Any better overnight tariffs?

NeilF

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hello everyone.

I have a new MG4 and will be installing an electric storage battery for our solar panels and overnight cheap electricity.

Can anyone recommend their electricity provider that offers a better overnight tariff than Scottish Power?
Night rate: 7 hours @ £0.12
Day rate: £0.47 (seems very high to me)

Thanks for any replies.
Neil

Ovo do 10p but only for the EV with an Ohme.
Octopus do 10p min 6 hours again currently only with an Ohme.
If you are getting a lot of solar and large battery check out Octopus Flux.

Hello everyone.

I have a new MG4 and will be installing an electric storage battery for our solar panels and overnight cheap electricity.

Can anyone recommend their electricity provider that offers a better overnight tariff than Scottish Power?

Thanks for any replies.
Neil
What capacity is your home storage battery? How much home electricity and car electricity will you use? Anticipated solar generation?

What capacity is your home storage battery? How much home electricity and car electricity will you use? Anticipated solar generation?
The battery is about 20kWH and we do 100-200 miles per week

Ovo do 10p but only for the EV with an Ohme.
Octopus do 10p min 6 hours again currently only with an Ohme.
If you are getting a lot of solar and large battery check out Octopus Flux.
Will be using Myenergi’s Libbi and Zappi, as this can direct any spare solar directly to the EV

Your existing tariff, though high during peak looks hard to beat. Especially given that you won’t use much peak energy. Most EV peak tariffs are around 44p at the moment. I’m on Octopus 6hrs at 10p the rest is 44p.

Will be using Myenergi’s Libbi and Zappi, as this can direct any spare solar directly to the EV
I take it you will have a 5kWh invertor, with that low mileage I would definitely check out Octopus Flux as it pays well to export during 4-7pm.

Hello everyone.

Thanks for any replies.
Neil
Octopus Go 7.5p 12.30 to4.30 and 32.6p daytime rate.

Definitely old. My 7.5p/29p expired last month, now I'm on 12p/42p and feeling it...
Would you be better off switching over to the BG EV tariff? More hours I think and 10p at the lower rate. On my figures it worked out better for me (assuming you are on Octopus Go)

Would you be better off switching over to the BG EV tariff? More hours I think and 10p at the lower rate. On my figures it worked out better for me (assuming you are on Octopus Go)
It would be a marginal gain as day rate is higher. I'm going to wait a bit, don't know how long, to see if there are any movements in the Go rate in the coming months.
The biggest gain of course would be to OVO, but I don't have an Ohme. :(

In the end I think we will stick with Scottish Power. The guy at Octopus told me that the link to Ohme is because their offer is quite new and they have plans to expand to other chargers in time.
The market is readjusting after the crisis caused by the invasion of Ukraine so I expect more providers will start to provide competative EV tariffs over the next few months.

Prices starting to drop, octopus intelligent down to 7.5p and 38p email received today

I agree but 7.5p and 38p is moving in the right direction, come July I'm hoping the 38p drops another decent% they can leave the night rate at 7.5p for me happy with that

Despite making most of it Scotland suffers with the standing charge it's 60p
That's because it now factors in regional distribution costs thanks to Ofgem's changes last year. We are on 56p here, one of the highest for the same reason.

Edit: We are effectively entirely powered by nuclear from Hinkley Point and Cornish and Devonian wind farms and solar.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom