Amateur Radio VHF/UHF with MG ZS EV

Greentropical

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hello everyone,
Does anyone know if the use if a Dual band VHF/UHF mobile radio and being parked in close proximity to a Amateur Radio station will cause any issues
with the vehicles systems?.

Hello everyone,
Does anyone know if the use if a Dual band VHF/UHF mobile radio and being parked in close proximity to a Amateur Radio station will cause any issues
Depends on the quality of the EMI shielding & depends on how much beans the Amateur is putting out.

If matey is running 5W, fine, 400W into a Yagi pointed at the car may be something different.

Having said that, she’ll (probably) be reet.

Upvote 0
Depends on the quality of the EMI shielding & depends on how much beans the Amateur is putting out.

If matey is running 5W, fine, 400W into a Yagi pointed at the car may be something different.

Having said that, she’ll (probably) be reet.
My suspicion is that it is the OP with the radio themselves :)

Upvote 0
Good morning, fb on all as I pretty much run 10 watt when operating vhf/uhf and Qrp when operating hf portable.
Apologies to all for being techy, but some years ago in Austin Rover days, all the cars were subjected to a scanned frequency in a chamber with a field strength of 50 V/m at the car, particularly concentrating on likely use of on board transmitters from amateurs and emergency services etc. The electrical system had to withstand this without malfunction from kHz to Ghz. The test transmitter power to achieve this 50 V/m was quite often in several hundred watts approx 2-3m from the car. Typically the response of the car was very subject to the resonant frequencies of the various harnesses, so sometimes the Tx power could be much smaller. If you can translate your transmit power into a field strength at the car harness, then that will give you an idea. However I don't have an up to date EMC standard for the field strength now used, but MG would have to gain EMC compatibility to a national standard to gain homologation for the car to sell in the country you are resident.
Frankly, with your 5W or 10W Tx, it's very unlikely it would affect the car unless you were operating at frequencies exactly on resonance of the harness (i.e. the resonant length of the car). That would be quite a low frequency probably around 100MHz.
Sorry, I did apologise....

Upvote 0
Apologies to all for being techy, but some years ago in Austin Rover days, all the cars were subjected to a scanned frequency in a chamber with a field strength of 50 V/m at the car, particularly concentrating on likely use of on board transmitters from amateurs and emergency services etc. The electrical system had to withstand this without malfunction from kHz to Ghz. The test transmitter power to achieve this 50 V/m was quite often in several hundred watts approx 2-3m from the car. Typically the response of the car was very subject to the resonant frequencies of the various harnesses, so sometimes the Tx power could be much smaller. If you can translate your transmit power into a field strength at the car harness, then that will give you an idea. However I don't have an up to date EMC standard for the field strength now used, but MG would have to gain EMC compatibility to a national standard to gain homologation for the car to sell in the country you are resident.
Frankly, with your 5W or 10W Tx, it's very unlikely it would affect the car unless you were operating at frequencies exactly on resonance of the harness (i.e. the resonant length of the car). That would be quite a low frequency probably around 100MHz.
Sorry, I did apologise....
What he said. Haven’t looked it up yet, but EMC testing is still a thing

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,
I haven't used ours mobile but running 50w at 2m and 80w at 70cm of FM or SSB into a vertical or small beam at this QTH has no effect on our ZS EV Mk1.

Upvote 0
Good morning, fb on all as I pretty much run 10 watt when operating vhf/uhf and Qrp when operating hf portable.
Have you installed and used your radio yet? I'm getting set to install my V/UHF set in the car and wondered if you had found any issues to watch out for!

Also, What's your callsign (DM me if you prefer...)

Regards

Piggly

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom