Anyone recommend installer for Tethered Charger (7kW) ??

madmartyr71

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I'm collecting my new HS PHEV tomorrow and looking at getting a Tethered Charger (7kW) installed in my garage. Anyone recommendations or anyone used Pod Point?

Depends on your budget. I honestly think if you are installing a smart(ish) charger, maybe give Indra's SmartPro a go

Zappi are great if your are thinking of getting solar and good as the have PEN protection.

There will always be personal favourites in wall boxes.
I really like the Hypervolt units myself, don’t have one, but this would be my choice.
There customer service is spot on !.
Zappi is another good option.
Anderson make a really nice looking, tidy wall box with a big choice of front covers.
Not the cheapest, but good quality.
If it’s going inside of your garage, then as it will not be visible with the door closed, then appearance is not on the top of your list I guess ?.
My wall box is on the internal wall of my garage, I just bring the cable under the rubber weather strip of the door,
Most wall boxes come with a 5 metre cable as standard.
Just an idea, before ordering, consider getting a longer tethered cable installed.
Just to add a bit of future proofing.
Your next EV or a friends EV may have a charging port on the rear wing.
It maybe a struggle to reach with a standard 5 metre cable ??.
Something worth considering anyway.
I replaced my tethered 5 metre cable that was looking a bit worse for wear after almost 5 years.
I replaced it with a 7.5 metre cable that was an extra £25 over the standard 5 metre cable, if I remember correctly.

I decided not to get a 7Kwh charging point installed as the phev cannot use the full benefit of it , and as stated can only use 3.7 Kw max due to the limit of the charger on the car.
The granny charger delivers 2.3 Kwh , so you are basically paying £600 for 1.4 kwh faster charging , which may save you about 1.30 hours time , so for me that just did not cost in.
Especially when I leave it plugged in over night to use the octopus cheap rate.
I also think when its time to buy a full EV, and the closer to 2030 in the UK, there will probably be more incentives from the EV car sales for either a free ( or reduced rate ) charging points.
Also they are changing at such a rate , by 2030 who knows what they will be like .
But everyone is different , and moving forward we will all need to get a charging point.
Welcome to the forum , there is a lot of information here to help answer any questions , you just need to look or use the search function.
In the end , there are a few quirks with the car , but basically its a great car ( in my opinion ) and so far I've really enjoyed driving it on lots of short journeys ( less than 35 miles ,and use EV mode only ) or longer journeys ( 35 - 60 miles , where I manually switch between EV and hybrid to get the best efficiency) and really long journeys eg Birmingham to London or to Cornwall or wales , where the EV part is minimal.
On all the journeys it been really great to drive and very comfortable to drive.

Type 2 is a standard and has a wide adoption and so is CCS which goes well with Type 2. I doubt that will see a change as EU has adopted both as a standard for cars sold.

Who knows what incentives will be in place - as things stand, OLEV grant contribution £350 sends next year.

The thing in favour of dedicated charger is that they are far more reliable due to having dedicated wiring. 3 pin sockets need to be checked every so often for heating up. I had outdoor socket burn out in early days of Leaf (3 years ago while waiting for dedicated charger). Last year with Outlander, I had internal socket I was using burn up.

I have picked up new / unused Rolec 3.6kW charger that I will (or likely getting electrician to) wire up by splicing onto existing 7kW wiring. Our other car is Leaf that charges at 3.3kW so 7kW being spliced shouldn't be an issue.

When we replace the car for higher capacity onboard charger, I will get the wiring replaced

I've got a Pod Point and has worked well for me!

Installation was done through Pod Point and they handled getting the installer to me (I did have to supply photo's of my intended location and where I expected the cables to go) and, luckily, they issued their app which included timed charging not long after I was up and running.

Only had 1 issue when it wouldn't deliver any charge but phoned their customer helpline and they did an over-the-air update and I was back running within 5 minutes.

Not the prettiest charger and I went for an untethered charger because I had the Outlander PHEV which uses a Type 1 connection whilst the wife had the ZS EV (uses a Type 2 connector as you know) but suits my needs and is reliable enough so would recommend them.

Minor inconvenience to unroll and roll back up the cable but can't be helped and it also gives the house that little bit 'extra' when it comes to selling it! ;)

Cheers

Bloggsy

I've got a PodPoint too and would recommend it.

Their installation was quick and convenient. The charger is on the outside wall of my garage and was fitted in a couple of hours. I had to wait less than 2 weeks from ordering and doing the online survey mention above.

The app allows scheduled charging OK, but their stats from the app still need debugging. i.e. a charge starting at 00.30 on a Monday morning will show as happening on the Sunday. Also, the charge end time only ever shows as when you finally unplug the car in the morning. However, these are minor inconveniences, I feel.

I got a tethered version and it came with a 7.5M cable. This is ideal for me as I can drive forwards onto the drive and the cable will still reach the port at the back of the car where a 5M cable would not.

I've only ever had a single scheduled charge failure and I'm now pretty sure that was caused by the charge cable lock on the car not engaging properly when I plugged in. This is the subject of other threads. I now hold the connector firmly in the socket as I lock the car and then you can hear the lock engage properly.

Hope this helps.

I got a podpoint installed as overall their reviews showed mostly positive. I can not fault the service from planning to install. Only a few photos needed so they can work out if it was a standard install. Mine is a 1930's house so was worried would need some sort of upgrade.

Luckily I had a 100amp fuse and even though they had to drill through 2 walls to install the box, still classified as install. They have tethered and untethered versions. I got the untethered version, only because my garden is a magnet for spiders and I did't want to scrape off spider webs every time I use it.

I watched a few youtube videos about the pros and cons of chargepoint install and the chance that the granny charger may overheat, even if its just once scares me as it's a long term thing for me. I'm filming a HS PHEV youtube review video, I'll add a short section on chargers.

I can't speak about the app as I haven't used it, I just plug in for a few hours as and when I need to charge up. It takes max 4.5hrs from 0%

I got a podpoint installed as overall their reviews showed mostly positive. I can not fault the service from planning to install. Only a few photos needed so they can work out if it was a standard install. Mine is a 1930's house so was worried would need some sort of upgrade.

Luckily I had a 100amp fuse and even though they had to drill through 2 walls to install the box, still classified as install. They have tethered and untethered versions. I got the untethered version, only because my garden is a magnet for spiders and I did't want to scrape off spider webs every time I use it.

I watched a few youtube videos about the pros and cons of chargepoint install and the chance that the granny charger may overheat, even if its just once scares me as it's a long term thing for me. I'm filming a HS PHEV youtube review video, I'll add a short section on chargers.

I can't speak about the app as I haven't used it, I just plug in for a few hours as and when I need to charge up. It takes max 4.5hrs from 0%
Did you goto Pod Point direct or use a 3rd party installer?

I pretty sure that the MG PHEV is more than happy to charge from a 3.5 kw 16 Amp wall box.
So, selecting a 32 Amp 7 kw wall box may appear to be over kill for the HS.
And strictly speaking it is, but I would suggest that if the increase in upgrade price for the 32 Amp 7 kw unit is only small cost ( for my unit it was only an extra £10 ) then go for the larger output unit every single time.
If you do decide to go for the 3.5 kw unit for the PHEV and then upgrade to a full BEV in a few years time, then your relatively new 3.5 kw unit, is not taking advantage of the faster changing speed of most BEV’s.
Therefore charging will then take double the time, unless you upgrade your wall box.
I would install a 7kw 32Amp unit now and future proof yourself.
My previous car was a PHEV and charged fine on my 7 kw wall box for over four years, then when I moved to a full BEV the charger was already able to provide the extra power for faster 7 kw charging.

Hermitdave wrote:
"Who knows what incentives will be in place - as things stand, OLEV grant contribution £350 sends next year."

Where did the removal of OLEV £350 grant ending come from? I am wondering whether to go wall box or stick with the 3 pin, I don't even have the car yet!
It is of course a possible as the Country is cash strapped and cutting grants may help, but I've not seen or heard anything in the news or press.

Hermitdave wrote:
"Who knows what incentives will be in place - as things stand, OLEV grant contribution £350 sends next year."

Where did the removal of OLEV £350 grant ending come from? I am wondering whether to go wall box or stick with the 3 pin, I don't even have the car yet!
It is of course a possible as the Country is cash strapped and cutting grants may help, but I've not seen or heard anything in the news or press.
The grant amount has been steadily decreasing. Officially they can cut it at any point with 4 weeks notice.

Hermitdave wrote:

This video is talking about it changing rather than ending as such - but sounds like it's more focused for landlords and building owners - and they do mention the scheme is ending for home owners (as far as I remember)

I'm collecting my new HS PHEV tomorrow and looking at getting a Tethered Charger (7kW) installed in my garage. Anyone recommendations or anyone used Pod Point?
Hi
I not
Hi I can recommend this company base in Wales
They are on the ball and know what they are doing

They installed my Zappi 2 tethered unit which is excellent particularly if you have solar panels

They do lots of alternative units and their prices are very fair

Enjoy your EV

Paul Lock, Managing Director

Energise EV Ltd

Phone: 0330 111 7203

Mobile: 07388 786404

Web: www.energiseev.co.uk

Email: [email protected]
r

For what it's worth...I live here in Gozo and have just had the power company install a special low tariff meter and control box fitted for free. I also had the only distributor of wall chargers here in Malta recommended by MG Malta install a new EO Mino Pro2 7.2Kw unit in my garage. It is connected via Ethernet to my distribution panel in my home should I wish to use the app.

I am very happy with it and I get the full warranty as the UK.
We get cheap low-rate charge from 12.00 to 06.00 Mon to Fri, 12midday to 16.00hrs Mon to Fri and 24 hrs Saturday and Sunday. For me it was a no brainer to pay for the fast charger as I only use electric on the island. Some petrol is used when going over to Malta mainland.
So, for me although the 'granny charger' was adequate getting the fast charger was a must. Here it was not possible to use the granny charger on 'off peak' as you would be able to in the UK as its all on one meter that just changes the rate of the supply. To get the 'off peak rate' a separate meter and control box is needed. It also gives me the option that in a few years when I can buy a reasonably priced 500-600Kms range all electric car I have no need to upgrade my charging source. I did check out other chargers but didn't have the choice as you have in UK.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom