32A Charging Adapter

Duncan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help with this?
I've got a 32A Blue Commando 3 Pin Female outlet (to give about 7.7kW charging).
How do I find a 32A Blue Commando 3 Pin Male adapter to fit with the mobile charging connector, provided with the car?

The one that comes with the car is limited to 10amps don't matter what size pulg you put on it you need one like this
Screenshot_20221015_123519.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That's a 16 amp fly lead won't work on a 32amp socket different sizes and the factory granny charger would still be limited to 10amps if you used a 32amp one
Edit I see you found a 32amp one now

That's a 16 amp fly lead won't work on a 32amp socket different sizes and the factory granny charger would still be limited to 10amps if you used a 32amp one
Edit I see you found a 32amp one now
Yeah i thought the first one was a 32amp but upon a closer look it was a 16 amp.
The second one i posted i would be interested in the 3 pin socket was heavier duty to take the potential 32amp feed, as the fuse wouldn't protect the female part of the 3 pin plug.

Buy the connector’s and make it yourself, it’s not difficult and you will learn something, I did and it was a lot cheaper less than a tenner👍🏼

Sorry but no no no its a 2.5mm fly lead you really want 6mm at minimum 4mm and you will never get standard 3 pin socket to run over 13 amps safely
I misspelt/autocorrected the word in, i meant if.
As in if the plug was heavier duty due to the load.
But as you state, the cable itself isn't up to scratch.

Perhaps this is better however i can't see the cable size used

The biggest problem with using a fly lead the commando plug is not fused so that bit of fly lead is only protected by the fuse bord that the 32amp socket is wired to so that bit of fly lead is not really protected not ideal for any long term use or heavy loads
Edit : the only way to make it safe would be to reduce the size of the fuse on the fuse board to match the weakest part of the circuit

Just plug one of these into the 32A socket.

I've got a 32A Blue Commando 3 Pin Female outlet (to give about 7.7kW charging).
How do I find a 32A Blue Commando 3 Pin Male adapter to fit with the mobile charging connector, provided with the car?
Standard charge cables can be found on Amazon for around £100. That's where I got mine.

When I got my first EV in 2019 I went onto Octopus Go and took advantage of their Ohme charger with 32a Ceform plug deal.
I had a 32a Ceform (Commando) socket in the garage and just plugged it in and hey presto it worked and carried on doing so for over 3 years.
I would still be using now if they had solar integration, but sadly they still don't have it!
It has all the safety features in it by the way. The app was developed over time and is now very good indeed.
As for the poster who said he built a charger for 'a few quid' he couldn't have done!
You need to tell the car what you are doing, and that is via voltages on the control pins.
Just plugging won't work!
As an aside I bought a broken Rolec charger on ebay. There were loads at the time because Rolec had a bad batch of parts that just gave trouble.
The issue with mine was a burnt out RCD.
Easily replaced and then to work out how it initiated a charge and how it stopped.
All fairly straightforward control stuff.
One value of resistor and it will charge at 16amps max another value gives 20 amps and so on .
I took it to France so I could charge at home there.
I needed to reduce the charge current because French house systems have limits and it was set at 20 amps max.
All the workings are documented and a bit of Googling will tell you all!
The 'brains of the thing was the controller module, which can be bought, but for a lot more than a couple of quid!
My advice buy the Ohme it is a very nice piece of kit and if and when MG open up the api, the Ohme will talk to the car just as it did with my I-Pace.
I could tell to charge to 65% and lo and behold it would stop charging at 65%.
At £199 it was a bargain!

When I got my first EV in 2019 I went onto Octopus Go and took advantage of their Ohme charger with 32a Ceform plug deal.
I had a 32a Ceform (Commando) socket in the garage and just plugged it in and hey presto it worked and carried on doing so for over 3 years.
I would still be using now if they had solar integration, but sadly they still don't have it!
It has all the safety features in it by the way. The app was developed over time and is now very good indeed.
As for the poster who said he built a charger for 'a few quid' he couldn't have done!
You need to tell the car what you are doing, and that is via voltages on the control pins.
Just plugging won't work!
As an aside I bought a broken Rolec charger on ebay. There were loads at the time because Rolec had a bad batch of parts that just gave trouble.
The issue with mine was a burnt out RCD.
Easily replaced and then to work out how it initiated a charge and how it stopped.
All fairly straightforward control stuff.
One value of resistor and it will charge at 16amps max another value gives 20 amps and so on .
I took it to France so I could charge at home there.
I needed to reduce the charge current because French house systems have limits and it was set at 20 amps max.
All the workings are documented and a bit of Googling will tell you all!
The 'brains of the thing was the controller module, which can be bought, but for a lot more than a couple of quid!
My advice buy the Ohme it is a very nice piece of kit and if and when MG open up the api, the Ohme will talk to the car just as it did with my I-Pace.
I could tell to charge to 65% and lo and behold it would stop charging at 65%.
At £199 it was a bargain!
You seem to know what you are talking about. I have a Rolec 7kw charger. If I charge overnight for seven hours it only adds about 15%.
So I did a comparative test and factored the results to one hour.
These are the results, any ideas? Mick.

Attachments

• 84538C28-075C-4FE5-81A8-48581F74C5DC.jpeg
    84538C28-075C-4FE5-81A8-48581F74C5DC.jpeg
    513.2 KB · Views: 116
Have just had the Rolec installed as it looks like it's output is set to less that a 'granny'.

You seem to know what you are talking about. I have a Rolec 7kw charger. If I charge overnight for seven hours it only adds about 15%.
So I did a comparative test and factored the results to one hour.
These are the results, any ideas? Mick.
As previously said, it looks like your Rolec has been set inadvertently to 10amps not 32amps. On mine, which is an old model, this is by switching in resistors to tell the command unit how much current is required. Yours might have dip switches. Unless you are confident about taking the cover off, I would suggest you get a Rolec agent to come and sort it. If you are confident, then google the model and pull up the details.
Tesla chargers use dip switches to set all sorts of things and it very easy to switch the wrong dip!

I would check that your charger has been wired into a 32 amp dedicated circuit and with at least 6mm cable. It's possible that the installer couldn't wire into a suitable supply and has cheated by downgrading to 10 amps or less.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom