sha66ir

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hello

I had a little accident.

Picture attached below.

Does anyone have an idea of what the damage m8ght be to the car and how much it will cost to repair.

Thanks
20230326_161307.jpg
20230326_161311.jpg

I did something similar to my Motorhome a few years ago. My Motorhome dealership organised a repair company who came on site and for (I think) about £150 did a repair that was undetectable after they had finished.

I didn't know the name of the company (sorry) but I do know it can be repaired fairly inexpensively by professionals if you don't fancy trying to do it yourself with repair putty. I'm guessing Google would be your friend here or your dealership may have some contacts. Hope you get it sorted, I understand how annoying that kind of thing is.

Chipsaway quoted me £600.

MG approved garage quoted me £300.

But none can guarantee that the finished job will be undetectable to the naked eye.

Thanks everyone for your input
Annoying - But totally repairable by a GOOD smart repair guy, to a standard where you would need to know the damage site before hand, in order to spot it after the repair !.
Plastic hot weld gun or some fibreglass filler and a GOOD smart repair guy / painter, will already have the necessary textured paint that can be matched / blended with the colour and shade of the original front bumper cover.
I have seen a number of videos when this type of repair has been performed and you are just not able to spot the repair point after honestly !.
Of course, a 100% repair will be better done if the bumper cover was removed from the car, but that will involve more time and therefore more cost.
Is it worth all that extra expense.
Well, that is your choice I guess.
You could catch it again in six months time ??.
Here is video showing how the textured finished can be restored to match, this is a much bigger job than yours, but you get the idea of how it is done !.

Not sure if the MG 4 is the same as the ZS EV, but I have noticed on both Gen1 and Gen2 it is possible to be applying pressure with your foot ( if incorrectly sited ) to both the “Go” pedal and the “Stop” pedal at the same time, if that makes sense.
If you have large feet and a wide sole on the sole of your shoe, when you start depressing the brake pedal, and tend to favour the right side of the brake pedal with your foot, as the foot brake sinks, the right side of the sole of your right foot, can come into contact with the “ Go” pedal at the same travel point.
As the foot brakes travel increases and reaches the point where it starts to become affective, the right side of the sole of your shoe comes into contact with the “Go” pedal.
At this point, the sole of your shoe / foot has contacted and bridged both pedals !.
You can experience an odd feeling of the car accelerating when you feel you are actually trying to use the foot brake in order to slow down ??.
It can feel a bit disconcerting when it actually happens.
The point at where the foot brake starts to slow he progress of the car, is at the same foot level, of “Go” pedal point of kicking in.
I have experienced this a few times TBH.

Not sure if the MG 4 is the same as the ZS EV, but I have noticed on both Gen1 and Gen2 it is possible to be applying pressure with your foot ( if incorrectly sited ) to both the “Go” pedal and the “Stop” pedal at the same time, if that makes sense.
If you have large feet and a wide sole on the sole of your shoe, when you start depressing the brake pedal, and tend to favour the right side of the brake pedal with your foot, as the foot brake sinks, the right side of the sole of your right foot, can come into contact with the “ Go” pedal at the same travel point.
As the foot brakes travel increases and reaches the point where it starts to become affective, the right side of the sole of your shoe comes into contact with the “Go” pedal.
At this point, the sole of your shoe / foot has contacted and bridged both pedals !.
You can experience an odd feeling of the car accelerating when you feel you are actually trying to use the foot brake in order to slow down ??.
It can feel a bit disconcerting when it actually happens.
The point at where the foot brake starts to slow he progress of the car, is at the same foot level, of “Go” pedal point of kicking in.
I have experienced this a few times TBH.
It is similar for me in my MG4, it is as if there's not quite enough space between the two pedals.

I have received a poor outcome from a total right knee replacement and this does not help the situation either of course.
But aside from this, I have spotted what could be an issue for some people as well.
Next time you are parked up safely and away from other cars.
Try this little experiment, when the car is in "D" mode and it is creeping slowly forward, instead of placing your foot in the centre of the foot brake pad, just move it slightly towards the right edge of the rubber foot brake pad.
Now, as you slowly depress the pedal you will find that JUST as you reach the travel point where the brakes are applied, you also find that your foot CAN applying pressure to the "Go" pedal at the same time.
In effect the design / spacing distance of both pedals allows this to happen.
IF the bite point of the foot brake was slightly earlier, then this condition would not be possible.
It's not a great issue of course, its just an observation I have made.
The same condition was evident on the Gen 1 ZS EV also that we had, as you would totally expect.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 491 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back