• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Battery heater option in settings

EV car ICE bike

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Evening all,
Does anyone know if the battery heater is set to not work if the ambient temperature is over a certain amount?
We are now on our second display screen in 5mnth old LR model! I did another thread about all the faults we had come up on the dash.
Dealer put a new screen in and since then the battery heater option just defaults back to off after selecting where as it use to stay selected.
We wondered if it was just due to more mild weather or yet another fault as a result of having new unit fitted.
Is it right that putting the heater on helps the battery take on more juice during charging?

It only affects rapid DC chargers and only when temperatures are cold e.g. less than 10deg and you want to achieve the highest charging speeds.

You would only use it selectively, say for 30 min before charging, so it shouldn't stay on for too long or you'll use up a lot of battery.

For fast AC charging you don't need it, in fact you'll waste more energy heating the battery for no good reason.

Evening all,
Does anyone know if the battery heater is set to not work if the ambient temperature is over a certain amount?
We are now on our second display screen in 5mnth old LR model! I did another thread about all the faults we had come up on the dash.
Dealer put a new screen in and since then the battery heater option just defaults back to off after selecting where as it use to stay selected.
We wondered if it was just due to more mild weather or yet another fault as a result of having new unit fitted.
Is it right that putting the heater on helps the battery take on more juice during charging?
Mine switched when I got it in December but now it refuses to switch on, fixed to off. Maybe the mild weather?

Our MG5 still not allowing the battery heater to engage. Every time you tap it in display it just jumps back to off position and it's now -3!
Another trip to MG garage🙄

Update us if they fix it!
We got this response.
Screenshot_20221219_094621_Outlook.jpg

Am I alone in thinking that that response from thomsonfirst seems to completely muddy the water?

I think all posters to this thread have commented that the option in Settings to turn ON the battery heater fails to "stick" and any attempt to do so is immediately cancelled in the software. The statement in that email that On the MG5 battery heating is always ON seems to suggest that the option in Settings is either completely wrong or, indeed, completely redundant.

Or am I missing something obvious?

o_Oo_O

I think all posters to this thread have commented that the option in Settings to turn ON the battery heater fails to "stick" and any attempt to do so is immediately cancelled in the software. The statement in that email that On the MG5 battery heating is always ON seems to suggest that the option in Settings is either completely wrong or, indeed, completely redundant.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree,
where he says the control unit looks after temps says to me that the on/off selector is pretty pointless so why would other countries have it....

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding was that the 'Battery heater ALWAYS on' setting was basically an option between being always on, and being automatic (i.e. it'll heat the battery anyway if you're on a rapid charger and it's cold). Can't find what documentation led me to that though., and can't spot anything in the manual.

I believe the 'always on' option is for colder countries where double-digit negative temperatures are the norm through winter, and you would need to be heating the battery for a while before you got to the charger to get it up to a rapid chargeable temperature. Again, that's what I'm lead to believe and it seems to make sense although I have nothing to back that up...

As such, I turned it on once in September '21 to see what it did (it stayed on), then turned it back off again and haven't touched it since. That being said, it's only been on a rapid twice, and one of those was just to make sure it charged on DC ok...

I asked James at Cleverley and he says his MG5 battery heater switch works and he turns it on when needed for a rapid, possibly why he gets such fast speeds charging!
This my understanding too but will check when my car arrives in the next week or so.

I think most of those who've posted here about the battery heater switch (in Settings) find they cannot activate this because as soon as the icon is moved to On it immediately reverts to Off.

@EVsince2016 do you know whether James at Cleverley has the pre- or post-facelift version of the MG5? I'm assuming it's the pre. In which case he is experiencing the exact opposite of what most of us are seeing! Has a software update changed this feature? (My MG5 was new in March 22 and has not yet had any updates installed.)

As I suggested earlier, something is wrong here, somewhere!

I'm pretty sure that's the preverbial BS.. I can get 90kwh charging from a 150kwh charger when the weather is warmer, but after 45mins driving through town at 1c only managed 35kwh max , and 25kwh the day before after id stopped for an hour..there's no way the battery is being heated.

My MG5 was registered in April 22. The battery heater works OK in mine. Switch stays on when I turn it on. I've only used it once but I tried again it this morning. The switch stayed on but the heater didn't cut in. I think it was too warm outside for it to work.

I think most of those who've posted here about the battery heater switch (in Settings) find they cannot activate this because as soon as the icon is moved to On it immediately reverts to Off.

@EVsince2016 do you know whether James at Cleverley has the pre- or post-facelift version of the MG5? I'm assuming it's the pre. In which case he is experiencing the exact opposite of what most of us are seeing! Has a software update changed this feature? (My MG5 was new in March 22 and has not yet had any updates installed.)

As I suggested earlier, something is wrong here, somewhere!
He has a late 2021 pre-facelift similar age to mine.

I'm Pre-facelift 5LR Exclusive (bought sept '21) with the KERS update (and the intelligent speed assist that crashes when it sees a 20MPH sign).
Battery heater switches back off after a second or so. (after trying this morning). Pretty sure it didn't do that when the car was new.

Bear in mind though as well that a lot of heat is generated in the battery when rapid charging. My understanding is that it would need active cooling to keep it at optimum temp, not heating (at least most of the time in the UK)

I think I may need to eat my words...!!

When I went out to the car earlier today I quite deliberately had another look at the "battery heater" settings option. It was then I realised it is listed as "Battery heater always on", with the On/Off choice.

IOW, I think I have been making a very silly mistake; the choice is clearly (I see now) whether to have that heating always on or not, not whether to have it on or off at all! So I now believe the heater is On when needed by the car.

And then, just to compound my embarrassment, moving the switch to On, it stayed On!! I subsequently switched it Off and then On and then Off again, and the setting stuck! (It's now Off since I don't think I need it always On!)

🫢🫢

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom