• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Air conditioning issue

Taq

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Due to this weeks really hot weather this has been the first time we really needed to us the air conditioning on the ZS as we normally just manage with the windows down. So turned the heater to lowest temp and pressed the cold/ice/whatever button with the fan turned on, but get no cold air no matter which fan speed we use ?

The heater seems to make an initial puff of air when turned on then nothing else, any ideas what going on as it doesn’t even seem to blow air when air con is turned on but seems fine when the heater is warming the car though.

Have you doubled checked that the airflow direction has been selected to face or face / feet ?

Centre air vents in the dash look like they swing right & left but they actually turn off at one end of their travel.

Apologies if I'm telling you something you already know.

Does the fan work when on full speed? There is another thread on here about a faulty HVAC fan

If all of the fan / blower speeds are working correctly and from your post, this seems to be the case.
Then it sound like the A/C compressor / pump is not activating.
It could be short of coolant, but I doubt this on a new car.
There have been a couple of reports of the HVAC not working because a fuse has been not installed in the carrier correctly / at all !.
I would pop it along to the dealership if I was you.
Please report back on your findings.

Eco mode dumbs the AC down a bit, try it in Normal mode.
Have you tried putting the temp setting up a bit, 4 cold bars (blue blobs) works for me.
I'm not certain, but adjusting it right down seems to turn it off on mine.

As a test try -
make sure car in ready mode
set airflow direction to centre/side vents only using airflow buttons on hvac control panel
make sure all vents are open - centre vents open and close with sliding - side vents rotate centre button.
set temp at coldest level
set fan at highest level - make sure fan motor responds to setting.
press cold button and make sure light is on
make sure recycle air button is not lit

after a short while yiu should get cold air through all vents. It’s not the coldest system in the world but should be cold enough. Depending on where the issue is you can eliminate items as you go through. Good luck.

Have you doubled checked that the airflow direction has been selected to face or face / feet ?

Centre air vents in the dash look like they swing right & left but they actually turn off at one end of their travel.

Apologies if I'm telling you something you already know.
tried all the settings for air flow, but wasn’t aware of the vent position will have a look thanks

Does the fan work when on full speed? There is another thread on here about a faulty HVAC fan

no didn’t seem to be much air flow at all, seemed to get a vague puff when initially turned on that died away almost immediately

There is also a known issue with some cars needing a replacement rheostat that controls fan speed.

“As a test try -
set airflow direction to centre/side vents only using airflow buttons on hvac control panel
make sure all vents are open - centre vents open and close with sliding - side vents rotate centre button.
make sure recycle air button is not lit”

Cicijo - Tried this and did manage to get it blowing cold air for a few seconds before it stops working, setting the fan higher than half speed or the temp lower than 4 cold blocks also caused it to immediately turn off, if I set it to the recommended settings you gave it blows cold for perhaps 10-20 seconds then stops working. Seems like it’s gonna have to go back to dealers for a look.

It does sound like the fan control is at fault I’m afraid. It’s a quick fix at the dealership (while you wait) as long as they have the part. They should be aware as a few cars have had issues.

As a test try -
make sure recycle air button is not lit

after a short while yiu should get cold air through all vents. It’s not the coldest system in the world but should be cold enough. Depending on where the issue is you can eliminate items as you go through. Good luck.
I thought the recycle light being on would mean the air kept going round through the system and would get colder the more times it went through.

Due to this weeks really hot weather this has been the first time we really needed to us the air conditioning on the ZS as we normally just manage with the windows down. So turned the heater to lowest temp and pressed the cold/ice/whatever button with the fan turned on, but get no cold air no matter which fan speed we use ?

The heater seems to make an initial puff of air when turned on then nothing else, any ideas what going on as it doesn’t even seem to blow air when air con is turned on but seems fine when the heater is warming the car though.
I have just had my resistor pack changed in my blower motor, took them 15 minutes,done under warranty,Aircon turning off after a few minutes,then having to reset it,sound the same,the teck said it was a common problem!😭

I thought the recycle light being on would mean the air kept going round through the system and would get colder the more times it went through.
Yes - it does make it slightly easier for the air to cool especially when first starting as you’re not drawing warm air from outside. As a test to see how well your air cooling is working and dealing with warmer with outside air I suggested turning this off.

Yes - it does make it slightly easier for the air to cool especially when first starting as you’re not drawing warm air from outside. As a test to see how well your air cooling is working and dealing with warmer with outside air I suggested turning this off.
I now understand, it is easier to check efficiency when you can compare the outside temperature with the inside when the temperature of the air supply remains relatively constant.

In use, I leave the recirc on unless the windows start to mist up, less work for the AC means less HV battery used.

This is the fault I had with my fan, all the resistors were working, but it cut out on fan speeds above 3, sensor fault?
It was a simple repair.

As the car acts as a greenhouse, I'm sure it can get hotter in a standing car than the outside temperature. In this case the recirc will not initially be helpful. Under these circumstances, I normally drive with the windows down for a mile or two until the worst of the heat has exited through the windows, then close the windows, apply aircon and recirc.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom