BYD Anyone ?

Gomev

Reaction score
Leeds
Driving
MG5
No I have to correct/ update that fallacy. Not all Allegos had the earlier model “square” steering wheel. Our 1500 cc estate car had the circular unit, the five speed gearbox and the obligatory factory ignored tin worm. I did like the car though and the 1750cc twin carb version of the Maxi we replaced it with. The dark green Maxi couldn’t mask the worm as well as the deep brown Allegro though 😜
Not really a fallacy though, my neighbour had one and as you say, the earlier models did have the square steering wheel. Launched in 1973 Allegro models featured a quartic steering wheel, which was rectangular with rounded sides. The quartic wheel did not take off, and was dropped in 1974 ..............and now lives on in the MG4. :D

BugEyed

Reaction score
Worcester
Driving
MG4
My Father had a quartic steering wheel on one of his Rover SD1. The large central impact absorbing pad (before the days of airbags) used to fall of regularly.....

Bryan Flanagan

Reaction score
Whakatane, New Zealand
Driving
MG HS PHEV
I'm surprised that BYD haven't 'done a SAIC' and purchased the naming rights to an old brand....

Sunbeam? Or maybe even Riley?

Of course they could throw loads of money at Tata and buy the Rover name....
In China the BYD Atto 3 is called Yuan Plus. I rather prefer the Yuan name (that's the name of oe of China's ancestral ruling lineages). Atto means, well, what? I don't think that China needs to westernise many of their domestic names.

chowbenter

Reaction score
Bolton
Driving
MG ZS EV

WonkoTheSaneUK

Reaction score
North Wales
Driving
Not an MG
"British auto dealer Pendragon is in advanced discussions with BYD to be its U.K. launch partner as China’s biggest electric-vehicle maker enters the market later this year."
We won't see the Pendragon name on dealerships. They trade as both Evans Halshaw and Stratsone.

BugEyed

Reaction score
Worcester
Driving
MG4
Two issues:
  • Advanced discussions means nothing signed yet
  • They currently have very few EV brands in their garages, so have little experience to offer. The UK head office will need to be very strong - not easy to create from scratch as MG demonstrates
It doesn't bode well for a launch soon.

Harry 17

Reaction score
Notts
Driving
MG4
Two issues:
  • Advanced discussions means nothing signed yet
  • They currently have very few EV brands in their garages, so have little experience to offer. The UK head office will need to be very strong - not easy to create from scratch as MG demonstrates
It doesn't bode well for a launch soon.
I agree entirely with that. One thing I will say, IMO, I really like the Atto 3, if the price point is equal to the MG4 in the UK, this is a car I would seriously consider, when my MG4 is ready for being moved on.

this will be at least three years even if I upgrade to the extended range next year.

The summer range of the Trophy LR is fine for me with Business / social travel. I am a little concerned re: winter range, guess proof will be in the pudding.

BugEyed

Reaction score
Worcester
Driving
MG4
Ultimately it's a combination of price point and service that matter. In 3 years time both will be clearer for BYD and Ora, although the latter isn't looking great so far as a new to the UK brand.

WonkoTheSaneUK

Reaction score
North Wales
Driving
Not an MG
Ultimately it's a combination of price point and service that matter. In 3 years time both will be clearer for BYD and Ora, although the latter isn't looking great so far as a new to the UK brand.
Ora tweeted yesterday that their first batch of UK-spec cars has landed.

LukeLukeLuke30

Standard Member
Reaction score
Swanley
Driving
Not an MG
BYD are making an announcement at 10am BST for their entry to the European market.

They will announce prices and their lineup, Which by the looks of it is the Atto 3, Han & Tang, sadly the latter two won’t make an appearance in the UK.

The Aussies have already taken delivery of the Atto 3, and by the looks of the reviews it’s very positive.

The only downside is that the distributor has shafted them when it comes to warranty.

LukeLukeLuke30

Standard Member
Reaction score
Swanley
Driving
Not an MG
D3F1DFAE-8E15-44C2-8E42-195F1DFA9500.jpeg

This should be a guide as to how much it will be in the UK. So around the £37-39k mark.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG electric car news: MG4 delivered. Also rising electricity prices. And more.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Top Bottom