AC Charging Speed

MuzGB1970

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I plugged my Trophy into the work 22kW wall box this morning, I was expecting it to be limited to 7.4kW but was pleasantly surprised at the 9.74kW it charged at. Makes for a shorter charge when you're getting your juice at 2kW per hour quicker!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221003-074016.jpg
    Screenshot_20221003-074016.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 141
Interesting...does that mean Trophy at least has 11kw inverter? Given inverter losses etc. that figure seems to indicate so. When you have a moment can you check if the car socket has L2 and L3 shiny pins?

Alan

Interesting...does that mean Trophy at least has 11kw inverter? Given inverter losses etc. that figure seems to indicate so. When you have a moment can you check if the car socket has L2 and L3 shiny pins?

Alan
Can you point me in the direction of a diagram so I know which pins to check?

We should have either 6.6kw single phase or 11kw 3 phase charging. Losses to the actual battery are about 10 to 15% due to a number of factors including loss at the inverter. So 6.6 may only be in the 5's and 11 in the 9's..which is what you are getting.

Alan

Alan
Alan, pins L2 and L3 are metal but have plastic/rubber caps on the very end. Does that match what you expected?

I'm sure someone posted previously (in another thread) comparison images of under the bonnet with and without heat pump. So if the car has a heat pump then it should be obvious?

Or it could be FUD from the App. I'd wait and see how much charge you actually get in the car - can you pop out and take a look?

Or it could be FUD from the App. I'd wait and see how much charge you actually get in the car - can you pop out and take a look?
My Zappi app confirmed charging at ~10kW so I'm inclined to believe it. If someone could post a pic of a heat pump in an MG4 I can check that too.

Don't know if it helps but look at pipes coming out the radiator and see if it goes into something like the one in my ev or the diagram image, both heat pumps
heatpumpimage058.png
IMG_20221003_131232.jpg

Stop doubting 😁. It is in the manual and the pins are there and the reports are exactly the charge level we’d expect!

I think the only reason people thought it wasn’t for the UK was the EU vehicle details which mentioned 11kW because that’s an expected standard on the continent but not here.

On the heatpump I don’t know why that wouldn’t be mentioned for the UK… jury is still out.

I tested my Trophy on a Tesco / PodPoint 22kW charger over the weekend, and only observed sub-6kW charging. Going to try a other 22kW chargers in the area later on

I tested my Trophy on a Tesco / PodPoint 22kW charger over the weekend, and only observed sub-6kW charging. Going to try a other 22kW chargers in the area later on
What Model was that? All of my local Tesco are only 7kw so you must be better served

Alan

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel