you to press the brake pedal and select a drive mode, so you turn it off again and wait some more further 10/15 mins shift ones bum again car starts up again,

You try it sit on seat turn the car off and then just lift yourself a little if you will see what I mean so just wondering if there might be some kind of pressure switch in that area.
So perhaps tomorrow have a feel on the passenger seats to see if that lump can be felt in the same sort of place.

I might be wrong but I just have a gut feeling there could be something in what I’m saying another reason the other week I just leaned on the seat base with my hand when trying to reach in the glove box for an item and the car started up when I say start I mean everything lit up
Les

Great will have a gander tomorrow just one thing that springs to mind probably nothing to do with it but, inside or under that seat somewhere there has got to be some kind of pressure switch because when you get in the car it turns on without you touching anything as soon as you sit on the seat, actually couple of times when I have just been sat in the car drivers side while waiting for the wife stopped turn off the car wait a bit then decide to to reposition ones bum after just sitting there for a while and when you move in the seat the car restarts and is waiting for you to press the brake pedal and select a drive mode, so you turn it off again and wait some more further 10/15 mins shift ones bum again car starts up again,

You try it sit on seat turn the car off and then just lift yourself a little if you will see what I mean so just wondering if there might be some kind of pressure switch in that area.
So perhaps tomorrow have a feel on the passenger seats to see if that lump can be felt in the same sort of place.

I might be wrong but I just have a gut feeling there could be something in what I’m saying another reason the other week I just leaned on the seat base with my hand when trying to reach in the glove box for an item and the car started up when I say start I mean everything lit up
Les
There is definitely a pressure sensor in the driver seat.
But I think its more towards the front area of the seat pad.
This is literally about the size of a frozen pea, kind of feels like a metal hook that goes over something.

The pressure sensor should be a pad I believe.
Its a neat idea in theory is the sensor, but annoying whilst sat in the car if you turn everything off.
Like you say slight movement and it fires stuff up.
I wonder how you'd go on if you had a little sleep in the car, it would be on and off like a brides nightgown.

Your seat issues remind me of my father. He'd always get the bone in boneless fish fingers.
It also must say something about the car that you went back after your previous experience and got another.

Well,
here we are again.....

As most of you probably know, my 1st MG4 was rejected due to a bad drivers seat, among other issues.

I luckily managed to find another one, only now to find that after 250 miles that this one also has a seat issue.

Driver seat Base again.
Along the middle stitched section to the right hand side of the seat base, there is a definite lump on the seam.

I have this week even started to wonder if its me that has some sort of issue (skin tenderness / Fibromyalgia or the like).
I have researched the crap out of it, thinking that surely I can't be that unlucky to find 2 MG4's with the same seat issue.

But after taking it to my local dealer today (Cars 2 Wakefield) and getting him to find/feel it with a little guidance, rather than actually point it out totally.
He found it and agrees that it definitely shouldn't be there.

His diagnosis is that he thinks its a Hog ring ?, that holds the seam in place that is either upside down or mis-shaped, causing the small lump on the seam.

Its like being sat with a frozen pea in your back pocket.

I asked whether its a seat replacement (which is not ideal as mine have been treated as part of the protection package) or whether it can be sorted.

He said should be able to be done no problem, remove the seat cover, sort out the offending Hog Ring, check all the others too etc and put it back together.

Which I'm happier about as I really don't want to have to reject this one too !!

So its getting sorted when it goes in for the breather and software updates.
I have actually bought a memory foam seat base cover as I was expecting a seat to have to be ordered, so at least I could still use the car in some comfort until the replacement
arrived.
And to be fair its amazing and is like sitting on a cloud, it may actually stay on once the seat has been repaired anyway

We had a good chat about how I could have ended up with 2 cars with the same issue.
As we are aware MG make cars in batches, Red ones, then blue ones, then whatever over a space of time.

My original was a Red SE SR, this is also a Red SE SR
Both from the first batch.
So they could have actually been made one after the other or at least on the same run ??
Who knows for sure.

Maybe the Seat section had a tool issue and ended with a few bad Hog rings and didn't notice straight away.
And both drivers seat covers got through..
Who knows.

He did say if I had got a different colour it may have been totally fine as it would probably be from a different run/day for the seat covers.

So as of now, 2 red SE SR both with same seat issue.
How many others may be out there ???

MG really need to up their quality control.

I'm trying to be positive here as I do love the car and will hold my breath until 1st Dec when everything gets done hopefully.

But if you have a Red SE, maybe run your thumb along the seams and see if you can feel anything.

Lets hope its just a One...
sorry Two OFF.... :rolleyes:
Oh no Jester27, you are having all the bad luck. So sorry to hear this and I hope they sort it for you quickly.

I think this is yet another example of poor quality in the early batches at the factory. It is worrying and we don't know how quickly they are getting on top of quality problems. It is making us reconsider if we are doing the right thing with our purchase.

Jester27 would you mind posting a link to your memoryfoam seat base cover?
Car Seat Cushion 49 cm Car Driver Seat with Storage Bag Office Chair Home Use Memory Foam Seat Cushion Breathable Universal Driver Seat Pad Non-Slip Seat Protector for Home or Car Use(Black2) https://amzn.eu/d/7Jc0FsW

It's very comfy, like I say it may even stay after mines sorted.

1000001712.jpg

Hi Les,
hopefully yours is ok.

its the centre seam
View attachment 12747

Hi again Jester27
Well this morning I have had a good prod around the seats in the wife’s 4 Se but could not feel anything like you have described, I have said in the pass not the best seats I have ever had no where near as comfortable as my MG5s anyhow.

MudFlaps came yesterday day so fitted them this morning with the help of your instruction in the other tread well pleased with them for sure look smart as well wife thinks it finishes it off nicely so thank you.

Going off tread a bit now I see from your Avatar your from Wakefield you may not even know, what I’m taking here as I have no idea of your age lm 76 but I have some very found memories of nights out at Wakefield Theatre Club back in the 60s and 70s came from my home town of St Helens a few times and had some great nights in there after Saints had given the Trinity a good hiding on the rugby pitch, also from time to time myself and a mate of mine started to organise coach trips to the Theatre Club, all the lads from glass factory where we worked with wife’s and girl friends seen Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Morecambe and Wise, Bob Monkhouse and many more, we saw your Club and the other one we would go too quite often was was Batley variety club not far from you that to was a cracking night out as well with all the top acts of the time
So many happy days in your neck of the woods for sure how I wished they where still going think I could just about get there and back on a full charge but the wife would need to drive home Hic Hic another Yorkshire bitter please.LOL
Les

Hi again Jester27
Well this morning I have had a good prod around the seats in the wife’s 4 Se but could not feel anything like you have described, I have said in the pass not the best seats I have ever had no where near as comfortable as my MG5s anyhow.

MudFlaps came yesterday day so fitted them this morning with the help of your instruction in the other tread well pleased with them for sure look smart as well wife thinks it finishes it off nicely so thank you.

Going off tread a bit now I see from your Avatar your from Wakefield you may not even know, what I’m taking here as I have no idea of your age lm 76 but I have some very found memories of nights out at Wakefield Theatre Club back in the 60s and 70s came from my home town of St Helens a few times and had some great nights in there after Saints had given the Trinity a good hiding on the rugby pitch, also from time to time myself and a mate of mine started to organise coach trips to the Theatre Club, all the lads from glass factory where we worked with wife’s and girl friends seen Tom Jones, Shirley Bassey, Morecambe and Wise, Bob Monkhouse and many more, we saw your Club and the other one we would go too quite often was was Batley variety club not far from you that to was a cracking night out as well with all the top acts of the time
So many happy days in your neck of the woods for sure how I wished they where still going think I could just about get there and back on a full charge but the wife would need to drive home Hic Hic another Yorkshire bitter please.LOL
Les
Good to hear yours is ok.
Other stuff is a bit before my time Les
I'm 53, but my dad used to play the clubs so I saw a lot of them when I was young when he was rehearsing.
Group called drifting harmony
They played 4 seasons and beach boys etc.
Were very popular on the club scene
Dad is about same age as you too

Update -

Have decided once again to reject the car.
I've tried with the MG4.... TWICE now
But the seats in this car are garbage.
Having sat in the passenger seat the other day.
I felt nothing untoward, but back in the drivers seat, both the seat base and also the back are now uncomfortable.
The seats really do come across as soft at first, but that is purely the first 10-15mm or so and the underneath of that is actually very hard sponge.
which for me it is akin to sitting on a plastic chair.
It is positively the most uncomfortable seat I have ever sat on in a car and I've had some crap over the years.
So for my second MG4, the drivers seat base and back are both crap.
Bad batch maybe ??
Who knows....

Anyway,
with all the other ongoing issues mine still has and reading about some of the new issues that some other new owners are having with theirs too.
I've had enough and refuse to be tied into a £27k car that doesn't do what it should in the first place.
I shouldn't have to be running backwards and forwards to the dealer to have things fixed.
Its a brand new car for gods sake...
Not a fixer upper..

This 2nd one is just the same as the first one, so why should I put up with it again in the hope that it'll get sorted, when I didn't put up with the first one....

Time to look elsewhere for me....
I probably wont find the same range for the same sort of money, but I can handle that, as I was fine with my Mk1 ZS EV to be fair.
But for now it definitely wont be another MG.

It also wont be brand new,
but it'll be an EV that is hopefully better built, better spec'd and doesn't need to spend half its time going back to the dealers within the first few weeks of ownership.

Over the last 6 weeks I have done a 150 miles round trip on the first one twice !
once to pick it up then again to take it back to reject it...

Then another 150 miles round trip again for the second one and that will again be twice when I return this one this week...

So I've done 600 miles just collecting and dropping off cars since the 8th October.

This 2nd one only has that many miles on it in total and is going back..

I will probably have some MG4 stuff available this week, once it goes back on Thursday.

Executive deep pile tailored carpet Mats,
Mudflaps,
V2L Cable
If anyone is interested
I will post them up in a separate thread when the time comes this week with prices etc.

So as the dragons say.....
'I'm out'

I'm so mad right now with everything.
It's been a traumatic experience.
Not what I expected from a new car.
I'll still pop in front time to time to see how things progress.
Hopefully MG will get their act together, they were doing so well up until the MG4.
Hence why I chose to stay with another MG.
I still think they've released it too soon and not done enough testing on the car.
Like I say though, I can't be a 27 grand beta tester for them.
They should be paying me not the other way round

Last edited by a moderator:
You are 100% right in what you are doing, if your not happy then get rid. I dont have mine yet but all the app, infotainment software issues are really starting to make think about cancelling.
The oil leak and bulge will get fixed, the software and locking in problems are major concerns.
I joked on here that the stock answer is " it will get fixed with a software update!" But you are correct with the money getting shelled out we shouldn't make excuses and jokes. The car should be on the road not sitting at the garage most of the time.
As you say it doesn't look like it should have been released without more testing, there are also issues reported in Germany and France now.
It's genuinely looking like less of a bargain, add into that MG's and some dealers atrocious communication.

Last edited:
Absolutely
The locking in thing was the one that made me really question things.
It's not happened to me, but that scenario would be a nightmare for me and my Mrs as we both work shifts including nights etc and not always in sync with each other.
So hard to be able to support each other if this was to happen to either of us.
If the media get hold of all these issues, I can see the MG4 bombing big time and MG will end up with their old reputation back again.
Many people still have that opinion of them even now without knowing that the last few years MG have been pretty good.
But with the whole MG4 debacle I can see things going sour very quickly before long.
Like you say stuff abroad is getting talked about too.
Makes you wonder why MG don't do well in their own country.
Maybe they already know what to expect.
I really hope you get a good one when it arrives, but for me I wouldn't touch another at all.
I've tried twice and been bitten both times and trust me it's a pain on the arse to sort out with taking it back, arranging a lift home from wherever it is, looking for another car again and then changing insurance too etc.
It's cost me quite a bit of money as well as time and none of this is my fault.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 424 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel