Autohold function

AreFriendsElectric

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Apologies if this has been covered previously. I have a second generation long range and have started to use the autohold function a bit more recently. I noticed that waiting at lights etc if I were to put my foot on the brake instead this would still use some energy whereas the autohold would not. In terms of efficiency, is using the autohold always the best option? There are obviously some downsides such as a more jerky driving experience etc. Thanks.

For the length of time you are stopped you will be hard pressed to notice any difference in battery capacity. Literally a drop in a bucket. :)

I tend to use auto hold if the delay is more than a few seconds - I hate seeing the motor strain against the brakes! 😄 It takes a bit more throttle control to move away smoothly with auto hold on, but if you press the brake first it releases like hill assist does.

Apologies if this has been covered previously. I have a second generation long range and have started to use the autohold function a bit more recently. I noticed that waiting at lights etc if I were to put my foot on the brake instead this would still use some energy whereas the autohold would not. In terms of efficiency, is using the autohold always the best option? There are obviously some downsides such as a more jerky driving experience etc. Thanks.
I set autohold up as soon as I got the car. Makes driving even easier. I honestly don’t think it would make much difference to the amount of power used over the parking break.

Putting your foot on the brake and not using auto hold is still powering the motor, it's a bit like riding the clutch in a manual.

Auto hold technically places the car in neutral and stops the motor doing motor things.

Surely it’s a question of either a low torque on the motor or the parking brake going on and off all the time? Which is better, who knows? Being used to torque converter autos, I tend to not use Autohold. I’m no expert on electric motors, but it could be argued that continuous low torque is not a good idea. Brushes, heat build up, battery usage etc.

I use autohold always. The car moves off immediately with zero delay on eco setting ( never mind normal or sport setting ) when I press the accelerator.

Surely it’s a question of either a low torque on the motor or the parking brake going on and off all the time? Which is better, who knows? Being used to torque converter autos, I tend to not use Autohold. I’m no expert on electric motors, but it could be argued that continuous low torque is not a good idea. Brushes, heat build up, battery usage etc.
I belive auto hold uses brake system pressure instead of the EPB

You could be correct about the holding system, as I don't use it I don't know. I'm just so used to the alternative. When I have tried autohold, I found the hesitation on take-off a bit disconcerting.

You could be correct about the holding system, as I don't use it I don't know. I'm just so used to the alternative. When I have tried autohold, I found the hesitation on take-off a bit disconcerting.
There is a very slight delay when using autohold. However, this is far less than those ICE vehicles whose engines switch off when stopped.

Yes, it obviously takes some time, probably less than 1 second to release the brakes, but it is noticeable, especially when pulling out into moving traffic!

Just remember using auto hold keeps the brake lights illuminated till you move off. Bit of a pest at night to the driver behind. Suppose it uses more electrics too in that regard. But I always use auto hold unless for extended periods and it’s never caused any noticeable difference to battery range 👍

If you're stopped using non-autohold you will have your foot on the brake anyway so brake lights would be that way too.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom