App charging

DON

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi all have tried charging from the app with no luck, also set scheduled charging still does not work I'm I missing something? I plug charger in, lock car set time in app to start put pin in and save, or do I have to do anything in car infotainment screen ? thanks

Hi, is this on your home 7kW EVSE or a rapid?
Have you gotva 'granny' you can try?

Let's start off with some basics. Does the car charge manually on the charger. No schedule or % limits set?

For info you are not alone...

Last edited:
Seems to me this story stopped well before the end of the plot...

I've got a similar query. I came in last night and decided to set the target battery level to 80%. I saw it was at 79% when I went to bed but I didn't do anything about it because I wanted to see what it did. When I got up this morning the battery was 100% charged.

Are other people having this issue? If it's better to keep the battery at 80% rather than 100%, it's going to be a bit difficult to do that if you have to set your alarm for 3am to turn the charging off manually.

I haven't tried scheduling charging times.

I can't remember - is yours the SR or LR version of the SE? If it's the SR version then just charge to 100% - nothing to be lost by doing so; I always charge mine to 100% (unless I'm using a DC charge point).

Yes, it's the SR version. I've been getting conflicting advice about this, although everyone seems to agree that it's not the issue with the SR that it is with the other two models. There is the minor issue that regenerative braking isn't going to work when you first drive off, but I don't suppose it takes very long to come online. (I just drove to the bottle bank this morning though, and I think I'm still at 98%.)

It would be interesting to know how much the app does as it's told though. Night-time charging is often cheaper than switching it on as soon as you get home.

I have the Trophy and I set it to only charge to 80% on the iSmart app which it does. The charging times are set on my Zappi charger.

I had been fiddling with the settings in the early part of the charging process, so maybe I confused it. I'll leave it on 80% and see what happens next time I try to charge.

Hmm - in my iSMART app I can't set a charge limit with my SE SR; it's 100% or 100%. (Because the LFP battery pack in the SR is recommended to always be charged to 100%).

OK, that's probably the simple answer. I was confused because it was letting me set a limit and in fact seemed to be recommending it, but then it just ignored it!

I set the charge limit for my Trophy at 80% using the iSmart app. I then set the scheduled timer on my Easee charge point app. Twice now the charge limit has moved to 100% either before or during charging. Not good for a Trophy if I don’t plan to drive it the next day!

After the first phantom move from 80-100% I checked that iSmart was properly set at 80% and confirmed a couple of hours later that it was still 80%. But it mysteriously moved to 100% during the rest of the evening/night.

That's very helpful, thanks. Presumably this is in the handbook but I haven't had time to read all of it yet! I had picked up that a full charge was less problematic on the SR than the LR and that was one of the reasons for choosing it, but I hadn't realised it was actually recommended.

Another question. Once the car is charged, is there any drawback to just leaving the granny charger plugged in? I've been unplugging it in the morning so as to get the garage door shut (the power point is in the garage and the car is sitting outside, for now), but once the garage space is clear I plan to keep the car inside - wing mirror clearance permitting! - and I might easily forget to go out and unplug it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back