• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Blending tinted windows back to front in MG4

Good video, there was me thinking the tint film was applied to the inside of the glass!
I think they cut the film to size on the outside before installing it on the inside but I agree it looks like they're applying it on the outside but the video keeps cutting away at the wrong moment.

I think they cut the film to size on the outside before installing it on the inside but I agree it looks like they're applying it on the outside but the video keeps cutting away at the wrong moment.
Exactly wright, the guy that did my SE LR even took the plastic covers off the tailgate to get the template easier than trying to do it upside down on the inside.

Yeah - Clean the outside of the glass and then apply the film to the outside of the glass with a soapy solution, then trim the film to the shape of the glass ( leaving a little extra at the bottom ) then remove the film and refit the trimmed film on the inside of the glass and lay off the film to extract most of the soapy solution.

Nice video, it's a shame your blending idea didn't go to plan.
I was wondering how they might do that.

Why do you think it didn’t go to plan?

How could it have gone any better?
I thought you meant you wanted to go from zero to full tint gradually, which is what I took as "blending" means, rather than a step halfway. ;)

The gradual increase in the strength of tint, on each separate side glass, results in a better graduated transition when viewing the car from the side.
I had my previous ZS EV Gen1 fairly strongly tinted from the “B” pillar back.
As we know the Gen1 offers no factory tint and therefore no UV / heat protection in the cabin.
Dark tinting from the “B” pillar back is a big improvement, however when viewing the car from the side, it almost gives the impression it is two cars stick together 🤣.
This because there is no gradual transition stage.
it’s clear glass in the front doors, then “Bam” heavy tint right alongside it in the rear door glass !.
It’s a bit of a brutal cut off in my mind.
To this end, when we upgraded to the Gen 2 model, it did come with a very slight factory tint.
It was okay ( ish ) for the front side glass, but did not offer enough protection to the rear side windows and rear windscreen IMO.
I used the same tint guy for both cars and said I wanted the tint to be more gradual this time around.
He did the rear screen with a heavy tint, then stepped it down in the rear side windows.
The front side windows were left in the factory tint.
I was really pleased with the results, what ever angle you view the car, it just looks right somehow 👍.
I think it gives the best compromise of protection without any legal complications.
The tint guy I used has been tinting glass for over 20 years and refuses to tint any glass forward of the “B” post.
It had been a policy he will not deviate from.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 470 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 79 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 45 7.6%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back