Brake Squeal

SteveP

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I’ve had my ZSEV for nearly 3 weeks now but have an annoying squeal from the brakes but only in reverse, I do understand that occasionally new breaks need to bed in but I would of thought that by now it would of sorted itself out, I have had 2 brand new cars over the last couple of years and never had this problem, anyone else had this? and if so how long did it take to go away? Thanks

I have the same on my MG5 horrible squeal in reverse only. Maybe some bedding in required. Over 2000 miles done but I use level 3 regen and only light braking. Must try some heavier braking, regen off and se if that cures it.

I have the same on my MG5 horrible squeal in reverse only. Maybe some bedding in required. Over 2000 miles done but I use level 3 regen and only light braking. Must try some heavier braking, regen off and se if that cures it.
I must admit I normally use 2 or 3 so maybe try the same, thanks 😊

It still have squeal noise after 8k drove in city. Thinking to book in to check at 20k service at MG service center.

I tried the “bedding in” today and seems to have worked.
I took the KERS off and braked hard a good few times from a reasonable speed.
will see tomorrow morning but for now no squeal going astern…..

German MG ZS EV owner here. I have the same problem. Only in reversed.. Contacted the dealership and when I get an appointment they will look after it.

German MG ZS EV owner here. I have the same problem. Only in reversed.. Contacted the dealership and when I get an appointment they will look after it.
Try bedding them in. It might save the visit to the dealership. Good luck

Let me know how it goes 👍 Where in Germany are you? I have friends in Hanover, Sarstedt and Minden. We are planning a trip maybe later this year if not definitely next year, how easy and costly is it to find public charging?
Nice to meet you

Let me know how it goes 👍 Where in Germany are you? I have friends in Hanover, Sarstedt and Minden. We are planning a trip maybe later this year if not definitely next year, how easy and costly is it to find public charging?
Nice to meet you
Hi
We’re in Scotland on the Moray coast. Charge Place Scotland runs most of the chargers up here. A good deal of them are free, but you need to join and get the card.
There’s a few BP and Shell who ch are 29p / KWh as a visitor using a credit card. I use Zap-Map for distance drive plans.

Hi
We’re in Scotland on the Moray coast. Charge Place Scotland runs most of the chargers up here. A good deal of them are free, but you need to join and get the card.
There’s a few BP and Shell who ch are 29p / KWh as a visitor using a credit card. I use Zap-Map for distance drive plans.
I’ve never been to Scotland but it is always somewhere I’ve wanted to go.

Well the ‘bedding in’ didn’t last long! Noise has started again although not as bad. Pretty sure it’s nothing safety related - in fact the opposite! It’s the new “Enhanced pedestrian warning system”. EPWS Comes included with selected MG’s.

Hi, Just things to consider: when brakes, especially discbrakes, are not frequently used they tend to rust a bit. This causes a slightly rough contactsurface. Maybe that causes a vibration which causes the sound when driving backwards? Makes sence to me, since the sound returned after some time, hence rusty disks again. I'm guessing it are the rear brakes making the sound?

Absolutely agree, except we’re talking brand new vehicles with no signs of even the slightest rust on the discs. The rear discs are most likely as that’s the park brake with a patch of interactivity between pad and disc. Mine is garaged every night but still squeals when reversed out. Hey Ho bedding in works for a while at least.

I put it down to fine rust due to low use. All my vehicles have had this - four and two wheeled. Yes, there is a bedding in period for new brakes but without use the disc surface, and over time the edge, will accumulate rust. Braking will get rid of it, but pad contamination is a whole other debate! Also, pads contacting the disc will rust at the contact point and often, in my experience, leaves more surface rust than the rest of the disc. If it's this, you may hear a pop as the contact point between pad and disc is broken when you drive off, and then a rhythmic rubbing sound until the rust is worn away. All of this assumes, of course, there is no foreign material in the brake system causing problems.

New vehicle are as prone to this as used ones in my experience. I think you'd have to have a really, really dry environment for the discs not to accumulate rust.

Back in 1974 I had a very troublesome Renault 10 with disc brakes all round that had a persistent brake squeal, the car dealer I bought it from (non Renault) tried everything, he even replaced the new pads that were already in with new Renault branded ones etc. no joy. In the end I gave up pestering him as I felt sorry for him.
I let my brother in law, who was a qualified HGV fitter, look at it. It turned out that the guy who had fitted the new pads it already had in, had put the anti squeal shims in wrong and the dealers mechanic, not familiar with the set up, had just put the new ones, that came with the Renault pads, in the same way as the old ones came out. The BIL changed them round and put a bit of Coppaslip on the backs of the pads and all was well.
I think a bit of Coppaslip on the backs of the pads would cure the MG5's squeal, but I can't see modern mechanics or dealers actually doing this, even at a pad change, it's too old school for them.

Back in 1974 I had a very troublesome Renault 10 with disc brakes all round that had a persistent brake squeal, the car dealer I bought it from (non Renault) tried everything, he even replaced the new pads that were already in with new Renault branded ones etc. no joy. In the end I gave up pestering him as I felt sorry for him.
I let my brother in law, who was a qualified HGV fitter, look at it. It turned out that the guy who had fitted the new pads it already had in, had put the anti squeal shims in wrong and the dealers mechanic, not familiar with the set up, had just put the new ones, that came with the Renault pads, in the same way as the old ones came out. The BIL changed them round and put a bit of Coppaslip on the backs of the pads and all was well.
I think a bit of Coppaslip on the backs of the pads would cure the MG5's squeal, but I can't see modern mechanics or dealers actually doing this, even at a pad change, it's too old school for them.
I don’t think modern brakes have shims anymore, there is a type of padding on the back of new discs that does away with them

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom