Brand Image

Alb

Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Use of the MG brand outside of China is a key part of the SAIC Motor Corporation's sales strategy but how critical was that brand identity to you at purchase time? Would you have still bought your car if it was branded as a Roewe for example and do you think the badge alone has an effect on depreciation rate and resale value?

Overall, it's a 'known' brand, which does count for something. When I tell someone I've ordered and MG5 they query the choice or get into conversations relating to china/build quality etc.

Would I go out and buy a BRD equivalent or something with the SAIC brand, probably not until it was established and recognised, it does hurt resale.

Interesting question. Over the years I have owned many 'proper' MGs.. My first was a TA Tickford in '66/67, an MGA convertsble, and later an A coupe, a BGT, ZA Magnette, a VA, aTF, and a TD which I kept for 30 years.

More recently my allegiance has turned to Lotus and Caterham and now Morgan so the fact that I now have an MG back in my garage is nice, but wasn't the main reason for the purchase. however buying Roewe may have stopped me. That name may work in China, but I really don't feel it means much in the UK, I mean, how do you even pronounce it?

So on balance, better to have a name which means something, perhaps they should have used the traditional Magnette model designation for the 3 & 5? Like they have for the SUVs.

Maybe they could name the forthcoming sports car the MG D, the next in the sequence after MGA, MGB, MGC etc. and create the halo with it.

For me MG means Morris Garages an important and prestigious brand in UK car manufacture. The fact a Chinese company had the foresight to buy and use it certainly influenced my decision to buy one. Even though my car was made in China, which could be looked on as a negative, the badge balances that out. Based on my first 6 months of ownership I think the overall feel, drive and performance of the car would put a smile on the face of some of those original MG designers and assembly workers.

I would rather they hadn’t reused a legacy brand - MG, to me, means vintage roadsters from an era before my time as well as ‘hot’ turbo versions of the mainstream Rover models in the late 80’s.

Although familiar, the brand didn’t (to my knowledge) affect my purchasing decision.

I don't have any long term allegiance to the badge and I've never previously owned an MG (albeit I did have a great fondness for the old Midget). My purchase decision was based purely on the cost and capability of the car so I'd have gone ahead regardless of the name on the front.

When I get the all famous ‘ it’s made in China’ I point out that what isn’t these days. I also point out that many of the other well known brands including German brands all have components fitted that are made in China! I believe it is not just brand image but quality of build compared with value for money that is key here. For me yes having the MG brand is a plus but not the overriding factor. As someone mentioned before the Roewe name I think for me may have been a slight issue but not a deal breaker. I even bought DAEWOO Leganza lovely car well built good customer service.

For me it wasn't much of an influence however in India MG is a massive and popular brand.
It did help that its close to one of my work's sites. I can always get a lift in when I drop the car off.

Overall, it's a 'known' brand, which does count for something. When I tell someone I've ordered and MG5 they query the choice or get into conversations relating to china/build quality etc.
I would doubt that few in my family would be that aware of the fact that MG is now a wholly Chinese owned brand, a few may have been familiar of it in its BL days. Not that that was anything to be proud of in its final years and now to most it would be a "new" manufacturer.

Nor would they understand my fascination of the 6R4

I would doubt that few in my family would be that aware of the fact that MG is now a wholly Chinese owned brand, a few may have been familiar of it in its BL days. Not that that was anything to be proud of in its final years and now to most it would be a "new" manufacturer.

Nor would they understand my fascination of the 6R4
I do believe it was called an MG METRO 6R4
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

It had about as much to do with the metro as my Papermate pen had to do with the moon landings.

However it WAS about brand image as it was an "MG Metro" rather than an Austin

I had the MG TF Trophy 160.

An electric version of that would be very popular IMHO.

Use of the MG brand outside of China is a key part of the SAIC Motor Corporation's sales strategy but how critical was that brand identity to you at purchase time? Would you have still bought your car if it was branded as a Roewe for example and do you think the badge alone has an effect on depreciation rate and resale value?
to be brutally honest if the MG was branded Roewe, i would never look at it, MG has heritage and history in the UK, Roewe has neither i am aware of

brand image to me means the following things
1:- high end brands attract badge snobs like audi / bmw / Tesla
2:- quality of product
3;- quality / impression of the dealer experience

having owned skoda's at the very early stages of ownership by VAG and had to put up with jokes and Hyundai's as there image turned the corner i am definitely not a badge snob

i did look at the MG 3 when it first came out but found the quality to be wanting especially in the engine emissions and interior quality

this time around i looked at the 5 EV LR, the thing that let it down was old tech (but i understand there is a refresh due) and lack of euro NCAP crash testing, if you are confident in a product subject it to independent scrutiny?

range was good, styling a little dated but for the price i could over look that, but lack of NACP rating is a red line for me

so looked at the ZS EV LR better level of equipment more modern styling, but efficiency and some of the tech still behind current levels of many other manufacturers

the real deal breaker which comes down to image perception is the dealer network, My impression of the dealer i went to was not good, operating out of a building that looked like an oversize portacabin very few vehicles it didn't look like a long term operation, more like an Arthur Daley job

add to that i find MG don't even run their own service plan scheme so you are at the mercy of the dealers which if the dealer network don't look stable / long term partnerships what does that say about their confidence and could leave you with a service plan with a dealer is no longer an MG dealer?

putting all that aside i am still watching MG grow as the products they have are value for money, thay have definitely improved since my first look, but just needs some more polishing and R&D, the ZS got a good 5 star NCAP rating with lots of safety equipment, if they can do the same to the lower models they have a great future

improve the dealer image / experience, keep the improvements coming in the tech and styling and my next car may well be an MG EV in 3-4 years, this time around i replaced my Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid with an Ioniq Plug-in but still watching MG with interest

brand image to me means the following things
1:- high end brands attract badge snobs like audi / bmw / Tesla
2:- quality of product
3;- quality / impression of the dealer experience

having owned skoda's at the very early stages of ownership by VAG and had to put up with jokes and Hyundai's as there image turned the corner i am definitely not a badge snob

i did look at the MG 3 when it first came out but found the quality to be wanting especially in the engine emissions and interior quality

this time around i looked at the 5 EV LR, the thing that let it down was old tech (but i understand there is a refresh due) and lack of euro NCAP crash testing, if you are confident in a product subject it to independent scrutiny?

range was good, styling a little dated but for the price i could over look that, but lack of NACP rating is a red line for me

so looked at the ZS EV LR better level of equipment more modern styling, but efficiency and some of the tech still behind current levels of many other manufacturers

the real deal breaker which comes down to image perception is the dealer network, My impression of the dealer i went to was not good, operating out of a building that looked like an oversize portacabin very few vehicles it didn't look like a long term operation, more like an Arthur Daley job

add to that i find MG don't even run their own service plan scheme so you are at the mercy of the dealers which if the dealer network don't look stable / long term partnerships what does that say about their confidence and could leave you with a service plan with a dealer is no longer an MG dealer?

putting all that aside i am still watching MG grow as the products they have are value for money, thay have definitely improved since my first look, but just needs some more polishing and R&D, the ZS got a good 5 star NCAP rating with lots of safety equipment, if they can do the same to the lower models they have a great future

improve the dealer image / experience, keep the improvements coming in the tech and styling and my next car may well be an MG EV in 3-4 years, this time around i replaced my Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid with an Ioniq Plug-in but still watching MG with interest
Very good points.

I am extremely lucky having an excellent dealer that handles Skoda and MG only a mile from my home.

They have very knowledgeable staff, both for sales and service.

They also sell Maxus electric vans.

My resurgent interest in the MG brand returned here MG News| SAIC opens new Advanced Design Studio in 2018. I would never have looked at SAIC without seeing the UK connection. Before this my experience of Chinese vehicles was from imported bikes and scooters, all of which seemed to be made off cheese. The alloys were corroded before unpacking the crate and engines so poor they would not last a year.
How times have changed. I am in my third SAIC MG, own a Chinese electric scooter for nipping out to top on wine supplies, (was cheaper than an electric bicycle)! I also have another UK branded Chinese motorbike, a Herald Classic 400, UK engineering company with quality embellishment and styling, Chinese origin bare bones is ShineRay.

Brand names don't mean anything to me these days, I was just looking for the best value BEV the badge was irrelevant.
For other people though, I'm not sure MG was the best choice TBH, there are many loyal Rover fans out there that maybe would have more readily accepted a Rover BEV.

Sentimental story here first as my dad had an mg and had to sell it when I was born as it was not practical. Years later when I had grown up a bit he saw an MGB GT in a garage and I could see he was keen to buy it but again couldn't as is was not practical for his business as he needed the storage space. Ironically I now have a Tesla model s and am selling it and buying the MG5 because it's more practical than the model s for my family needs. My son's not happy as his friends like the fact I have a Tesla but I tell him proudly that my dad had an MG and it was his pride and joy and now my last car will be an MG in memory of him. I've also bought a personal number plate with MG22 and my initials too. So yes the badge I guess means something. Although I would not have bought the car if I wasn't impressed with it. For me it has pretty much everything the Tesla model s has but without the high purchase price and high running costs like the £875 annual service cost that Tesla keep quiet about or the £1000 for tyres each year.

Brand names don't mean anything to me these days, I was just looking for the best value BEV the badge was irrelevant.
For other people though, I'm not sure MG was the best choice TBH, there are many loyal Rover fans out there that maybe would have more readily accepted a Rover BEV.
From wiki The name Roewe originates from SAIC's failure to acquire the Rover brand name from BMW c. 2005 (it was instead sold to Ford in 2006,[3]and the brand is currently owned by Tata Motors). Composed of the Chinese characters Róng and wēi, which roughly mean "glorious power", the name is a transliteration of Rover, although SAIC has stated that it is derived from Löwe, the German word for lion. Loewe, pronounced much like Roewe by Chinese speakers, is also the name of a Spanish manufacturer of luxury leather goods.[4]

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom