• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

chargeplace scotland app - worst software ever or is it just me?

symcbean

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Just picked up my ZS EV today (fortunately fully charged) and loving it.

But now I'm thinking about what happens when it needs recharged.

I signed up to chargeplace Scotland on the 11th August, requesting an RFID card but the card has not shown up yet. I've downloaded the app on my phone - a Huawei P20 lite (8 core ARM). This claims that I can start a charging session from the app, but the software appears to be an ergonomic disaster on a truly epic scale.

By profession I design and manage complex software systems - so I don't think my failures so far reflect a lack of understanding on my part - but I would be happy to be proved wrong.

Every time I open the map, it shows an area of around 3000 km2. I need to manually zoom to my current location to have any hope of identifying a nearby charger.
1630089033986.png

If I close the app and go back, the zoom has reset. Pressing the re-centre button also resets the zoom. The manual zoom is not without issue either - although my phone is fast enough for all the other apps I use, it gets confused when its trying to render the map at the same time I'm still zooming and mis-interprets the touch gestures as pan/scroll so when the rendering eventually catches up with a backlog of events it is drawing a region a hundred miles away from where I intended to be.

Still, at least if I have already found a charger, then all I need to do is type in its number in the "Find a charger" text box?

Unfortunately no. While selecting this does indeed open up a keyboard, nothing I type appears in the text box.

The website on my mobile phone, defaults to a view of approx 4km2, far more usable, and the pan/zoom does not display the same horrendous lag. But I can't find any way to start a charging session from there.

Is anyone else using the app? Successfully? Is there a way to set the default zoom? Can you start charging from the website?

I don't have the app, but with knowledge of other apps, have spotted a little compass symbol in the bottom right corner of the screen shown. With other apps pressing this zooms in on your location (provided you have given the app permission to use your location).
Also usually the text box for find a charger usually requires a location, e.g. Falkirk, not a charger id.

Maybe someone who has the app will be of more help.

I do have the app, but I've had the card a lot longer. App was only released/updated recently (in the lead up to SWARCO taking over) and I've not had any real issues, although I rarely use it, unless I forget my card.

I'm hesitant to use the Windows solution with a software engineer, but have you tried turning it....I'm not even gonna continue with that 🤦‍♂️.

I'd try a reinstall first. Then try the top right tag to remove some of the clutter. Ultra rapids aren't much use to us really. The app "should" show the full UK, then zoom in after a few seconds after it gets a GPS fix.

Selecting a charger icon should show something like this:-
Screenshot_20210828-105038_ChargePlace Scotland.jpg

The up arrow should give a list of available chargers in that location, and selecting any charger from that list should give the options to control charging.

Screenshot_20210828-105045_ChargePlace Scotland.jpg
Screenshot_20210828-105056_ChargePlace Scotland.jpg

I wouldn't expect a response from their email support, still waiting on a reply to one I sent a few weeks ago. Phone helpline can be quite busy, but if you can get through, they should be able to start a charge for you, if you're still having app issues.

There's definitely some work needed on their app and in particular the "find my nearest charger" or "find a charger on my route" functionality. As the primary source of Scotland's public charging infrastructure it needs to be an integrated source of up to date information for EV driver - whilst driving!!

That said, I have found their telephone support really good. Quick call time (no more than a minute to get to speak to someone) and they generally are able to solve your issue.

perhaps the term you're looking for is 'pish' :) - a lot of apps still finding their feet and scrambling for a piece of the pie, hopefully it'll be 'sortit' soon enough :)

Have to say I'm not impressed with the new CPS set up. App is useless, website is not much better. Was told last week I needed to order a new card which I've done (despite them having previously said I didn't need too) but still not received it.

My daughter borrowed car last night - promised to plug it in somewhere and charge it - but both the charging bays at her destination had cars parked in them - plugged in but not charging. Today I was down to my last 20 miles of range - and having MAJOR range anxiety. Really; the last time I was this wound up was when I had to give up drinking coffee.

SWMBO says that there are "ALWAYS" free charging bays outside Marks and Spencer's at Braehead (which is within my remaining 20 mile radius). So I hop in the car and drive up there to find every charger in use. Deep breath. Count to 10. I shall just wait.

I didn't have to wait too long until a space became available - drove in, hooked up my cable. Pulled out my phone and fired up the app. Struggled with the zoom thing. Eventually managed to get the right spot on the map. Yes, I CAN do this electric car thing. Happy thoughts. Now which charger do I switch on....

The numbers on the charging stations do not match up to the numbers on the map.

I try phoning ChargePlace Scotland - Listened to their IVR for 10 minutes then gave up. I then (stupidly) tried to use another "feature" in the application - "Report a fault". I click the button. My email client starts up. And that's it. No blank email. No email address.

Did they ask Haliburton to write the software for them?

Starting to get properly ticked off with their chargers not working.

The rapids have been giving me trouble for weeks, but today marks the start of the destination chargers not working for me either. Parked up at Larkhall this morning, plugged in, relays clunked, charging started. Locked the car and jumped on the train. One 10 hour shift later, come back to find sod all charging has been carried out 🤬

For anyone who has persisted in reading the thread this far....double clicking on the map in the app zooms in a bit more reliably than the usual to touch spread motion.

(update: currently the car is plugged in at a "rapid" charger and getting aroung around 7kw.
1630704541594.png

have spotted a little compass symbol in the bottom right corner of the screen shown. With other apps pressing this zooms in on your location (provided you have given the app permission to use your location).
Yes - that's what I described as "re-centre" button in my original post. And no it does not do that in the CPS app.

The little button works fine for me in iOS. Only thing I’ve noticed is it can take a few seconds to find GPS when I’m the house but waiting and then pressing, zooms into my location. If I scroll away or zoom out, pressing button re-centres again.

Admittedly, since I don’t get my car until today, usage of the app so far has only been scrolling and investigating nearby charge points.

For anyone who has persisted in reading the thread this far....double clicking on the map in the app zooms in a bit more reliably than the usual to touch spread motion.

(update: currently the car is plugged in at a "rapid" charger and getting aroung around 7kw.
View attachment 4715
Blimey I thought our free Engie rapids in West Yorkshire were slow delivering only 20/22kW but 7kW - wow.

Today I discovered the nearest charger to my work is unfortunately under water.

View attachment 4642
(although when I try the postcode displayed in the app, Google thinks its about 5 miles north of here).
I can relate to that. The app had a ChargePoint right in the middle of a sheep pen a mile away from the b&b we were staying at last week. I am not sure who was more disappointed, the shepherd or I.

I spoke with the ChargePlace Scotland people and they said they had taken over the “BP System” and the app/software was, in his words, “rubbish”. I get that, but when I was in the software business, absolutely everything had to go through CAT (Customer Acceptance Testing) before being rolled out - mind you that was at least ten years ago!

I spoke with the ChargePlace Scotland people and they said they had taken over the “BP System” and the app/software was, in his words, “rubbish”. I get that, but when I was in the software business, absolutely everything had to go through CAT (Customer Acceptance Testing) before being rolled out - mind you that was at least ten years ago!
The problem is that until fairly recently CPS was free to use. By doing so the Scottish Gov created a rod for their own backs (although the reason behind it was very sound) as who would want to put money into a network and not be rewarded for it?
In England we all looked at the free charging with envy but I think in the long run it has led to so many new charging networks which are reliable most of the times.

I think you are right.
Now that many local authorities are about to charge ( I'll get my coat lol) I think there will be an increase in suppliers.
Interestingly there are two non CPS chargers within 2 miles of my house. They are always empty as they have a fee. Once North Ayrshire Council start charging for use I suspect they will become busier

Just picked up my ZS EV today (fortunately fully charged) and loving it.

But now I'm thinking about what happens when it needs recharged.

I signed up to chargeplace Scotland on the 11th August, requesting an RFID card but the card has not shown up yet. I've downloaded the app on my phone - a Huawei P20 lite (8 core ARM). This claims that I can start a charging session from the app, but the software appears to be an ergonomic disaster on a truly epic scale.

By profession I design and manage complex software systems - so I don't think my failures so far reflect a lack of understanding on my part - but I would be happy to be proved wrong.

Every time I open the map, it shows an area of around 3000 km2. I need to manually zoom to my current location to have any hope of identifying a nearby charger.
View attachment 4599

If I close the app and go back, the zoom has reset. Pressing the re-centre button also resets the zoom. The manual zoom is not without issue either - although my phone is fast enough for all the other apps I use, it gets confused when its trying to render the map at the same time I'm still zooming and mis-interprets the touch gestures as pan/scroll so when the rendering eventually catches up with a backlog of events it is drawing a region a hundred miles away from where I intended to be.

Still, at least if I have already found a charger, then all I need to do is type in its number in the "Find a charger" text box?

Unfortunately no. While selecting this does indeed open up a keyboard, nothing I type appears in the text box.

The website on my mobile phone, defaults to a view of approx 4km2, far more usable, and the pan/zoom does not display the same horrendous lag. But I can't find any way to start a charging session from there.

Is anyone else using the app? Successfully? Is there a way to set the default zoom? Can you start charging from the website?
I'm new to the app (to the whole thing) but it all seems to work 'except' for the fact that I had already filled my card details into the web site and for some reason they have not transferred to the app and lo and behold I had to enter them all again... I know a little of programming and wonder why the little things that about us have not been taken care of. An auto zoom should be straightforward. Transfer of details from web site to app should be straightforward. A little reminder that we don't plug into the car till charging is ready to commence wouldn't go amiss. A very patient helpline operative told me it's almost always why we can't get started with charging - for the first time.
Oh, wow... Wait till the whole nation goes down this road.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom