Build quality - MG ZS EV

Did we really doubt the build quality, we tested, we drove and we purchased. Would you really buy something that you felt was poorly made even if it was cheaper and you could stretch to a Tesla; but Tesla’s have lots of problems with sensors and battery degradation due to the supercharging unless you charge at home and then you’ll be waiting much longer to charge it up compared to the MG and lots of others with smaller batteries.

Did we really doubt the build quality, we tested, we drove and we purchased. Would you really buy something that you felt was poorly made even if it was cheaper and you could stretch to a Tesla; but Tesla’s have lots of problems with sensors and battery degradation due to the supercharging unless you charge at home and then you’ll be waiting much longer to charge it up compared to the MG and lots of others with smaller batteries.
I think that at this price point, like many have said before, the MG represents excellent value and is not a ‘cheap and cheerful car’. For me time will tell, but if the car stands the test of time and remains reliable then it will prove to be the first economical and reliable EV to bring a small electric suv to the masses at a sensible price point. I have quite a lot of Tesla experience. They are sensational cars in very many ways - but flawed in many others. Bearing mind the cost is well north of twice the MG ZS, the ownership expectations quite rightly that much higher.

Well 12 months in, and mine has been pretty good. 8600 miles travelled.

Issues I have had:

The steering column worked loose after 2000 miles, needed the mounting bolts tightening up.

Vibration from A pillar trim, sorted with application of self adhesive felt sheet behind the trim as needed at points of vibration.

Very recently the outside door handles started to stay out and not return, application of a little silicon spray lubricant in the right place on the handle mechanism sorted this out.

I do get occasional slight trim creaks from various places now, only slight and usually only when cold.

Paintwork and chrome trim is all still perfect, excepting the accessory tailgate chrome trim the car came with, which was cheap junk, so I've removed it, as per my other thread.

Anyone planning to keep long term, beyond the usual 3 or 4 year period would do well to invest in underbody spray on wax protection as the underside isn't well protected at all.

The Tesla comments are interesting to read. Next year I am either buying the MG e-motion, or if it doesn't materialise, a Model S.

Well 12 months in, and mine has been pretty good. 8600 miles travelled.

Issues I have had:

The steering column worked loose after 2000 miles, needed the mounting bolts tightening up.

Vibration from A pillar trim, sorted with application of self adhesive felt sheet behind the trim as needed at points of vibration.

Very recently the outside door handles started to stay out and not return, application of a little silicon spray lubricant in the right place on the handle mechanism sorted this out.

I do get occasional slight trim creaks from various places now, only slight and usually only when cold.

Paintwork and chrome trim is all still perfect, excepting the accessory tailgate chrome trim the car came with, which was cheap junk, so I've removed it, as per my other thread.

Anyone planning to keep long term, beyond the usual 3 or 4 year period would do well to invest in underbody spray on wax protection as the underside isn't well protected at all.

The Tesla comments are interesting to read. Next year I am either buying the MG e-motion, or if it doesn't materialise, a Model S.

Sounds like your coming to the end of ownership soon, waiting for MG e-motion could well be further away then next year :(
Long term for us would be 3 years certainly not 4, we normally change at 12 - 18 months maybe 24 months max "for her in doors". Not sure we know anyone that has had the same car for 3 years though, unless its a classic of course.

Hi, I had my Lexus 450h for seven years after which problems started to arise hence buying the MG. My advice would be to sell any mainstream car before 100K miles and or five years. Especially as safety tech is advancing at such a pace.

One thing to be careful of, and I've been meaning to bring this up is scratching the paintwork, I managed to not only scratch the bonnet in three places, about 10cm each! (Maguires compound wouldn't buff it out), a spot on the windscreen and the rear quarter panel, thanks to using a Karcher Windows Vac to accelerate drying after washing, less haste, less costly repairs! My guess is (and I don't know this for sure, as when I noticed the damage a day later, I couldn't find evidence in the Karcher) it caught a bit of grit between the rubber where it sucks the water in and hence, I now have a nicely scratched car :) Of course this is user error, I should have checked the vac and also kept checking as using, 1 scratch shame on the Karcher 5, shame on me! But it would suggest that the paint is quite thin so just be aware of good car washing habits, and I would avoid car washes as this is exactly the kind of thing that can happen with those big old rollers.

This is not just an MG thing to be fair, my last four cars have all had pretty thin paint (the brand new 2015 Mazda 3 being the worst), I just took my eye of the ball after carefully hand washing the car, and now I have user error remorse!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom