A 10mm spanner is really all we need

Martin

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Am I right or wrong, I invite criticism or support. I’ve read a lot of the posts on this forum and I’ve come to the following conclusion: Most of the problems that occur could be resolved with the only tool we really need, a 10mm spanner. As I see it we don’t own a car, we have no engine, no gearbox, no clutch, no turbo, no oil, no coolant, etc. etc. What we do have is a computer with an electric motor and wheels. What do we do if our computer, tablet or phone suddenly freeze or go wrong? We re-boot it. So when something goes wrong with the ev, we should disconnect the negative terminal on the 12 volt battery, leave it 5 minutes and re-connect it, then press the start button. Bingo, it should re-boot and 9 times out of 10 everything should be back to normal. I had to do this once and it was fine, had I not done it or not known what to do, I would have had to call the breakdown service. If of course it doesn’t re-boot successfully then there is something seriously wrong, but on most occasions this little remedy will sort it. If MG installed a cold re-boot switch, we wouldn’t even need a 10mm spanner.

My friend said he tried that several times and didn't work.... so when it eventually went to the garage what they did was touch each cable together, the positive and negative and that released any remaining charge I guess and cleared it. Then it worked. Just incase it happened to anyone else.

As some commenter said.

Electric cars are essentially just computers on wheels.

As as guy that works with IT every day, i can just say, that even though it feels really silly asking people to reboot their computer, it actually solves the problem maybe 80% of the time.

I'm thinking of investing in some quick release terminal connectors.

Amazon product ASIN B09JWDG48D
There is a thread on this the problem with them ones is you need to cut cables?
This type no cutting

https://amzn.eu/d/dkUBpCw
Screenshot_20220703_182112.jpg

Ps they do a right angled one as well if fitting is tight

Last edited:
My wife's 2016 Fiat 500 has a "factory fit" quick disconnect facility on the negative terminal.
No spanner required, you just push in a button and the terminal just releases from the main cable and leaves a tall spigot connected to the battery still.
Brilliant idea, I will try and include a photo.

Fiat 500 Disconnect 2022-07-03 at 18.50.16.png

Am I right or wrong, I invite criticism or support. I’ve read a lot of the posts on this forum and I’ve come to the following conclusion: Most of the problems that occur could be resolved with the only tool we really need, a 10mm spanner. As I see it we don’t own a car, we have no engine, no gearbox, no clutch, no turbo, no oil, no coolant, etc. etc. What we do have is a computer with an electric motor and wheels. What do we do if our computer, tablet or phone suddenly freeze or go wrong? We re-boot it. So when something goes wrong with the ev, we should disconnect the negative terminal on the 12 volt battery, leave it 5 minutes and re-connect it, then press the start button. Bingo, it should re-boot and 9 times out of 10 everything should be back to normal. I had to do this once and it was fine, had I not done it or not known what to do, I would have had to call the breakdown service. If of course it doesn’t re-boot successfully then there is something seriously wrong, but on most occasions this little remedy will sort it. If MG installed a cold re-boot switch, we wouldn’t even need a 10mm spanner.
That seemed to be a standard fix on the ZS MK1, I've read lots of reports of this not working on the MK2

That's a shame, I must admit when I used that trick it was on a mark 1. I've now just got a Trophy. Has anyone actually tried it on a mark 2? Surely it's the same principle.

Like most modern gearboxes, design intent is it's there for life so there is no service requirement.

It's not a gearbox some automatic box's now say 100k miles but more really 70k if iam honest
On the ZS is just reduction Gear bit like a differential and will definitely need charging as the swarf builds up especially when new

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom