• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Brakes not breaks

If it were a CV with a typo, I would take a note. If it was instructions on carrying our cardiac surgery I would be concerned.

As its a forum and if what was being asked was clear I would let it go.

Language develops over time. I remember when canceling was lavishly enlarged with two 'L' and not one. Who is to say we won't be laughing at someone who writes 'brake' in ten years from now?

Reality is, if someone wants their car to break I don't care as long as I don't have to pay to have it mended.

PS. Anyone who responds to this calling me a twit; I will know its a typo.

2FB8061F-CFC6-4C3E-9031-D9184A49DB0F.jpeg

Stick with tried and trusted technology I say 🙃

If it were a CV with a typo, I would take a note. If it was instructions on carrying our cardiac surgery I would be concerned.

Language develops over time. I remember when canceling was lavishly enlarged with two 'L' and not one. Who is to say we won't be laughing at someone who writes 'brake' in ten years from now?

Reality is, if someone wants their car to break I don't care as long as I don't have to pay to have it mended.

No you are not a twit. :) and agree that language changes, evolves.

However spelling hardly ever changes, canceling is the American version of British cancelling, same as color and colour. I wouldn't use either canceling or color in Britain. Probably would in the U.S. so as not to confuse the good folks there.

'Typos' are either the failure to check your spelling once written to correct any typos, or simply not recognising that you have used the wrong word that has a completely different meaning.

Cancelling still has 2 L’s in actual English, just saying!

Cancelling still has 2 L’s in actual English, just saying!
I thought both were correct but the single L more common in US english and the double in english english.

I have read documents from both sources with each spelling so guessed it was interchangeable. Happy to bow to someone more knowledgeable, or is that knowledgeablle? :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom