AAW/Google Maps & GPS

ajw1100

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Seems Google maps>AAWireless>MG Infotainment is having problems but I am not sure where.
Start up car, sometimes Google Maps show in AA with my location and follows me on my route. Other times I get a wide map covering all of Europe and I think Greenland. E v e n t u a l l y it shows my rough location. then the location arrow wobbles and twists around not knowing which way I am going. The screen shows the message 'Searching for GPS' There does not appear to be any recurring problem, there is no logical thing that make it happen, totally random. Now. Is it the phone that picks up the GPS, or the AAWireless Dongle, or the Cars infotainment? Is there anything I can do to improve the GPS?
I have tried all the suggestions from AAWireless support but to no avail.

As above, GPS signals are very weak. My Samsung A22 works fine sitting in the cavity where the USB sockets are, but other phones may need to be a bit nearer the front screen. Try perching it on the dash for a few minutes - if it works there, that's probably the issue.

You could also try turning location off and on again to prompt a search for the GPS signals, and look at location settings to make sure you've got all the options enabled (e.g, wifi, which tags every wifi system it can see without logging in, to find out where that is).

Thanks guys for your replies. I thought it would be the phone. The cars satnav does not appear to have a problem finding where it is or where it is going. It's such a pity it is so painfully slow and clunky.

I agree with the above the AAWireless doesn't have a GPS receiver it is just a bridging device between your phone which has the GPS and Google Maps etc. and the USB socket in the car. So it is your phone that is the issue. However, perhaps the MG4 is screening the signal more than your previous car.

I agree with the above the AAWireless doesn't have a GPS receiver it is just a bridging device between your phone which has the GPS and Google Maps etc. and the USB socket in the car. So it is your phone that is the issue. However, perhaps the MG4 is screening the signal more than your previous car.
Hi Barry.
Thanks for confirming that. I will try to get the phone, Galaxy A40, nearer to the AAWireless and also on top of the dashboard without it sliding off!
By the way it's the HS PHEV I have not an MG4.

I had that once....google maps could not work out where the hell I was, I was hoping in opposite directions on the map etc.....very weird

Enter google maps , go to "help and feedback" click the option that says , let google know my blue dot is not right.

After following some steps, the next day my problem was gone.....

Hope this helps.
Greetz

Thanks, in my help and feedback that option was already ticked. If it knows it's in the wrong position I don't see how it can correct itself, and if it can why doesn't it do so :confused: :confused: ?

If that blue dot is ticked , that means nothing....tap it and you will get a new menu... Follow the menu

Did that, then went for a ride, this time I put the phone in the same console cubby hole sitting on the AAWIreless dongle.
Worked a treat, before it would show me stationary at odd places, like the previous junction of the M1. I will give more tests but hopefully it's sorted.
My problem now is to remember to take the phone when I exit the car, my previous Octavia had a helpful reminder to take my phone!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom