Binding Trophy Connect to iSMART app

All sorted. The car was still bound to the dealer's phone. Once he had un-bound his phone, the option appeared on my user menu to 'connect car' which started the process as advertised. In the interim, I did not find a way of un-binding the dealer's phone from the car except for the generic factory reset (which I didn't want to do). So, if anyone's buying a used connect car, ensure that the previous owner has unbound their phone from the car.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Yes, and there was no error message or the like telling me the car was bound to another phone, or could not be bound to a further phone. As someone else says, every time you get a new phone, do you have to remember to unbind the old one first?! What if your phone is broken and you can't unbind it. A point MG needs to address I think.

All sorted. The car was still bound to the dealer's phone. Once he had un-bound his phone, the option appeared on my user menu to 'connect car' which started the process as advertised.
Did you actually need to return the car back to the dealer, in order for him / her to psychically unbind the car ?.
Or is there a facility on the original person’s phone to unbind from the car, which will then allow another person to bind to the car with another phone.
Surely common sense says it must be this way ?.
Bit of a ball ache if you sell the car privately or put it through a auction and then the person who bought the car is unable to contact you to unbind the car for data protection reasons.
I think the master factory reset button must clear / wipe all stored data ( phone numbers / Sat Nav requests etc ) from the head unit ?.

Did you actually need to return the car back to the dealer, in order for him / her to psychically unbind the car ?.
Or is there a facility on the original person’s phone to unbind from the car, which will then allow another person to bind to the car with another phone.
Surely common sense says it must be this way ?.
Bit of a ball ache if you sell the car privately or put it through a auction and then the person who bought the car is unable to contact you to unbind the car for data protection reasons.
I think the master factory reset button must clear / wipe all stored data ( phone numbers / Sat Nav requests etc ) from the head unit ?.
There has to be some kind of reset in the vehicle. Last thing you want is someone else's gubbins stored in the car and inability to bind it. And as mentioned above, you could simply lose your phone.

Maybe there's an easy solution, but unfortunately I didn't find anything in the infotainment manual when it comes to iSmart. Couldn't find an iSmart user guide either, unless I'm looking in the wrong places...?

He was able to unbind his phone through his iSmart app. He said it wasn't something I could do at my end, so perhaps there isn't a way for the new owner to do it (I certainly couldn't find one anyway).

@Ulmus Lamb said that he did manage to find a “Master Reset” button in the menu of the head unit.
My guess is that pressing this would default the car back to the original factory settings, wiping all the stored info from the memory.
Otherwise, what is the point of putting the reset facility in there ?.
There has to be a fall back plan of wiping the unit clear of another persons details etc.
Unbinding the phone by the previous user is likely to be the easiest option, but there has to be a second back up facility somehow.

@Ulmus Lamb said that he did manage to find a “Master Reset” button in the menu of the head unit.
My guess is that pressing this would default the car back to the original factory settings, wiping all the stored info from the memory.
There has to be a fall back plan of wiping the unit clear of another persons details etc.
Unbinding the phone by the previous user is likely to be the easiest option, but there has to be a second back up facility somehow.
The Kona has a reset button which you push the end of a pen into. It wipes all your stored data ready for a new owner to put their own data in.

Most cars have some way to delete all the previous user's personal data, previous and saved sat nav routes etc. It may just be a case of factory reset on the Mgs.

I have followed those instructions, once I’ve scanned the QR code the car logs into my account but does not bind to the app. The app asks me to scan the QR code (again) but there isn’t one.
I bought a demonstrator with 10 miles on the clock. Trophy Connect.
Does your car tell you it is not authenticated and needs to be before you can bind? Mine does
Does the navigation software work? Mine doesn't.
I think the above are the key symptoms of whatever fault is causing my car to not bind. Currently with the dealer pending infotainment screen replacement and if that doesn't work to be followed by a module that sits behind the screen being sent to back to MG for reprogramming.

Does your car tell you it is not authenticated and needs to be before you can bind? Mine does
I think the above are the key symptoms of whatever fault is causing my car to not bind. Currently with the dealer pending infotainment screen replacement and if that doesn't work to be followed by a module that sits behind the screen being sent to back to MG for reprogramming.
That’s a real pity, how come they never picked up the fault on the PDI check ?.

No, I didn't have that problem and the navigation does work, better than my previous car. Sounds like your issue is rather more fundamental.

Does anyone know how to bind my ZS Trophy Connect to the iSMART app? Both my car and my app are logged into my account; however the app does not recognise my car. I go to bind the car to the app, the app asks me to scan the QR code on the car but I cannot find a QR code.
Exactly the problem I am having for a few days. Still can’t see or find QR code anywhere

Exactly the problem I am having for a few days. Still can’t see or find QR code anywhere
Where are you looking? It's in different places depending on whether the car is non-connect or connect version. Is it that you just can't locate it, or it's not appearing where it should be?

Also, someone else had an issue finding the QR code, but was able to work out a solution. Worth checking this post/thread to see if it helps you:
I've figured it out for anyone who has the same issue, you have to first activate the vehicle before you can connect to the app, this can be done in the settings menu of the car.

this may help
It’s pretty much certain that all of the I-Connect Demo models, would have been paired to one of the sales team, prior to showing off the features to customers !.
There must be a way of unbinding this persons phone from the car surely ?.
It is my understanding that only one phone can be attached to the car at any one time.
There must be a facility in the head unit to do this ?.
What if the owner upgrades / replaces his or her phone ?.

If I'd read your sidebar sooner & noted the car there, I would've said not to waste time on this as the current MG5 does not have iSmart capability. Problem solved 🥳

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom