• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Charging across Europe

EVsince2016

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
In August I drove my EV to Portugal and thought I'd share what I learnt.

Portugal

In Portugal there is a law that mandates that ALL public chargers must allow any approved App/RFID to operate them, so all chargers basically work on just one app / RFID card.

When I went to sign up I found that you needed a Portuguese address and tax ID to sign up. After a lot of research I found one provider that allows a UK address and I promptly signed up and they sent me a RFID card.

This is miio - Mobilidade elétrica, simples!

The card worked for me on absolutely every public charger that required activation without fail. I did find one that had comms failure but that was it. So anyone wanting to travel to Portugal, it's super easy once you are there!

Spain

In Spain I found the Electromaps RFID tag to be the most reliable and cheapest. I already had a Chargemap pass and New Motion card but didn't use them. I also had the apps for the cards plus plugsurfer.

I tried to sort out the Repsol app but couldn't get around the Spanish address / tax code issue and Iberdrola just wouldn't allow me to add a payment card.

The Easycharger app was very useful. Again I had the Spanish Address / tax ID issue but I just emailed them and they sorted it for me.

I also added the WENEA app which worked. They even called me when I connected to see if everything was OK, because it wouldn't work.

I found Spain a bit tricky as I found chargers that needed another app / wouldn't accept the cards they were supposed to.

Spain is a pain.

I am at final planning stage of my next epic EU driving trip, this time in the MG5. 2500-3000 miles across several countries!

I have been reviewing my Apps & RFID cards and things have changed!

Chargemap has not changed & I'll use that in France but Electromaps has switched from pre-pay to PAYG so needed a lot of updating. Miio now also covers charging in Spain and I have added the Octopus Electric Juice charging RFID. New Motion has changed apps to be under Shell, so more updating done.

WENEA is the same but is now also covered by Miio RFIDs, Easycharger is now Zunder plus I have Juice Pass from ENEL.

Repsol & Iberdrola still say no & customer services are useless. There are also no chargers in Andorra that you can use without being a resident. I contacted FEDA, researched online but no, Andorra doesn't welcome visiting EV drivers at all. Hmmm.

The extra range of the MG5 over a LEAF will of course help as will the lack of over-heating battery pack & all those new chargers installed. I hope there's no queues!!

I will take pictures & blog about the trip when I get back with my observations. I expect to set new daily mileage records for my EV driving! Potentially a 1 day driving record even beating my longest Diesel drive distance in a day!

Have a great time and I look forward to the blog, maybe even a few posts along the way ?

We've made our first stop in France. Charged at Folkestone Grid serve. Both were free but the Ionity had 3 of 4 in use.

In France I used the Electic Juice card from Octopus. Bit of a queue but they were waiting for the 350s so I hopped on the 50, quick enough!

Averaged 3.9 m/kw at 65 mph

Today we stopped at 4 Ionity chargers and traveled 470 miles. We only needed 3 but you do need to stop. I guess about £60 total cost at 66p/kw. Averaged 3.9 at a mix of 65-70mph but these motorways are hilly climbing over 1000m.

The biggest surprise that I had on the trip was just how fast the MG 5 charges. Once warned up the battery was charging at up to 90kw even at 50%. I arrived at a 350kw rapid plugged in and charged then left whilst various VW IDs, Skoda Enjacs etc were still charging up. We got to check all the others and the MG was out charging most cars, Audi BMW Volvo.

All I can think is whilst they have higher peaks the MG maintains high rates longer. Got a few odd looks unplugging so quickly!

IMG_20220801_172511463.jpg

Last edited:
Another discovery on the trip has been that the inbuilt satnav is excellent. Hate it in the UK but over here, it's better than Android auto. Strange? Excellent junction directions, lane information etc and no data usage :cool:

Another discovery on the trip has been that the inbuilt satnav is excellent. Hate it in the UK but over here, it's better than Android auto. Strange? Excellent junction directions, lane information etc and no data usage :cool:
Interesting

So, one thousand miles in on motorways and mountain roads, no slow careful driving and I'm getting 4.0 miles/kw, not bad.

It keeps coming up with alternative routes, diversions around traffic etc.

Could it be Brexit stopped certain capabilities in the UK?
Diversions around traffic ? I wasn't aware it had live updates. Are these perhaps just well known problem areas?
Have you compared it by running say Google maps with same route on your phone at the same time.

Diversions around traffic ? I wasn't aware it had live updates. Are these perhaps just well known problem areas?
Have you compared it by running say Google maps with same route on your phone at the same time.
I don't think it has live traffic but what it seems to do is provide an alternative route whenever you get stuck in traffic.

Andorra trip.

We did a circular trip from France to Spain and Andorra before returning to France. 3 countries, 6 mountain passes and probably 100 hairpins!

On the way out I tried an Iberdrola charger, only 10% added but as we needed to stop I tried it. Easy to use and in a batch of 5 in 5 villages. Activation was by electromaps token, very simple.

I used the FEDA rapid in Andorra, one of two there using the electromaps token, simple.

On the way back I dared try an Aviva unit, ex Corri door, an ageing DBT unit same as the old ecotricity one. I had problems. The chargemap RFID activated it but comms failed with the car and then the card was declined. I moved onto the electromaps token which worked but comms again failed. Luckily I could keep trying with this token. The solution turned out to be that I had to lock the car once plugged in as this old unit wouldn't work otherwise. I could still unlock once it was charging but a lesson learnt.

As to charging at holiday cottages. You need an EU socket adapter, a 10m lead and the granny charger. None of the advertised plugs are close enough to reach with the granny alone

Today I drove from the French Pyrenees to Portugal, over 600 miles smashing my EV and ice daily record. I still feel relaxed.

If anyone now dares tell me that an EV is only suitable for short trips they might hear something they will not like
IMG_20220807_191452490.jpg

Charger 1 was Ionity on a octopus card, 2 was on electromaps, 3 zunder plug and play, 4 electromaps, 5 zunder, 6 Portugal on Miio.

Cruising mostly at 70-75 apart from one long charger gap at 65.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom