What are the advantages of Android Auto?

Orcadian

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
For an old codger like me, could you explain the advantages of Android Auto.Lets not talk about music, just advantages for driving etc. i.e. Do I need to bother?

It's really handy for navigation as the google maps from within android auto can give live traffic etc as it uses mobile data to keep it up to date, plus it's always up to date :)
Also you can use voice commands for calling/navigating Press the talk button on the steering wheel and can say something like "Navigate to the closest rapid charger/Hospital/carpark" etc etc

It's really handy for navigation as the google maps from within android auto can give live traffic etc as it uses mobile data to keep it up to date, plus it's always up to date :)
Also you can use voice commands for calling/navigating Press the talk button on the steering wheel and can say something like "Navigate to the closest rapid charger/Hospital/carpark" etc etc
Thanks for the info. we got our new car home on Friday and I am still exploring all the bells and whistles. I'm a bit of a Dinosaur when it comes to using Apps on my phone. I mostly use it for making calls and texts. I have managed to get Android Auto working, sso here's my question. Now that I have set it up, do I just need to plug in my phone at the start of a journey without the need toset up again? I told you I was a Dinosaur ;-)

Thanks for the info. we got our new car home on Friday and I am still exploring all the bells and whistles. I'm a bit of a Dinosaur when it comes to using Apps on my phone. I mostly use it for making calls and texts. I have managed to get Android Auto working, sso here's my question. Now that I have set it up, do I just need to plug in my phone at the start of a journey without the need toset up again? I told you I was a Dinosaur ;-)
You just need to plug it back in, now it's set up it's easier :)
Basically plug it back in to the car, press the android auto button on the radio screen, done :)

I had issues with mine; I believe it was the phone so switched phones with my daughter (it was her old IPhone) and now car play works much better for me.

Sometimes it can be picky with the type of USB cable. I had to try a few before they work perfectly.
I haven't bothered with Android Auto because it kept dropping out and was unreliable. Also I like my Google maps being easy to see without taking my eyes too far from the road (phone holder in the bottom right corner of windscreen).
I have however just bought a 'proper' 8 inch USB C cable (was previously using an adapter on the end of a micro USB to attach to the phone) and Android Auto now works perfectly. :)

I think I will still use the phone holder for SatNav but will connect for other things.

I can't get my phone calls to work through Android Auto. It automatically routes to my phone and if I press Bluetooth it sends it to my smart watch 😡

Tonight my entertainment completely crashed. The screen was stuck on this page and nothing I did would fix it. I turned the car off and on several times, left the car and locked it and unlocked it and nothing worked.
No audio, no HVAC display and no android auto. Then ten minutes after giving up and continuing the journey it rebooted itself.

Android Auto is utter ****. Now I can't even use my voice control. Every time I press the button or even try and use it through the screen it tells me that "when it's safe you first need to tap the notification before being able to use android phone Auto whilst driving"

Yet there is no notification on the screen or my phone. I deleted the car from the Android Auto app, deleted all the data and cache and still it won't work.
And I'm using the latest Google Pixel phone so you'd think it would work.
I am absolutely at the end of my tether with it.

Attachments

• PXL_20210112_170112780.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20210112_170112780.NIGHT.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 123
I can't get my phone calls to work through Android Auto. It automatically routes to my phone and if I press Bluetooth it sends it to my smart watch 😡
Is it showing as connected to the car using Bluetooth?

The cable is used for display only - music and calls use Bluetooth.

I have never had issues with Bluetooth but in several cars struggled with the cable connection.
(Part of the issue is samsung phones, also getting a decent or original cable).

It's connected with Bluetooth and via the cable.
But when a call comes in or I ask Google to make one it doesn't even work through Bluetooth.
It's got to be an Android Auto issue as I use a very high quality cable and the latest software update on my phone and for Android Auto. I also have the latest Google phone.
I've done everything Google has suggested to sort it and nothing works.

Android Auto is utter ****. Now I can't even use my voice control. Every time I press the button or even try and use it through the screen it tells me that "when it's safe you first need to tap the notification before being able to use android phone Auto whilst driving"

Yet there is no notification on the screen or my phone. I deleted the car from the Android Auto app, deleted all the data and cache and still it won't work.
And I'm using the latest Google Pixel phone so you'd think it would work.
Hard to diagnose from a distance, but I have a Google Pixel 5 connected with an annke 0.5m cable. I've had zero issues at all, it just works. It doesn't matter when I connect my phone sometimes before I start the car, others times it's after.

Given that my infotainment is playing up, perhaps the issue is with the cars software. It's going in for a knocking sunroof and rattling A-pillars at the end of the month so I'll get them to check it out.

Hello All,

Re Android auto mine only works and initialises when plugged and unplugged twice then continues to work ok. Ive tried both ports and 3 different phones (LG, redmi, realme oppo)

I am normally wait for a few minutes after starting to let the headunit wake up but have tried it plugged in from boot up. Is this something I'm not quite doing right or is there any other settings to help? I haven't changed the cable as yet but as it works after 2nd time does this seem unlikely or mayl I should change it?

I'd say try another cable.

My android auto works 1st time everytime, it doesn't matter when I plug it in, sometimes before ready mode, sometimes after.

Google Pixel 5, with Annke 0.5m cable.

I'd say try another cable.

My android auto works 1st time everytime, it doesn't matter when I plug it in, sometimes before ready mode, sometimes after.

Google Pixel 5, with Annke 0.5m cable.
Wow fast reply thanks. Great that's good to know it should work first time 👍

I'll get a new cable on order and report back. Thank you

Also, I have one of these fitted onto the end of my cable so that just the 90deg adaptor is poking through the hole in the tray. I did have to slightly trim the hole, but the phone sits in the tray nicely and the cable is tucked away underneath.

Screenshot 2021-01-21 at 12.15.56.png

I find plugging tiny plugs in and out a bit of a kerfuffle at the best of times, so I bought these magnetic right angled ones.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PXQQ5CX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I was looking at those earlier today.
If it comes with 3 cables then it may work for me. (I charge in the Car, lounge and bedroom).

I am currently using a cable with a 90 degree plug (sideways if looking at the front of the phone). This would work great if only the hole in the tray was not bang in the centre so you have to wrestle with it.

I ordered a 90 degree adapter earlier today - same as used by @Tango130
If I don't get on with this adapter then magnetic ones may be the way to go.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom