Anyone else's wing mirrors creak/squeal when closing?

Neil Fellows

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
As per the title, does anyone else's wing mirrors creak or squeal when closing? Car is around a month old and its been getting progressively louder to the point now where its just embarrassing! Its so loud I can't hear the 'zap-zap' noise of the charge cable locking in when I lock the car anymore.

Will get it booked in at the dealers but wanted to check first if it's a known issue.

As per the title, does anyone else's wing mirrors creak or squeal when closing? Car is around a month old and its been getting progressively louder to the point now where its just embarrassing! Its so loud I can't hear the 'zap-zap' noise of the charge cable locking in when I lock the car anymore.

Will get it booked in at the dealers but wanted to check first if it's a known issue.
If you search the forum you'll find it is a known issue and also the solution - a spray with some PTFE type lubricant.

Mine have been silent since.

If you search the forum you'll find it is a known issue and also the solution - a spray with some PTFE type lubricant.

Mine have been silent since.
Thanks, I'll have a look. I did a search prior to posting but couldn't find anything, hence the post. Will have another search.

I assume WD40 is "PTFE", or is it something more specific?

I assume WD40 is "PTFE", or is it something more specific?
ducks and covers....

I think the general consensus I get from most forums is that the only time WD40 should go anywhere near your car is when you're transporting the can home...

Admittedly though - I don't really know why, but I've heard from enough people who I believe do know what they're talking about to suggest that it's not ideal...

That goes for the standard stuff. They do seem to do a WD40 branded PTFE lubricant though - again, I don't really know enough to reccommend but it may be better for this purpose than standard WD40.
WD-40 Dry PTFE Lubricant 400ml

ducks and covers....

I think the general consensus I get from most forums is that the only time WD40 should go anywhere near your car is when you're transporting the can home...

Admittedly though - I don't really know why, but I've heard from enough people who I believe do know what they're talking about to suggest that it's not ideal...

That goes for the standard stuff. They do seem to do a WD40 branded PTFE lubricant though - again, I don't really know enough to reccommend but it may be better for this purpose than standard WD40.
Thanks, I did a quick search and found that specific WD40 one too, so will probably give it a go. Less faff than taking it to the dealer.

I had the same issue on the nearside and cured it with Silicone spray.

ducks and covers....

Thanks for the tip. I just bought some of this in Halfords and it does the job.

I'm confused! Is it the one on the left or right please? I'm guessing the one on the right:

Screenshot 2021-09-13 at 14.47.jpg

Does the PTFE dispel water, freezing is sometimes a problem in Winter ?

Does the PTFE dispel water, freezing is sometimes a problem in Winter ?
I guess it does, as plumbers use PTFE tape and paste to seal threads etc on fittings.
I have the WD40 PTFE spray and the white lithium grease spray.
I just favoured the light weight white lithium grease.
A lot of manufactures use it on contact points like door locks / check straps / window regulator mechanism’s etc.
But not MG it appears 🤣.
My car is parked outside on the drive, last winter when it was REALLY cold, the drivers door handle would not return at first when I opened the door.
It needed a bit of help to return it to the closed position.
My previous VAG car never did this.
It will be interesting to see if it does the same this year, now I have applied the lithium spray grease !.
A family member also has a ZS EV and his rear drivers door handle was sticking when it was really cold.
As soon as the morning frost had lifted, the handle worked fine every time.
He used the standard WD40 spray, which if fantastic stuff to free off the problem, but you need something else to back it up, or after time it will dry out.
That’s where the lithium spray comes in.
Time will tell I guess !.

I had it with both mirrors took video and went to dealer. As it had rained and they didn't squeak they said No fault found despite the video sound evidence. Had to go back for a replacement interior light that rattled (spares took 12 weeks). Nice warm day mirrors squeaking so loud it turns passers by heads. They lubed them. Don't see why you should have to do it yourself when I suspect "lub mirrors" could be on PDI along with removing any other post shipping protection, re lub items.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom