• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Ceramic Coatings

Big Al

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Anyone any experience with ceramic paint coatings? Wondering if it would make it easier to clean my black trophy. Which does tend to show the water marks after a wash

I've looked into it and plan to get my Black Trophy coated too, for exactly the same reason.

I currently have it on my vehicle. It basically provides another layer of protection against swirl marks, bird poo, tree sap, small particles causing scratching etc. It will not protect against stone chips or deeper scratches. It does allow the water to bead off the car more effectively. That said you still get rain marks and if you do a half hearted wash it will show...at least it does on mine. It definitely is easier to clean the car. I most definitely do not recommend using the car wash be it automatic or using the foam brush!
If I do a good power wash using a snow foam gun the dirt falls off in the foam easily, then a rinse followed by a towel dry it doesn't need polished as the ceramic coat maintains the shine more effectively than wax imo and no water marks!

That's my own experience to date in a soft water area. Others?

Alan

I've been looking into this too over the last couple of days.

The rough quote I got wasn't cheap for a ceramic coating but I imagine a self healing PPF wouldn't be much cheaper.

I live in a soft water area and really have an issue with water spotting, but it's my hope that by adding some protection it'll help in keeping the car looking good and make the cleaning process far easier

Thanks Alan. Yip not expecting miracles, but have found Black seems to show everything, so if it helps take some of the effort out of cleaning, that’s what I’m looking for. I’ll have a look around for some quotes

There is some good self apply options out there nowadays. Worth bearing in mind if your jaw drops after a professional quote :eek:

Alan

I currently have it on my vehicle. It basically provides another layer of protection against swirl marks, bird poo, tree sap, small particles causing scratching etc. It will not protect against stone chips or deeper scratches. It does allow the water to bead off the car more effectively. That said you still get rain marks and if you do a half hearted wash it will show...at least it does on mine. It definitely is easier to clean the car. I most definitely do not recommend using the car wash be it automatic or using the foam brush!
If I do a good power wash using a snow foam gun the dirt falls off in the foam easily, then a rinse followed by a towel dry it doesn't need polished as the ceramic coat maintains the shine more effectively than wax imo and no water marks!

That's my own experience to date in a soft water area. Others?

Alan
I had my orange coated at the dealers. I’ve only had mine a week but all the flies wiped off the front with no effort. A damp cloth took the sea gull droppings off the wing and boot easily. I think the coating helped.

Probably mostly labour as preparation preparation preparation is key before careful application. Material costs depend on what make/type of coating is used. My previous cx5 was quoted at £900...:eek:...nooooo

Do your research auto express is a good place for polish/coatings and the like. You can pay a car detailing expert to do it a lot cheaper than getting a dealer to do it.....personally I like builthammer wax it also means I can do the job myself.

I had the shine coating by the dealer. It was £279 and you hand a LifeShine aftercare pack which included everything from shampoo, bird dropping wipes to instant tyre dressing etc

I saw a black zs in the showroom when I went for test drive on Saturday, it had G4 glasscoat on while it shone very nicely, the swirls stood out as I got closer to the car :(.
My boss wife has Aston Martin, he has new BMW M2 both have had ceramic coating, but had it detailed, taking out swirls, his BMW with detailing , 2 coats of G4 and 1 coat on alloys was around £800, would have been less without wheels and only 1 coat. both cars really really look the part.
I am looking at detailing to get rid of swirls, 2 coats of coating, wheels not required. expecting to pay under £600.

Been using Carpro CQUK 3.O here for the last couple of cars and rate them highly.
Easy to apply and look great too. Needs a fair bit of prep before applying though for best results. Normally take a few days off and spend hours polishing the car getting rid of as much swirls etc as possible.

My ZSEV (13.5K miles many of which in the narrow lanes of Herefordshire with overgrown hedges) is fast approaching its 3rd birthday and I hope to sell it a really good price and possibly px it for a new MG4. The bodywork is in showroom condition as I had a professional apply Diamondbrite coating and subsequently used that brand shampoo and occasionally body restorer, these items came as a freebie.
I wouldn't dream of putting any half decent car through a car wash either.

I agree with Ingo. Had my MG5 done by the dealer before I collected it Diamondbright.
I have got the Dynamic red and it always looks good and bird muck just wipes of with a tissue.

I agree with Ingo. Had my MG5 done by the dealer before I collected it Diamondbright.
I have got the Dynamic red and it always looks good and bird muck just wipes of with a tissue.
Did they do a full detailing before putting the coating on ?
Saw a Black zs in showroom with the G4 coating on and It was massively obvious that no detailing had been done before application as the swirls in the paint were so obvious. :( shame as the the car pinged under the bright lights.

I personally wouldn't worry too much in getting it professinally done, as the finish (on mine at least) is a little bit agricultural / quite a bit of orange peel - what I may do though is try a bit of these ceramic coatings (as my car lives under a tree) - and bird poo (mainly) & tree sap doesn't do a recent paintwork any good what so ever.

Anyone any experience with ceramic paint coatings? Wondering if it would make it easier to clean my black trophy. Which does tend to show the water marks after a wash
Got mine done with guardex, dealer did it, works really well. Had it on my last 4 cars, never needed to polish them. Marvellous

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 423 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back