• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Boot light

gonzoB

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all.

After being inspired by others here to install a LED strip light around the sunroof. I bought some white LED strip and fitted it. It worked really well.

The next project was the boot. So, I used the left-over strip light and made this:

boot-light3.jpg

The strip light is stuck to an aluminium angle, which is pop-riveted to the parcel shelf. The angle side is facing toward the boot opening so that the LEDs are hidden, and they don't blind you.

I tapped into the boot light circuit and installed a socket so that the parcel shelf can be removed if necessary:

boot-light2.jpg

The final result looks like this:

boot-light1.jpg

It's like daylight!

Gonzo

That looks very interesting....but my parcel shelf is in and out seveat times a week, as i transport our 'family' Greyhound around. I wonder how long it would take me to rip the plug out? :oops:

Hi all.

After being inspired by others here to install a LED strip light around the sunroof. I bought some white LED strip and fitted it. It worked really well.

The next project was the boot. So, I used the left-over strip light and made this:

boot-light3.jpg

The strip light is stuck to an aluminium angle, which is pop-riveted to the parcel shelf. The angle side is facing toward the boot opening so that the LEDs are hidden, and they don't blind you.

I tapped into the boot light circuit and installed a socket so that the parcel shelf can be removed if necessary:

boot-light2.jpg

The final result looks like this:

boot-light1.jpg

It's like daylight!

Gonzo
Certainly will draw attention....in carparks......at night......😳

Where is the Switch that activates the oem boot light when the tailgate is opened, does anyone know?

@Popsie5859, the hook for the charging cable is simply a pressed steel hook from the local hardware store. They're used for hanging up brooms, etc. There are two screws (m5, IIRC) on the side of the plastic boot lining in that area - I unscrewed them, got longer ones, and attached a strip of 40mmx20mm pine using those screw holes. I then screwed the hook to the strip of timber. It's completely removable with no damage to the liner. I wanted to have the cable easily accessible without having to lift the floor of the boot.

I think the light has a switch in the tailgate lock mechanism. As soon as you open the catch, the light goes on.

Gonzo

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom