BMS mid 2020 update

Hi Mike, I have just taken delivery 6 weeks back in September 2020, of a new ZS EV Exclusive bought from Perrys in Preston. The vehicle has the Comfort 2 update, but after checking it doesn’t have the BMS 2 update so I am certain it wont have the HVB Fuse one either which kind of worries me. Perrys Service in Preston have not been very helpful at all when I asked them two weeks ago if the pre-delivery inspection contained the above updates or not. They told me not to believe everything you read on forums which I found very insulting as your review is perfect evidence that my brand new car hadn’t had these updates done before delivery. Can I kindly ask you how much approx it cost to have another dealer like Chorley MG do these updates? By the way, I have taken my Service Contract out with Chorley MG as I don’t trust Perrys in Preston after their rude comments.

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your challenges.
the BMS update and the HV Fuse update are service items and are covered under warranty. You should not have to pay for them.

@AndyNWuk I've had a similar experience with Perrys Preston, I've made two phone calls to arrange for the warrantied software updates, still waiting for a call back from both times! Each call it felt like they didn't understand what I was requesting and they would call me back

On one of the calls (albeit through to Perrys call center) they claimed they weren't a dealership for MG, when pointed out that they were in fact a MG dealer, the response was "ohh, we must be opening up next month", considering I went for a test drive last week its definitely open!🤦‍♂️

Give Chorley Group MG (Burnley) service department a call, I dealt with Charlie, they were fully conversant with the updates, booked in for 0830 all done by 1000. The updates are free of charge, MG reimburse the dealership as the updates are covered under warranty

I live 5 miles from Perrys Preston, but going forward, I will be using Chorley Group MG (Burnley) for servicing or car related issues.

Does the HVB fuse update apply to all, I though it was a certain run of VIN numbers that were affected ?

You are correct
I am collecting my new ZS EV next week and am also interested in this, so which part is @Kithmo correct about, all or some ?

Also.... Does anyone know if all of these updates, the Comfort 2, BMS and HV fuse have been installed at the factory now or is it still down to the dealer to do as part of the PDI, for a car that was delivered to the dealer last week ?

Last edited:
I am collecting my new ZS EV next week and am also interested in this, so which part is @Kithmo correct about, all or some ?

Also.... Does anyone know if all of these updates, the Comfort 2, BMS and HV fuse have been installed at the factory now or is it still down to the dealer to do as part of the PDI, for a car that was delivered to the dealer last week ?
I have edited my above post.... only certain vin numbers affected.

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your challenges.
the BMS update and the HV Fuse update are service items and are covered under warranty. You should not have to pay for them.
I saw your video on U Tube and since seeing it I have been in touch with my Dealer to have this update done. I was a bit surprised as my car had been back to the dealership just the other week for its 2 month first check and they did not do the update then and according to the photo of the service bulletin showing its date it should have actually been done before picking the vehicle up from new.

Seen your video and others re unlocked charging, Something MG only knows why they did this setup. We had our car end of September and could see the Comfort 2 was done but charged only when locked, made us very annoyed.
Contact with the dealer sales was responded with "that what it is", as from MG action notification. However, spoke again with service who also said there is no such updates for the BMS, we convinced him that we had videos of unlocked cars charging and they agreed to look into it after speaking to "the Manager".
Taken to the dealer today and had a piece of paper waved of the latest action point of "locked charging only" by reception. However service said they would look into it. Apparently they spoke to the MG Tech dept and behold yes there is an update which was then sent to them late this afternoon, but their computer was now down (heard this computer reason a few time on here) so should be updated tomorrow.

Give them due praise at least the service guys dug in and got/getting the update. It should have been done before delivery but if they did not know of course it would not get done.
I can't understand why these are not sent to all dealers to instigate. I worked at Ford for years and all dealers got updates etc, if only they read and actioned them!

Edit:14 11 20
All done yesterday without any bother or issues, so far. Had curtesy car while the update was being done.
All in all good service from Perkins in Rayne.
Makes me feel more confident about my order for the MG5 in March.

Edit: 17 11 20
Bit of a BIG Foopar here, apparently my wife did not check it all worked correctly when she picked it up and was not shown that it now works.
Well, it des not work, tried yesterday and today working with combinations of attach/lock/door open/door closed/key or no key etc.
Contacted Perkins today and they are contacting the "Tech Dept" so awaiting tomorrow for an answer.
Not totally blaming the dealer, but they should have checked the operation before releasing the vehicle back to us.
This MG tech dept or what/whoever updates the dealers need a kick up the ....... in the right direction to inform their dealerships and give professional support. The backroom support of MG is a total mess.

Last edited:
Hi all,

ive just uploaded a video about the latest BMS update

Here is an interesting one.

In my past posts, most of you will know that I have been waiting for my Dealer - Perry's of Preston to sort out the BMS 2020 and HVB Fuse Updates as these should have been done during the Pre-delvery checks.

Evidently problems existed at Perrys in Preston not having the latest MG updates installed on their SIP's computer system, but good news is that this has now all been brought up to date this last week, so I can now get my ZS EV Updated at long last so you would think.

Yesterday, I had a long conversation with their head of After Sales guy who was very very helpful and explained that for some strange reason, my car bought at the end of September came with the Comfort 2 software already installed, BUT he says according to the VIN Number of my vehicle, my car isn't on the list for any updates to be done which I find very strange, as it certainly does not have the BMS 2020 update as no way can I charge the car while unlocked.

I sent him a link to Mikes video on You Tube, which clearly explains this operation and he agrees that my car must have "slipped through the net" somehow.

The problem they have, is that unless my cars VIN Number is on the list of cars requiring the update, they can't claim for the job from MG unless they get authorisation first.

Perrys have agreed to take my car in on Friday of next week for a full day to check through the software and double check that everything has been done using their now up to date SIP's system.

If they find anything that hasn't been done, they will argue the fact with MG Motors UK to get it sorted for me.

So hopefully after next Friday I should be a Happy Bunny at long last and will keep you posted.

From all this, it seems to me that dealers are not doing certain updates because VIN Codes for certain cars have not been included in the dealership update listing.

On another front, he also explained that the VIN Code DOES NOT contain the date of manufacture at all.

My VIN Code for example: SDPW7CB3FLZ132543 he explained was broken down as follows:

SDP = MG Motors
W = Type of Vehicle
7C =- Body Style
B3 = Exclusive
F = Electric
LZ = I think this was Factory of assembly
Other remaining numbers = Serial Number

Hope this helps

Andy

Hi all,

ive just uploaded a video about the latest BMS update

I have just had my car into the dealer to have all updates applied as I felt that the updates had not been applied before I collected the car, the comfort 2 update had been done but not the BMS. It was in today and had a number of updates done but they were very sketchy on details. I got it home over the past hour and found the car still would not charge with doors unlocked. I locked the car and the charging started. I then unlocked the doors from inside and left them unlocked after getting out and the car is still charging with car unlocked, so my one still won’t start charging unless doors are locked to start with, you didn’t seem to do this? So I am assuming my car still has not had this BMS update done or not to same spec as yours. As yet I do not know if the delayed charging will work.

I have just had my car into the dealer to have all updates applied as I felt that the updates had not been applied before I collected the car, the comfort 2 update had been done but not the BMS. It was in today and had a number of updates done but they were very sketchy on details. I got it home over the past hour and found the car still would not charge with doors unlocked. I locked the car and the charging started. I then unlocked the doors from inside and left them unlocked after getting out and the car is still charging with car unlocked, so my one still won’t start charging unless doors are locked to start with, you didn’t seem to do this? So I am assuming my car still has not had this BMS update done or not to same spec as yours. As yet I do not know if the delayed charging will work.
Just an update on my earlier post, I have now tried the delayed charging and it does work fine now with no issue. My only issue is in comparison to Mikes car my one still needs to be locked to initially start the charge even though I can open the car after starting the charge and leave the car open and it will continue to charge??

Strangely enough after reading Electrified's post and the one from Mike, I tried the locking of the car from both inside and outside and then unlocked the car and every time it cancelled the charging.

However, what I did discover, was that after locking the car with the kefob, the charging starts, then walk completely away from the car for a couple of minutes and return with the fob and using the door handle buttons to open the car, it continued to charge while unlocked.

As previously mentioned in my posts, I recently took my car into my dealer for the BMS 2020 update and they told me my cars VIN Number was not on the list.

After contacting MG UK, the dealer was informed that although they could not install the BMS 2020 update to my car, there was a similar update that would do the same thing i.e. allowing the car to charge while unlocked.

This update certainly does not operate so flawlessly like the one Mike had done to his vehicle as shown in the video above, but it seems to be more of a workaround to help resolve the issue on some vehicles.

This again tells me that these cars are released with different software installed which I assume is why some vehicles VIN Numbers are missing from the MG UK dealer updates list.

Still no news from MG UK confirming that my car has the HVB Fuse update or not, my dealer keeps chasing them, but they seem so slow at answering their questions.

Hello
Bought my ZS EV in September, and installed Rolec untethered wall pod.
Latest BMS update applied last week (car will now charge whilst unlocked) but I still cannot get scheduled charging to work.
Spoke to EV Energy at length. They have switched off the trickle charge function, but my car still starts charging as soon as its plugged into the charger. How so?
My Octopus off peak cheap tariff starts at 00.30, so obviously I have enabled smart charging on the App. After trying various different sequences of plugging in, locking the car, unlocking, unplugging etc etc, I did get to the point where the car did not start charging immediately, so all looked promising. But then the scheduled charge did not start at 00.30. The App moved the scheduled charge on by 30 mins to 01.00. So presumably the BMS had gone to sleep - despite the fact that I plugged in less than 10 hours previously.
What is going on?
1. If trickle charging is switched off at EV Energy, and smart charging is scheduled - how can the car start charging immediately?
2. Is the sleep time with the latest BMS software actually 10 hours - maybe its less?
Hope someone out there can help as its driving me nuts!!

Hello
Bought my ZS EV in September, and installed Rolec untethered wall pod.
Latest BMS update applied last week (car will now charge whilst unlocked) but I still cannot get scheduled charging to work.
Spoke to EV Energy at length. They have switched off the trickle charge function, but my car still starts charging as soon as its plugged into the charger. How so?
My Octopus off peak cheap tariff starts at 00.30, so obviously I have enabled smart charging on the App. After trying various different sequences of plugging in, locking the car, unlocking, unplugging etc etc, I did get to the point where the car did not start charging immediately, so all looked promising. But then the scheduled charge did not start at 00.30. The App moved the scheduled charge on by 30 mins to 01.00. So presumably the BMS had gone to sleep - despite the fact that I plugged in less than 10 hours previously.
What is going on?
1. If trickle charging is switched off at EV Energy, and smart charging is scheduled - how can the car start charging immediately?
2. Is the sleep time with the latest BMS software actually 10 hours - maybe its less?
Hope someone out there can help as its driving me nuts!!
If the charger is a little too far away from you modem it could be a wifi issue, Mine is on a detached garage 11mtr away from the house and I have a wifi extender in the nearest room still not great.
Most if not all need a good signal, they can get an intermittent signal sometimes depends on a number of things and appear to work but they really will need a strong signal.
Of course as they are powered up they will work when you plug in just as a stand alone charger.

I have seen that there is now a armoured power cable that has an internet wire encased, obviously will need a connection at the house end. That would solve the distance problem. Oh, how I wish I had that fitted at the the time of installation but I think its quite new. Not sure of the cost but for 11mtr might be worth replacing for me.

Last edited:
Depending on how straight your cable runs, it may be possible to attach a new one, to the end of the current one and pull it through....with minimum disruption? Just a thought.

If the charger is a little too far away from you modem it could be a wifi issue, Mine is on a detached garage 11mtr away from the house and I have a wifi extender in the nearest room still not great.
Most if not all need a good signal, they can get an intermittent signal sometimes depends on a number of things and appear to work but they really will need a strong signal.
Of course as they are powered up they will work when you plug in just as a stand alone charger.

I have seen that there is now a armoured power cable that has an internet wire encased, obviously will need a connection at the house end. That would solve the distance problem. Oh, how I wish I had that fitted at the the time of installation but I think its quite new. Not sure of the cost but for 11mtr might be worth replacing for me.
As far as I am aware, the Rolec charger uses its own 3G connection rather than wifi to a LAN. Rolec and EV Energy both confirm that my chargepoint has a good signal...........

Yep, Rolec uses an in-built SIM to it's signal, not wifi. Sorry I can't help more than that.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom