• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Adaptive Cruise Control and regenerative braking question

Wizard

Standard Member
Reaction score
I just did my first long motorway trip in the ZSEV. I love the ACC but I notice if the car slows from say 70mph to 60mph because of traffic ahead when it stops accelerating and starts breaking you don’t get any regenerative breaking so nothing on the automatic slow down is going back into the battery. Is this correct or am I missing something. If this is correct are you better to drive without the ACC on so at least you do get some regenerative charge when you break manually. I am interested to understand what’s the best option on a longer journey. Thanks

Unfortunately on the MGZS it uses mechanical breaking on ACC....weirdly on the MG5 and MG4 it uses regen, just not on the ZS.

You are correct, there is no regenerative breaking when using ACC. I tried 2 journeys the same of approx 45 miles , mostly motorway. One journey using ACC and lane keep, driving at 65mph, the return journey driving manually at 70mph, there was no difference in battery use. I suppose the acc keeping at a more steady speed with less acceleration made up for lack of regeneration when driving manually, obviously a longer journey would give more of an accurate picture.

It’s quite poor of MG not having regen using ACC. Many believe that it is because they took the easier option of just using the old ICE system.

I use ACC on MG Pilot on motorways just because it's a much easier drive. I have however got in the habit of, when on a decent downhill bit, gently pressing the brake pedal to turn off ACC , to get a bit of regen, then resetting to ACC just by pressing the button in again, when back on a flat section. Ever little helps.

Seems to be a large oversight to not use regenerative braking with ACC. It's a basic feature of EVs. Disabling it to slow down removes the A and it just becomes the decade's old, cruise control.
To add to the confusion about why not... The ISA/MSA mode (which is disabled everytime the vehicle is turned off!) does use regenerative braking.

I use ACC on MG Pilot on motorways just because it's a much easier drive. I have however got in the habit of, when on a decent downhill bit, gently pressing the brake pedal to turn off ACC , to get a bit of regen, then resetting to ACC just by pressing the button in again, when back on a flat section. Ever little helps.
Exactly this, I do the same, pause the ACC for a few seconds use regen and then switch it back on. It was annoying initially but now used to it.

I just did my first long motorway trip in the ZSEV. I love the ACC but I notice if the car slows from say 70mph to 60mph because of traffic ahead when it stops accelerating and starts breaking you don’t get any regenerative breaking so nothing on the automatic slow down is going back into the battery. Is this correct or am I missing something. If this is correct are you better to drive without the ACC on so at least you do get some regenerative charge when you break manually. I am interested to understand what’s the best option on a longer journey. Thanks
Sorry about things breaking when you are slowing down. However regeneration does not work when braking with ACC.

Exactly this, I do the same, pause the ACC for a few seconds use regen and then switch it back on. It was annoying initially but now used to it.
I do the same but use the handel to turn off acc and then slightly press the gas pedal, or the car will break hard.

For long drive the two key elements for battery is speed and temperature.
Over 80-90 km/h is bad.

When i had the ZS EV, i tended to drive with the ACC on, but whenever i came near a traffic light or somewhere i knew i would have to slow down to make a turn, i would disengage the ACC and let the car do regenerative braking.

Was a bit of a faff, having to manually enter and exit ACC to accomplish something that the car should have been able to, out of the factory.

Getting a Tesla Model Y delivered, hopefully next week, and from the test drive and descriptions, this is going to be one-pedal-driving like all new EV's should have now.

When i had the ZS EV, i tended to drive with the ACC on, but whenever i came near a traffic light or somewhere i knew i would have to slow down to make a turn, i would disengage the ACC and let the car do regenerative braking.

Was a bit of a faff, having to manually enter and exit ACC to accomplish something that the car should have been able to, out of the factory.

Getting a Tesla Model Y delivered, hopefully next week, and from the test drive and descriptions, this is going to be one-pedal-driving like all new EV's should have now.
My previous classic Ioniq did this several years
ago 👀

My previous classic Ioniq did this several years
ago 👀
Yeah, now i got the Tesla and it does this also, even though i only got it yesterday, it already feels pretty natural to only use one pedal for almost 100% of the driving.

My guess is that the Mk3 will have both One Pedal Driving with Regenerative braking on ACC, and probably also heatpump for heating.

Maybe it will even be built on bespoke EV architecture to improve the efficiency.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom