7 Pin Charge Port Waterproof Cover Missing on New MG4 Trophy ?

Johnwillie4491

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi, Newbie here. Got my new MG4 Trophy a few days ago. When charging for the first time I noticed that there is a removable Waterproof Plug Bung covering the Lower ( DC ) Port but no removable Waterproof Cover on the Upper ( AC ) 7 Pin Port, although there appears to be a hole provided to locate a Retaining Strap, next to the existing Retaining Strap for the DC Bung. I'm wondering if there should be a Rubber Bung provided there as it seems to me that it would give desirable extra waterproofing protection to the 7 Pin ( AC ) when washing the car. I can't find any mention of this topic in other threads,so far. Thanks for reading.
7 Pin Charge Port W:P Cover Missing ?.jpeg

Some other models (e.g. ZS) also have a Type 2 cover because the charge port is on the nose of the car, so water may get forced into the port area due to wind speed (e.g. the car driving into rain). On the MG4 the port is on the side of the car so less prone to such an issue.

The outer flap is your waterproofing.
There is no bung on the Type 2 part of the socket, because if the outer flap is open, the charge cable will be inserted.
The DC pins have a bung because you don't always rapid charge.
Thank you for the info.

Some other models (e.g. ZS) also have a Type 2 cover because the charge port is on the nose of the car, so water may get forced into the port area due to wind speed (e.g. the car driving into rain). On the MG4 the port is on the side of the car so less prone to such an issue.
Thankx for that.

Hey, it looks like you have a 3 phase MG4 for 11kW charging, what type2 cable have you got?
I believe my charging cable is a standard Single Phase, 7kW version, which I had to buy elsewhere as the car was supplied with only a Granny Charger.

That doesn't stop you charging - it just means you can't take the full benefit of 11/22kW charge points when out and about ... your single-phase cable will only provide 7kW charging (from a 22kW charge point; 3.5kW from an 11kW charge point).

How do you tell the difference between a 7kw and a 11kw charging cable.
The cable will be badged 3 phase and 22kW / 32A and is thicker. 16A cables will give you 11kW on a 3 phase charger but only 3.5kW on a 1 phase charger.

Basically, single phase needs 32A for 7kW, 3 phase needs 32A for 22kW but the MG can't do 22kW charging. So a 32A 3 phase cable covers all situations.

You don't need top cover for ac charging connector.. the port is water resistant. The main problem is the poor design og the lock of port.. thats really suck. Very unstable construction

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 475 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.7%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back