Accelerator pedal delay

Jamlam

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I.ve searched the from for an answer but I cannot find it's been covered.
The zs ev has a delay in applying any power when you press the accelerator.
I know this is common on the zs ev as all the reviews I have watched online also mention the same issue.
It is unusual for an ev as my last 2 leafs would accelerate as soon as you touched the accelerator. They had less power but felt as fast or even faster due to the quick sprint off the line movement.
This leads to me pressing the accelerator a bit harder than I need and I end up spinning the wheels too often.
One of the things I like about the ev's was the ability to move off quickly as soon as you need it too but this delay is very annoying and the 1 thing on the car I would really like to change.
I.m not after a sports car but just good acceleration in the city.
Btw even in sport mode there is a small delay.
Has any one noticed that a software update has improved the pedals reaction time?
Cheers

I've just noticed this on mine occasionally, it only seems to do it on colder mornings and only once or twice. It's only a fraction of a second and so infrequent that it doesn't really bother me.

Nope not noticed it in fact I thought the opposite compared to my last diesel auto.

Have you got the hill start assist on, as that is what it does. If you have, turn it off, you should find no delay then. It's the switch next to the park switch.

Have you got the hill start assist on, as that is what it does. If you have, turn it off, you should find no delay then. It's the switch next to the park switch.
Good point, I think hill start assist is always on by default.
The delay I'm experiencing is very short (and infrequent), far less than the hill start delay, and it occurs on the flat. I'll try turning it off temporarily if it starts to happen more often, it's too infrequent to test ATM.

Hill start stays on whatever it was set to when you turn turn off, as it remembers the last position.

Thanks for the replies. I am aware of the hill start and the auto brake next to the parking brake switch/button which is off. I am also aware of the delay they add but as mentioned in my 1st post it is something that nearly everyone that reviewed the car also mentioned. I was hoping they rectified it in the software update.

I have to say it is not something that has affected us. In almost a year and 10,000 miles our throttle response has been instant apart from accidentally switching on the hill start assist. Also I have seen many reviews and do not recall any that complain of slow throttle response, in fact quite the opposite. Out of interest do you have any links to these reviews.
Thanks

Yes! Never even tried the auto brake but I sometimes experience a significant delay on the "throttle", when going from very slow speed or standing still. This has given me a scare a couple of times now.

@Jamlam yes there is a delay. Those drivers who haven’t driven a Leaf or other EV for any length of time probably won’t really know what you mean. Yes I miss it, although I’ve not noticed a delay in sport like there is in Normal. But I only use Sport when I want that instant acceleration as soon as I touch the throttle. Rather than the slight delay of Normal.

I had a BMW i3 for 4 years before the ZS and haven't noticed any delay. Normally drive with N but have recently tried E and still no delay.

I did some experiments with this yesterday and found that there is a noticeable delay when pressing the accelerator pedal after completely releasing it. It is more pronounced in ECO/Normal, but it was there in all three modes. My 2013 Toyota Auris hybrid has no such delay at all and actually feels more responsive in urban driving scenarios. I'm considering talking to the dealer after the holidays.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom