Battery Cooling Pump, Vibration on acceleration. Anyone else?

Deleted member 9692

Reaction score
OK, I’ve done 250 miles in my Trophy since last Friday. I notice a vibration through the car when accelerating hard. I don’t do that very often but the vibration is definitely there. I think that the vibration may be from a cooling fan that kicks in when the battery is being pressed hard but I haven’t yet had this confirmed or debunked by my dealer.

I experimented today on my way to return the car for the oil leak. Hard acceleration say to 70 and then I feel the vibration through the whole car. Settle the car at 70 and the vibration stays and then disappears, just like a fan switching off.

I am hoping this is a fault rather than a ”feature” as the vibration is more intrusive than I would expect. I could live with it but only just.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Have you tried turning the hvac all the way down to lowest temp and see if you get the vibrating there ? i'm driving a zoe, and you can feel it vibrate the steering wheel when it is working hard in vinter heating the car, you can also get a audible clunk and feel it on the steering wheel when it kicks in. On the zoe the hvac is sitting on the right wing.

Have you tried turning the hvac all the way down to lowest temp and see if you get the vibrating there ? i'm driving a zoe, and you can feel it vibrate the steering wheel when it is working hard in vinter heating the car, you can also get a audible clunk and feel it on the steering wheel when it kicks in. On the zoe the hvac is sitting on the right wing.
Definitely not the HVAC

OK, I’ve done 250 miles in my Trophy since last Friday. I notice a vibration through the car when accelerating hard. I don’t do that very often but the vibration is definitely there. I think that the vibration may be from a cooling fan that kicks in when the battery is being pressed hard but I haven’t yet had this confirmed or debunked by my dealer.

I experimented today on my way to return the car for the oil leak. Hard acceleration say to 70 and then I feel the vibration through the whole car. Settle the car at 70 and the vibration stays and then disappears, just like a fan switching off.

I am hoping this is a fault rather than a ”feature” as the vibration is more intrusive than I would expect. I could live with it but only just.

Anyone else experiencing this?
I have a SE and yesterday I experienced slight vibration from the rear, possibly from the axle are?

I have a SE and yesterday I experienced slight vibration from the rear, possibly from the axle are?
I initially thought it was from the rear on mine, think I was paranoid about the motor/reduction gearbox what with the oil issues. Im thinking cooling fan because it comes on with acceleration but then stays on after you stop accelerating, stopping 15 to 20 seconds after. Interesting to see what dealer says. They have a Trophy demonstrator and I’ll probably ask to take that out for comparison.

It's always a good idea to compare with another car if you can.
I’m bumping this up to see what others are finding. My car has the oil leak, it’s been parked at dealers since 10/10/22 waiting for fix.

Last Sunday, I went and drove the demonstrator, identical car to mine. This also has the vibration I feel. Basically, if you plant the accelerator from say 30 to 70 mph, I can feel the vibration cut in. I thought it was a cooling fan, master tech says it is actually the liquid cooling pump for the battery. I’m not sure that it’s a deal breaker for me but it does feel more intrusive than I would expect.

I’m interested if any other owners who are still mobile feel this. No speeding tickets please boys and girls 😀

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.7%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel