Car beeped at me today

Kithmo

Distinguished Member
Solutions
Reaction score
I thought seeing as you can lock the car, then unlock the rear hatch without unlocking the doors that I would see if I could lock an unlocked car with the hatch open. When I pressed the lock button on the driver's door the car beeped the horn (not a bong) once, then when I closed the hatch the car locked itself.
I thought, ok the beep (why not a bong) is telling me the hatch is open, but the car locking itself when I closed the hatch got me worried that I could possibly lock the keys in the boot.
Would it still automatically lock with the keys in the boot and would I be able to unlock the hatch with the keys in proximity to the hatch lock if they were in the boot ?

There is absolutely no way you will ever be allowed to lock your key inside the car!
The other day I was out with my wife and we both had our keys with us. The car was parked (locked) while we went shopping and we returned to put some bags in the boot before going for lunch. My wife decided she didn’t need her jacket and took it off, threw it in and closed the hatch. It wasn’t just a bong........the horn sounded, the hazards flashed and it wouldn’t lock!
She reacts well to the ’death-stare’ these days......lunch was great and on her!

Thanks @GordieG for putting my mind at rest as I'm usually out on my own in the car and usually have only one set of keys with me.

Yes the protection side of things seem to be well worked out with the ZS EV or the eZS as apparently our Chinese masters want the car to be known as.
The car will never lock with the key inside.
My key once slip into the compartment under the boot floor board while putting in the shopping. When I got HOME and got the shopping out I could not lock the car. It took ages to understand what the problem was and a whole 24 hours to find the key.

I suppose I could have done this instead of asking the silly question, but I tried it at home today, with the spare key at hand just in case, but out of range. With the car locked, I opened the boot and chucked the key in, shut the hatch and it sounded like it locked but immediately unlocked again, so I was able to open the hatch and retrieve the key.(y)

There is absolutely no way you will ever be allowed to lock your key inside the car!
The other day I was out with my wife and we both had our keys with us. The car was parked (locked) while we went shopping and we returned to put some bags in the boot before going for lunch. My wife decided she didn’t need her jacket and took it off, threw it in and closed the hatch. It wasn’t just a bong........the horn sounded, the hazards flashed and it wouldn’t lock!
She reacts well to the ’death-stare’ these days......lunch was great and on her!
Hi.
I would like you to know that you can be locked out. We were out Sunday 27/12/2020.
Whilst visiting a local Garden Centre.
As a family and during the visit l took my coat off as the heat l the building was very effective we then returned to the car and l put my coat in the boot of the MG EV (With key in pocket) l then tried to open the door and it would not unlock after many attempts we called a family member to deliver our spare key.
Please Note, and thanfully it only cost 2 hours.
PS Grand kids were over the moon

Hi.
I would like you to know that you can be locked out. We were out Sunday 27/12/2020.
Whilst visiting a local Garden Centre.
As a family and during the visit l took my coat off as the heat l the building was very effective we then returned to the car and l put my coat in the boot of the MG EV (With key in pocket) l then tried to open the door and it would not unlock after many attempts we called a family member to deliver our spare key.
Please Note, and thanfully it only cost 2 hours.
PS Grand kids were over the moon

If the car detects the key in boot, it will auto-open the boot a second after it closes. If the key is masked/blocked by coats, bags etc and not detected, the boot will not auto-open.

Thats why I have my keys on a lanyard. Also the old school method of locking the car after using the boot, not before also works.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom