Andersen charge points, User experiences please, any good?

Handyman Cliff

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi all,
First post here as got a new MG4 Trophy arriving soon.
I am fortunate to have a driveway and need to get a charge point put in.

The one that stands out for me is the Andersen as I like the minimal look and neat stowing of the charging cable even if it is pricey.
Has anyone got one using it with their MG EV and can give me their opinion of it in use please?

Thank you in advance,

Cliff

I know they get a good reputation, and are available in aesthetically pleasing styles. But beyond that I now nothing about their functionality.

I have a Wallbox Pulsar Plus.

Hi all,

The one that stands out for me is the Andersen as I like the minimal look and neat stowing of the charging cable even if it is pricey.
Has anyone got one using it with their MG EV and can give me their opinion of it in use please?

Thank you in advance,

Cliff
Not sure what they're like since being bailed out of insolvency, but the app was very basic before for what you were paying.

Home chargers are not complicated things.

They are basically a relay and a small computer.

The computer negotiates the connection with the car to tell the onboard charger how much power max it can draw. It also controls the charging on off times. The relay controls the power and the car onboard charger respects what it was told it can take from the mains

It is the charger in the car that does the actual charging itself.

There isnt really much to mess up in a wallbox

Home chargers are not complicated things.

They are basically a relay and a small computer.

The computer negotiates the connection with the car to tell the onboard charger how much power max it can draw. It also controls the charging on off times.

It is the charger in the car that does the actual charging itself.

There isnt really much to mess up in a wallbox
Rolec enters the chat here hold my beer

If you are going to have solar or a battery in the future, a Zappi is good bet but they are over complicated if you just want a charger. The Ohme is good. What tariff are you on for electricity?
I view zappi as a bit like apple you're buying into an ecosystem

I based my decision on which charger to have installed on the reviews of the app, can solar panels and battery be added at a later date if I decide to go down that route and what my independent installer recommended. Not necessarily in that order.
I based my choice on which one I could buy cheapest off eBay with a warranty and do the installers course online 🤣🤣🤣

Pod point won, I'm an accredited pod point installer with a whole 1 installs to my name 🤣🤣

Thanks guys for your thoughts. I was keen to see if anyone was using an Andersen unit and could give feedback?

Regarding electricity suppliers, currently with E-on Next.
Should I be changing to anyone else? In north London area.
Thanks

Eon dont seem to be selling their ev tarrif right now.

Only seems to be octopus and Brit Gas

From my perspective BG seems more straightforward and offers a longer non intelligent tarrif at 5 hours a night.

12p a unit but your day rate goes to 43p. You need to run the numbers and see if it works for you

Check out if E-On will install Economy 7. I'm paying 13.87p/kW on night rate and 30.33p/kWh day rate but with the government support ending next month these will go up.

Hi all,

Thank you in advance,

Cliff
Hi Cliff - Not sure if you are aware, but Anderson went into receivership a while ago.
But I believe there is another company called Simpson & Partners are producing something very similar in the Anderson style.
I will try and include the videos.

Check out if E-On will install Economy 7. I'm paying 13.87p/kW on night rate and 30.33p/kWh day rate but with the government support ending next month these will go up.
I thought support was extended in the budget until the end of June? (It was originally ending this month).

Those rates seem like you are on a deal?

Std price here in Midlands is capped at 33p give or take. And when I looked at econ 7 on my provider EDF it was around 8p and 50p rates.

Getting low cost 7 hours with little or no uplift in day rate isnt typical of rates right now

Hi Cliff - Not sure if you are aware, but Anderson went into receivership a while ago.
But I believe there is another company called Simpson & Partners are producing something very similar in the Anderson style.
I will try and include the videos.

I believe Andersen were saved after being bought out by EVIOS PLC. The Simpson and Partners chargers look great though, and, I think, come in a bit more affordably than the Andersens

I have a EO, it’s fine for me but… I think that now I would go for the one supplied by octopus, it gives greater flexibility on their plans (I am with octopus go)

why venture into the unknown? - we personally use an ohme pro on the MG4 which has been 100% perfectly behaved for the past 6 months (ours cost £600 fitted- summer 2022) - average house, but take 700Kw each month from the grid - but electricity cost is less £50 / month - it works well (ohme (y) (y) )

Last edited:
My home charger is a project EV. Well priced decent app for off peak charging, easy to use, suitable for solar and battery systems too. Non tethered as well so handy to charge the wife’s outlander PHEV.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 492 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back