Can the MG ZS EV use Tesla chargers?

Murray T

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've recently bought a MG ZS EV and am very pleased with it. I did a deal with a local guest house to use his Tesla charger (the one for non- Tesla EVs). My car says it is "connected but not charging" but remains in that state and refuses to actually charge. I've tried re-setting the wall unit and disconnecting and reconnecting the cable to the car. The guest house owner says he has had no trouble charging other EVs.

Does anyone know if this is a known problem with the MG ZS EV or is it likely that the Tesla charger is faulty?

We had the same trouble with a Tesla charger. However sometimes our MG started charging. Unfortunately we couldn't find out what exactly the procedure should be. When it worked, most of the time it took a few minutes, and an unlock/lock and a disconnect/connect was always involved.

Last edited:
Two weeks later our electrician came up with a quite bold idea which proved to be the solution. Inside the Tesla Wallbox there is a dipswitch, and in the Tesla manual it reads that position 2 should always be 'ON' (=in the upper position). We changed position 2 to 'OFF' (=the lower position) and since then, we experienced no more problems with charging the MG EV.

Last edited:
Tesla WC dip switch settings.png

In order to access the dipswitch, you will need a T10 Torx driver to remove the screw at the bottom of the outer cover. And then a T20 security pin Torx driver to remove the six screws on the sealingcover :unsure:

We had the same trouble with a Tesla charger. However sometimes our MG started charging. Unfortunately we couldn't find out what exactly the procedure should be. When it worked, most of the time it took a few minutes, and an unlock/lock and a disconnect/connect was always involved.
Many thanks for your reply. That's very helpful.

Two weeks later our electrician came up with a quite bold idea which proved to be the solution. Inside the Tesla Wallbox there is a dipswitch, and in the Tesla manual it reads that position 2 should always be 'ON' (=in the upper position). We changed position 2 to 'OFF' (=the lower position) and since then, we experienced no more problems with charging the MG EV.
Many thanks again.

I have two chargers from Tesla. One is for non Tesla EVs.
it charges every type of ev EXCEPT MGs.
I suggest that rather than ask likes of me to change my chargers the MG community should ask MG to alter their cars.

Exactly my point. I will consult my electrician but if MG is out of step obviously the answer is for MG to change. To expect owners of EV charging points to change their machines for one marque is ridiculous.

If the dip switches are for the earthing arrangement of your incoming mains supply should you really change them?
Switch 1 seems to relate to earthing systems. Definitely don't change that one. The other one is sometimes the "legacy mode" enabler, which allows non-Tesla vehicles to charge.

My understanding is that the latest models of Tesla EVSEs is that they ignore that switch, and only charge Tesla vehicles.

I was provided two chargers by Tesla. One is a Tesla and the other is Type 2. They are about to provide me with two more. MG are out of step; owners should point this out as Type 2 is the new Standard.

I was provided two chargers by Tesla. One is a Tesla and the other is Type 2. They are about to provide me with two more. MG are out of step; owners should point this out as Type 2 is the new Standard.
The OP was just asking nicely about using a Tesla charger. I also run a Tesla. Are you referring to cables? My home wallbox (podpoint) charges both my Tesla and my MGZS. MG provided a granny and I purchased a type 2 cable. My Tesla uses a type 2 connection so does my MG. I’m not sure what points you are trying to make here - no-one in the MG community is asking you to change your chargers, they’re just trying to find out more about using different chargers. The MG uses a type 2 and CCS connector - the same as my Tesla.

I am not trying to make any point except that I am providing chargers for my clients and I want to give my guests a great service, so it is frustrating that MGs don’t work on my type 2 charger, when it is a universal charger and I understood Type 2 was the adopted standard.

The charging units I have been provided with have fixed cables as part of them, with no socket to plug anything into.
This is obviously an issue for MG drivers - if it wasn’t there would not be these forums and postings.
This experience has certainly put me off buying a MG ev.

Can't understand why any destination bothers with Tesla chargers....I must be missing something! Why disadvantage other EV drivers by having an EV brand specific charger. Doesn't make sense to me.

@jamesie - back in the early days when there were only Tesla's on the road, Tesla destination chargers were a thing because the business owner hosting the charger would make a decision to install it in the hope of swaying Tesla drivers to stop by and buy whatever they're selling.
Not being EV experts, they simply did what was convenient.

In reality, had they just installed a generic Type2 wallbox, then this problem would never have existed, any T2 EV can plug in without issue..

Just lack of a higher level of strategic thinking.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom