3 phase or 1 phase cable?

muppet77

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all.
I’m waiting for delivery of an MG ZS EV Long Range Trophy Connect.
I’m looking at getting the Ohme home pro charger which I believe is 7kW.

My question is which cable should I buy for use out and about? I understand some chargers on the road are untethered and so I want to get some cables myself.

I’ve seen that the LR on board battery can charge at a higher rate (11kW?) than the SR model (7kW). Is this correct?
I’m struggling to find a source for this info now…

Should I go for 1 or 3 phase cables?
I think the 1 phase will suit my home charger but would it be worth getting the 3 phase cables to take advantage of untethered chargers that are 11kW when out and about?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Single phase should be fine, 11kw is single phase still and will not make use of any of the extra wires in a 3 phase cable.

Thank you. Further research tells me that it’s only on the continent that the onboard charger for the long range is 11kwh, so I’m pretty sure now that I’ve a 7kwh onboard charger - so phase 1 cables will be fine.

Thank you for your help.

Single phase should be fine, 11kw is single phase still and will not make use of any of the extra wires in a 3 phase cable.
Er, No.

7kW is 32A single phase.
11kW is 16A on each of three phases.

Most (90+%) of UK properties are single phase, but a greater proportion of public charge point are 22kW 3 phase capable, so can provide 7kW via a single phase lead or to a suitably equipped car 11kW via a 3 phase lead more.

The issue comes that the leads are different. To carry 32A you need 6mm² conductors, for 16A only 2.5mm². For single phase you need 2 conductors, for 3 phase you need 4. If you buy an 11kW 3 phase lead it'll often come with 2.5mm² conductors and hence only provide 16A when used on single phase - 3.6kW not the desired 7kW. You could buy a 22kW 3 phase lead that'll give 7 kW on single phase, but the four thick conductors make it heavy and expensive, and very stiff hence hard to roll up.

Personally I'd go with the 7kW single phase unless you have a regular 11kW public charge point option in which case I'd have two leads. The 22kW leads need to be experienced to be understood as to how much of a pain they are.

Er, No.

7kW is 32A single phase.
11kW is 16A on each of three phases.

Most (90+%) of UK properties are single phase, but a greater proportion of public charge point are 22kW 3 phase capable, so can provide 7kW via a single phase lead or to a suitably equipped car 11kW via a 3 phase lead more.

The issue comes that the leads are different. To carry 32A you need 6mm2 conductors, for 16A only 2.5mm2. For single phase you need 2 conductors, for 3 phase you need 4. If you buy an 11kW 3 phase lead it'll often come with 2.5mm2 conductors and hence only provide 16A when used on single phase - 3.6kW not the desired 7kW. You could buy a 22kW 3 phase lead that'll give 7 kW on single phase, but the four thick conductors make it heavy and expensive, and very stiff hence hard to roll up.

Personally I'd go with the 7kW single phase unless you have a regular 11kW public charge point option in which case I'd have two leads. The 22kW leads need to be experienced to be understood as to how much of a pain they are.
Great advice, thank you 👍

I’ve seen that the LR on board battery can charge at a higher rate (11kW?) than the SR model (7kW). Is this correct?

Even if you use a 11kW cable the car will only charge at 7kW

So you are saying that UK ZS EVs only charge at 7kW? Which would be like the 5 where the EU models are 11kW 3 phase but the UK only 7kW.

If that's the case a 3 phase lead is pointless.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom