What are the advantages of Android Auto?

It's really handy for navigation as the google maps from within android auto can give live traffic etc as it uses mobile data to keep it up to date, plus it's always up to date :)
Also you can use voice commands for calling/navigating Press the talk button on the steering wheel and can say something like "Navigate to the closest rapid charger/Hospital/carpark" etc etc
I use mine for navigation, streamed music, radio (better quality radio reception over data through TuneIn radio), listening to the news which Google packages into short bulletins from user-specified providers (BBC, Sky, CNN, NPR, Reuters etc.), and most important VOICE COMMANDS.

I have not had too many problems with it. By saying "Hey Google" when driving I can do voice commands - don't even need to press the button most of the time. Calling has not been an issue at all.

I do find, however, that compared to my Kia, the unit on the MG is very slow. It probably has as slower processor.

I was looking at those earlier today.
If it comes with 3 cables then it may work for me. (I charge in the Car, lounge and bedroom).

I am currently using a cable with a 90 degree plug (sideways if looking at the front of the phone). This would work great if only the hole in the tray was not bang in the centre so you have to wrestle with it.

I ordered a 90 degree adapter earlier today - same as used by @Tango130
If I don't get on with this adapter then magnetic ones may be the way to go.
Some magnetic ones are either a poor connection or a weak magnet, but those I bought in my link are good on both counts and you get 3. (y)

I have bought a new cable for Andriod Auot, connection has improved, but there is no consistent pattern. Mostly have to plug in twice, at times thrice, however the new cable has helped.

Last edited:
I find mine connects best with the cable with wifi switched off and bluetooth switched on on the phone. Bluetooth is switched on for the car as well, so wondering if it is just doing a bluetooth connection and ignoring the cable.

I find mine connects best with the cable with wifi switched off and bluetooth switched on on the phone. Bluetooth is switched on for the car as well, so wondering if it is just doing a bluetooth connection and ignoring the cable.
Thanks I will try with wifi off, bluetooth is switched on

It's my understanding, and I'm happy to be educated here, once connected through the wire all functions are controlled through the car, access for contacts in the phone is through the wire and voice control for dialing, nav etc is through the car. I wouldn't have thought BT is needed, BUT, that's my understanding and would be happy to hear if that's wrong.
EDIT. WIFI on due to google maps & waze needing it to update

EDIT 2
Found this, I am wrong!

But what’s sometime confusing for many is that despite using a wired connection, Bluetooth is still required for Android Auto to run. In other words, despite running Android Auto on your car’s screen using a USB cable, the device still needs to be paired with the vehicle’s head unit via Bluetooth as well.

Last edited:
It's my understanding, and I'm happy to be educated here, once connected through the wire all functions are controlled through the car, access for contacts in the phone is through the wire and voice control for dialing, nav etc is through the car. I wouldn't have thought BT is needed, BUT, that's my understanding and would be happy to hear if that's wrong.

Bluetooth is turned on automatically when Andriod Auto is connected to the car via USB, for calls and HFP as above.

Screenshot 2021-01-22 at 12.26.01.png

EDIT 2
Found this, I am wrong!

But what’s sometime confusing for many is that despite using a wired connection, Bluetooth is still required for Android Auto to run. In other words, despite running Android Auto on your car’s screen using a USB cable, the device still needs to be paired with the vehicle’s head unit via Bluetooth as well.
I only turned the Wi-Fi off to ensure it was using the phone's data, as it still connects to home Wi-Fi when plugging in on my drive and didn't want it to then have to switch when I set off knowing how temperamental it can be.

Some magnetic ones are either a poor connection or a weak magnet, but those I bought in my link are good on both counts and you get 3. (y)
I ordered some and they seem to work fine.

Have yet to establish the best arrangement in the car.
The hole in the mat just doesn't work as its where the connector needs to plug in the phone.
(May need to use a stick on cable clip).

I ordered some and they seem to work fine.

Have yet to establish the best arrangement in the car.
The hole in the mat just doesn't work as its where the connector needs to plug in the phone.
(May need to use a stick on cable clip).
Latest is that Android auto refused to work this afternoon.
When I checked the connector I spotted the tiny plastic connector has crumbled. Only been used a couple of days.
Emailed them about a replacement or refund. (It is a lot easier to connect/disconnect these leads).

This afternoon the right angled adapter came, so back to plan B tomorrow.

I bought a 0.25 metre (approx. 10 inches) lead which fits perfectly lengthwise from socket through the hole and into the phone without loads of cable everywhere.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom