Auto dimming mirror

Paulie68

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Finally got this installed today:

Mirror.jpg

It also displays internal temperature in the corner, (can also show external, but the comfort 2 update has saved me having to wire an external sensor!) can you spot the temperature probe?

Sensor.jpg

If you can't see it, it's in the top card slot, near the left hand side. :) It does mean I can't use the top slot, but I don't use either anyway! This is the best location for internal temperature, mid height and it doesn't get the sun on it giving a false high reading on sunny days.

Apart from front fog lights, the car is nearly how I want it now :)

@Paulie68,
Hi. Was this a DIY job or a spec tech job. Sound excellent.
Please share all the details.

Hmm... I suppose it depends on your level of ability lol!! It was a simple job for me, but I have extensive auto electrical experience and technical abilities. Might not be for others. It's certainly not an off the shelf solution, you need to source the correct adapter to mate the new mirror to the original mount, modify the sensor array cover to accommodate the wiring, then run the wiring across under the head lining and down under the A pillar trim. A suitable +12v positive that's only on when the car is powered up can be taken from the loom feeding the mirror control switch. Annoyingly, there is no suitable +12v to be had under the interior light/sunroof control panel.

If anyone wants to do this, drop me a line and I'll point you to the right parts and advise on which wires you need to tap into.

Not a job for me then!! :oops: Well done on sorting it out, I admire your technical skill.

I did manage to install my dash-cam though.:)...I have to admit....it was via a USB plug...not hard wired, but it works fine fine.o_O

Last edited:
@Paulie68 and @Chrispydoc,
You guys are far far ahead of me technically. You are doing an excellent job.
I am tempted to have a go at a few add ons but my wife has warned me in the strictest of terms not to attempt any DIY on the ZS EV so I am having to keep things are they are for now.

You may be lucky and get to drive it occasionally, my wife has taken over sole ownership since we got our ZS 2 weeks ago, I think she is in love :)

Hi, can you share the link for the mirror?

I bought my mirror from a Chinese ebay seller, no longer selling there, but there are many available on Aliexpress. Here is one example:

www.aliexpress.com

US $47.5 20% OFF|GreenYi Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror Monitor with Original Special Bracket Safer Driving for Toyota VW Renault Kia Hyundai|auto dim rear view|interior mirrorauto dimming - AliExpress
Smarter Shopping, Better Living! Aliexpress.com
www.aliexpress.com
www.aliexpress.com

Make sure whichever you buy has a bracket mount as shown in picture 3 in the above listing!

You then need one of these so you can use the original mirror bracket:

www.aliexpress.com

US $8.0 |ANSHILONG Universal Ball Connector Bracket Holder for Car Interior Rearview Mirror|DVR Holders| - AliExpress
www.aliexpress.com
www.aliexpress.com

Note! None of the bracket options that come with the new mirror will work, they all put the mirror in the wrong place on the windscreen, you have to use the original mirror bracket with this adapter!

Hope this helps.

Paul

I bought my mirror from a Chinese ebay seller, no longer selling there, but there are many available on Aliexpress. Here is one example:

www.aliexpress.com

US $47.5 20% OFF|GreenYi Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror Monitor with Original Special Bracket Safer Driving for Toyota VW Renault Kia Hyundai|auto dim rear view|interior mirrorauto dimming - AliExpress
www.aliexpress.com
www.aliexpress.com

Make sure whichever you buy has a bracket mount as shown in picture 3 in the above listing!

You then need one of these so you can use the original mirror bracket:

www.aliexpress.com

US $8.0 |ANSHILONG Universal Ball Connector Bracket Holder for Car Interior Rearview Mirror|DVR Holders| - AliExpress
www.aliexpress.com
www.aliexpress.com

Note! None of the bracket options that come with the new mirror will work, they all put the mirror in the wrong place on the windscreen, you have to use the original mirror bracket with this adapter!

Hope this helps.

Paul
Hi please could you confirm which bracket bracket option, the item asks you to select 3 x 3cm or 2.16 x 1.75cm , many thanks

Hi Stormgray,
You cannot find mirror with 4 screws anymore, only this type.
1616671886121.png

so you will need the exact type of mount.
I wanted to use the original mount and change the ball adaptor, unfortunately all the sellers are selling the new type of mirror.
Hi please could you confirm which bracket bracket option, the item asks you to select 3 x 3cm or 2.16 x 1.75cm , many thanks

Hmm... I suppose it depends on your level of ability lol!! It was a simple job for me, but I have extensive auto electrical experience and technical abilities. Might not be for others. It's certainly not an off the shelf solution, you need to source the correct adapter to mate the new mirror to the original mount, modify the sensor array cover to accommodate the wiring, then run the wiring across under the head lining and down under the A pillar trim. A suitable +12v positive that's only on when the car is powered up can be taken from the loom feeding the mirror control switch. Annoyingly, there is no suitable +12v to be had under the interior light/sunroof control panel.

If anyone wants to do this, drop me a line and I'll point you to the right parts and advise on which wires you need to tap into.
What method did you use to remove the factory MG ZS EV original interior mirror, a guy on the Internet shoes wiggling it side to side and sliding it down towards the base of the windscreen, I cannot see any locking grub screws or Allen keys?

What method did you use to remove the factory MG ZS EV original interior mirror, a guy on the Internet shoes wiggling it side to side and sliding it down towards the base of the windscreen, I cannot see any locking grub screws or Allen keys?
That's exactly how you remove it. Be careful it will probably be tight.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom