• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Auto Boot Closing

newforest21

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
Very new driver of my HS PHEV and quite liking it - previously driver of ZS EV but no longer (see thread on ZS Forum relating to sudden, shuddering stop!).
I have had some instances with the auto boot when it appears to close but the lock doesn't engage. Having not realised this have driven off with the boot partly open - dash warning flagged this up.
Is this a common problem or is it back to the dealer - in the short term I need to physically check the boot is closed.

It happens if there something that in the way and will stop it closing, if you have a boot mat make sure it’s well in.

I have never seen this problem , when there is nothing in the boot.
The only small issue I have is when the boot is full of stuff ( camping gear or golf clubs for example) , it seems very sensitive and so if it feels the slightest resistance ( even if the load is not covering the locking mechanism) it stops. I now know this so gently close it manually and wait for it lock fully.

My issue is that the boot doesn't open high enough.
I've set the open to max height and even gave it a shove to see if I could tease it higher.
At 6`2" I keep catching it. I'm not that tall!

I have had this when the boot not shut fully and locked. I can hear it and knows the boot didn’t shut properly so never driven off with it unlocked. Doesn’t do it often, only does it once in a blue moon. Never really thought much about it.

I have had this when the boot not shut fully and locked. I can hear it and knows the boot didn’t shut properly so never driven off with it unlocked. Doesn’t do it often, only does it once in a blue moon. Never really thought much about it.
Mine is the same , or it stops halfway from opening/closing when opening the driver door.... Also very often...

Way I look at it we paid £27,500 (price I paid) for a plug in hybrid car that most other brands sell at 35-40k+ for a similar vehicle. You weren't expecting an oil painting for the money? More like a watercolour with some runs. It is what it is but the fact it has a 7 year warranty gives me some piece of mind having it parked in the driveway. So far savings has been good as we bought it specifically for the 30 mile battery range. yes boot doesn't close all the time, car is slow to boot up, transmission lag etc.

Mine sometimes doesn't latch correctly. At 1st service last month I asked the dealer to check it. I was told that they had adjusted the tailgate. Since then, the issue has been worse! I therefore suspect that the mechanism isn't of the greatest design. If it isn't a big issue, it might be better to live with it as it doesn't seem like the dealers can adjust it better than the factory. Pretty annoying though...

Getting fed up with this car, previous poster says what do you expect for £27k . Well I expect a tailgate to open fully not to halfway every sodding time. The electrics and software are not fit for purpose . Car needs a total rethink by MG. Last time I buy an MG, badge means nothing nowadays, Chinese crap!

Getting fed up with this car, previous poster says what do you expect for £27k . Well I expect a tailgate to open fully not to halfway every sodding time. The electrics and software are not fit for purpose . Car needs a total rethink by MG. Last time I buy an MG, badge means nothing nowadays, Chinese crap!
Take it back, have you check the open setting, get the dealer to short out, my one open all the way, now and then will may not lock but this is because something in the way.

I am 1m86 and I need to lower my head for like 10 CM..... So for me it's ok....

You can also manually adjust it.
Open the boot,
Push it up as high as it can go,
(Don't break it!!!)
Then hold the close button untill U hear a double beep.
Now it's set at maximum settings.

You crack me up - this must be the first MG you bought, what came before the Chinese took over MG was clearly of much lower quality.
As for my own experience after 2 years of ownership, except for two screws in the 'crap' Goodyear tires to paraphrase your comment, the vehicle has been a lot better than the PHEV Mercedes we also own (had only one! screw in a tire)

As i said earlier its no jewel but it does what it does with all those quirks, has to be the worst mated gearbox and engine I've ever come across but wife loves it and its made good savings with the battery. tail gate is one issue ive had no bother with from the first few times, i just stay well clear of it when its closing and it goes smoothly. an odd time it refuses to close when you hit the button in the boot lid.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom