Can/will only the dealer who sold the vehicle deal with warranty claims?

Shimi6

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi, newbie here. I am thinking of ordering a ZS EV. What is making me pause is that the dealer who has the vehicle I would like to buy is 150 miles from where I live. In the event there was a major failure, for example battery or mechanical, would I be able to get the vehicle attended to by my local MG dealer or is it likely that only the dealer who sold you the car would deal with warranty claims? I am keen to avoid 300 mile round trips to try and resolve warranty issues. Thanks in anticipation.

Hi, newbie here. I am thinking of ordering a ZS EV. What is making me pause is that the dealer who has the vehicle I would like to buy is 150 miles from where I live. In the event there was a major failure, for example battery or mechanical, would I be able to get the vehicle attended to by my local MG dealer or is it likely that only the dealer who sold you the car would deal with warranty claims? I am keen to avoid 300 mile round trips to try and resolve warranty issues. Thanks in anticipation.
Is it 2nd hand? You say order but then the dealer "has" it?

In general if serviced by MG in accordance w warranty it should have the balance of manufacturers warranty remaining, which is valid at any MG dealership for warranty work.

I bought my car from a dealer that didn’t have a garage, was just a showroom. Took it to another one to have a look at brakes squeaking under warranty with no problem. I think whenever they do warranty repairs they just claim the hours back from MG.

The warranty is with MG and their network of dealers.
If you moved house you would need to find another MG dealer then.

Thanks all for your replies. My local MG dealer/service centre does not have any stock. I am therefore intending to purchase a new Ev from a dealer/service centre 150 miles away. There appears to be a very limited stock of MG VS Trophy Extended in the country as far as I can tell hence why I am considering purchasing from a non-local dealer. I have contacted around ten across the country today and have been quoted anything between 4 to 12 months for delivery. No two dealers said the same thing!

Yes, I perhaps should have said purchasing, not ordering. In this case the dealer has a few coming over on a slow boat from China due to arrive in November. This is the ‘fastest’ way I have found to eventually/hopefully get my hands on a new vehicle at this time.

Thanks all for your replies. My local MG dealer/service centre does not have any stock. I am therefore intending to purchase a new Ev from a dealer/service centre 150 miles away. There appears to be a very limited stock of MG VS Trophy Extended in the country as far as I can tell hence why I am considering purchasing from a non-local dealer. I have contacted around ten across the country today and have been quoted anything between 4 to 12 months for delivery. No two dealers said the same thing!
If it helps as well, I bought the service plan from a dealer 250 miles away near my parents as the dealer near me wanted £150 more and I can use any dealer for the service.

I got my car from Chorley MG Burnley, I live in Dudley in the west Midlands so I will be taking it to a service centre in Birmingham when it' needs anything doing to it.
Mg brindley in Wolverhampton seem to be ok, £35.94 for my first service(below 10k miles) on my mg5.
Might have decent prices for other servicing/parts etc.
And it's right next to a wickes so you can have a browse if you're the diy type.

Mg brindley in Wolverhampton seem to be ok, £35.94 for my first service(below 10k miles) on my mg5.
Might have decent prices for other servicing/parts etc.
And it's right next to a wickes so you can have a browse if you're the diy type.
They collected and returned my car at no extra charge, a 22 mile round trip.

Bought mine from Chorley. It's a hike from Swansea so I asked the local dealer about it and they said they will place the car under their name and deal with issues/servicing as they arise.
I had to have a rear door lock mechanism replaced under warranty and they did it no problem.

Pop into your local dealer and ask them. Our local dealer were unable to get hold of any stock but I found a car in a dealership 135 miles away. Our local dealer was only too happy to do any warranty work and, of course, to service the car in the years to come…

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom