I used Applegreen twice at South Mimms on my MG5 LR without a hitch this month. Very simple and easy to use with a bank card. Charging hit a peak of 75kw. I noticed they have more units ready to roll out, currently under covers. There were also loads of units almost ready at Birchanger off the M11.

I managed to use one at Abington earlier this month, although I had some difficulty getting it to read my card. Several people were having the same problem and people were moving between chargers. But once I got a charger to like the colour of my plastic, it was fine. No repeat of the issue I'd had at Gretna, and no phantom pre-authorisations in my bank account either.

I've now decided I'd rather have Applegreen than Ionity any day.

There are half a dozen or so new AppleGreens at Birchanger services on the M11. They were staffed by a couple of very cold and damp assistants who were eager to help. They said they had had a few teething problems where cars won't charge on AppleGreen but will on Gridserve. He was interested to know that the opposite had been the case for me.
These chargers are not yet on Zapmap. They are 175kwh and cost 79p

I've never had a problem with Gridserve - I don't count the time a Gridserve charger broke down in the middle of charging my car because it had already given me enough to get home on, and besides I wasn't charged!

Second time of asking and a lot of faffing about and I finally got one of the Applegreens at Abington to talk to Caliban.

In other news I tried a Tesla supercharger this evening and apart from the Tesla app hanging on my phone all went fine. This was one of the old ones with no card reader and with short cables.

Yes. My friend invited me to dinner there after we'd been to the cinema at the Showcase, because it's my birthday on Monday. We arrived a bit early and it wasn't raining, so I thought I'd give it a go. From where I was parked I only had to reverse about 10 yards to get into a charging bay.

I am realising that there is another reason for the boot spoiler lip on the SE, apart from keeping the rear window clear of mud and being aerodynamic. It is the perfect place to put your phone when you're fiddling with a charger cable. I got into the app and selected the number of the post where I was parked. The app said to plug in, and that it could take up to two minutes to start charging, but it was a lot quicker than that. I had been at 70% and by the time I got back into the restaurant it was at 74%.

Then the app hung. Everything looked normal, I was getting a reading of charging power and current SoC and price, but it wasn't changing. Eventually I tapped on "stop charge" and the wee arrow just went round and round interminably. When I got back out to the car he was still happily slurping up electrons and was on 83% charge. I just stopped the charge from the car's screen, unplugged, and went back inside. Having given Elon Musk £5 for the privilege.

I suppose I should have checked the iSmart app when the Tesla app seemed to be playing up. That would probably have shown the true situation.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom