Are Smart meters about to become Dumb meters?

AFAIK the ability to upgrade is built into the design of the communications hub.
Definitely not something on my worry list!

My smart meters are already dumb!

Had both gas and electric meters changed last August, never had a display or reading from the gas meter since.

I have smets1 meters and they are already obsolete. Octopus is trying to register my gas one via dcc as a smets2, since September. No joy yet. As for them going dumb by 2030, that is 2030’s Jay’s problem.

I have a secure branded smets1 meter installed by eon, octopus are able to read it without issue. I asked if they were planning to upgrade it to smets2 and the response was that as it's working, it's not on the horizon.

As you say, that's a 2030s problem, and in realistic terms, my suppliers problem. Not mine.

Just picking up on this. We currently have a SMETS1 meter that my now wife got installed before we were together. I am having a hard time trying to understand if this can be used on a time of day tariff such as Octopus Energy offer. My current supplier's customer service is like walking through treacle to deal with. I can't decide if they are being evasive or incompetent on this question.

Does anyone know definitely if SMETS1 can be used on time of day or do you always need a SMETS2?

Smets1 will only work if 'Secure' branded.

So, you can only use a time of day tariff with a SMETS1 if it is "Secure" branded.

Ours is a Landis+Gyr branded meter so what are our options?

So, you can only use a time of day tariff with a SMETS1 if it is "Secure" branded.

I had the same sort of SMETS1 meter, installed by British Gas. I changed to Octopus and they fitted a new SMETS2 meter, then I was able to go onto Octopus Go, which gives 4 hours of cheap electricity for EV charging.

HTH

Dave

You can have a time of day tarrif with smets1, but only with suppliers that use the same brand of meter. Octopus Support 'secure' branded smets1 meters. I'm on go with an eon installed smets1 secure branded meter.

Smets2 meters are interchangeable between any supplier. As Dave posted, you can move to Octopus, request a smart meter, they'll install a smets2, you can then move to Go. It will take a few months, but you will get to where you want to be.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom