Birmingham Bullring Chargers

Knuttt

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi everyone, bit of a stretch this but has anyone used the Podpoint Chargers in the Bullring car park?
there’s a whole bunch of 7kw and 11kw chargers in the lower parking area.

Went there today through terrible traffic (much to the wife’s annoyance) but we’re able to find an empty charging bay.

Got plugged in and fired up the podpoint app only to find no connection. Tried both our phones which had 4/5g reception but no data was coming through…

Tried when we got outside but the charge point was reading and occupied and would engage charger. How does it work with no signal, there were lots of cars plugged in so something must work…

Didn’t need the charge thankfully but quite frustrating and Mrs Knutt was super unimpressed.

Andy

I've used these chargers on a little shopping trip earlier this year.
Like all podpoint "slow" chargers, you have 15mins to confirm charge in the app once plug in, it still charges in that 15mins, but after 15mins it cuts out. I was able to confirm charge once I got to the lifts. I believe the chargers are hardwired into an Internet connection, so as long as you can get signal within 15mins, you will be fine.

That’s what we were hoping but when we finally got signal, and connected to the point, it said it was charging and would allow us to “confirm charge“. 😡

I'm off into Brum next week shopping and a show. What are the bullring parking charges do you remember? Are the congestion charges automatically (free for EV?) taken or do you need to login as well.

I wouldn't recommend the Bullring car park for long stay we paid £5.50 for 2 hours and we weren't even able to charge the car up!

You can check your vehicle eligibility here (Drive in a clean air zone) but my MG5 is exempt as I'm sure they all are.

To my surprise most modern cars are Clean Air Exempt. My son still has a 1.6 Diesel Golf 2016 and his car is exempt. There is no need to register this is a Clean Air Zone not a Congestion Charge Zone

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom