• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Are the auto lights linked to the clock?…

Diggsy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Genuine question, could the auto lights be linked in any way to the clock? I ask as I noticed the last few evenings that they came on around or before 8pm, regardless as to how bright it still was at that time. There were zero shadows from trees where I was driving, and it was still very bright.

Anyone else noticed this, or is it just the sensor being ridiculously sensitive?

Have you removed the sensor cover? (Do that - or drill a hole and fit a clear plastic sticker over it for dust protection - and the auto-lights work properly).

The sensor is actually ridiculously insensitive to light, leading to them coming on if the sun goes behind a cloud.

What I have noticed is that the lights will often stay off on dull days until early evening - much earlier than you'd actually want them to come on, but at least when evening is approaching. But on very sunny days they go on in the middle of the day if the car goes into any shadow at all. This is particularly noticeable on tree-lined roads, where they come on in the shadow of the trees then go off again when the car comes back into sunlight.

I turn them off as soon as I notice this behaviour. If I'm still driving when dusk actually happens I'll turn them back on, or else they come back on automatically when you start the car again.

This is another reason for not having the infotainment screen go light/dark in synch with the headlights.

Have you removed the sensor cover? (Do that - or drill a hole and fit a clear plastic sticker over it for dust protection - and the auto-lights work properly).

Somewhere there is a thread with a template to make replacement sensor covers with 3D printing. A friend of mine was offering to produce these, I need to get back to him and see if there has been any progress.

No, haven’t tried that yet, but might give it a go…removal rather than drilling it I think.

I take it you haven’t noticed this behaviour with yours removed? I just found it really odd on very bright evenings…

This is the thread everyone needs to read if they haven't already.

Who remembers the evening papers publishing Lighting Up times every day. Maybe the car is using its data connection to connect to local newspapers as you drive up and down the country.

How do I put anything other than a 👍in the box?
Press the (y) for slightly longer and it displays the options above it. Press one of those and it will post that…

Attachments

• IMG_5785.png
    IMG_5785.png
    446.9 KB · Views: 51
Right inside the bottom of the windscreen.

I started to do it but was afraid I'd break/ruin something. Any tips?

It is a little fiddly. You'll need to get a slim plastic trim tool down the back edge and probably lever it gently up with a small screwdriver as anything plastic wont have the strength required.
I put tape along the edge of the dash panel to avoid marks, the 'hard' plastics in the fours' interior have the consistency of recently cooled toffee :oops:

Right inside the bottom of the windscreen.

I started to do it but was afraid I'd break/ruin something. Any tips?
I used a plastic spudger to remove mine. There are 2 clips on the edge facing you, about 8mm in from each side, and one in the middle of the edge nearest the windscreen. (If you unclip the edge facing you then the cover easily pulls out).

1685613667701.png
1685613697900.png

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums